• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

I mean, it's really on Nintendo for not seeing the potential of taking Pokemon to other platforms (outside of mobile)/game genres.. it's not like Palworld even had massive development resources to throw this together but even the psuedo-pokemon just really resonating with folks.

2 buddies and I downloaded Palworld last night and played for 7 straight hours without blinking. Haven’t done that since WoW days. It’s a straight up survival game (think Valheim) with Pokemon that you use to help you with your farm/home and in battle. You can choose from 3 difficulties that will essentially determine how long it’s going to take for you to play the game. The gameplay mechanics are smooth. Battles are live action, so the ability to be able to cycle through and throw different Pokemon easily was a huge plus (since only 1 can be out at a time). It’s still technically pre-release, so there are definitely some glitches, but they didn’t really hinder the game. Nothing a quick reload couldn’t handle. These games are always more fun with friends. If you’ve never played a survival game this would be a fun one to start with, especially those with kids around that Pokemon age.

Have only played it solo, with other people feels like mayhem. The biggest thing I've found in minimizing the hard crashes is setting a frame rate lock.

I mean, it's really on Nintendo for not seeing the potential of taking Pokemon to other platforms (outside of mobile)/game genres.. it's not like Palworld even had massive development resources to throw this together but even the psuedo-pokemon just really resonating with folks.
Sure. They could put a mainline Mario or Zelda game on the PS and XBox too. But they've been very successful with exclusives on their consoles for almost 40 years.

Sure. They could put a mainline Mario or Zelda game on the PS and XBox too. But they've been very successful with exclusives on their consoles for almost 40 years.
I'm not talking about just taking games they already made to other consoles. Palworld is early access and still honestly pretty light on total content and hit over 2 million concurrent players on Steam alone (PC), which is good for second all time on that metric I think. This from a studio with like 10 developers who didn't even use source control while making the game.

They're missing out on a giant untapped market for their IP with games like this one on multiple platforms. So yeah sure they've been successful but could be a lot more.

I wasn't talking about games they already made either.

I understand what you're saying, but they want that untapped market to buy their console. They could have made Super Mario Bros. for the Commodore 64 back in the day but they didn't. They're not the only company to be tight-fisted with their IP.

I understand what you're saying, but they want that untapped market to buy their console. They could have made Super Mario Bros. for the Commodore 64 back in the day but they didn't. They're not the only company to be tight-fisted with their IP.
You're missing the "games like this one" comment too though, sorry if I didn't split/attempt to parse that out more (multi-platform would be nice to have on top of that for $$$$ and reach, but I get why Nintendo is unlikely to ever let that happen). They need to branch more into different genres IMO. A survival/crafting/building/minecraft-ey style game with pokemon would kill, even if restricted to just Nintendo platforms.

I saw an interview with one of the heads at Nintendo who said not making a Minecraft-type franchise was one of their biggest regrets. But I think TOTK was an attempt to dip a toe into that. I still expect them to develop a multiplayer TOTK follow-up that gets more into the "survival/crafting/building/minecraft-ey style."

Splatoon is their multiplayer shooter franchise by the way, so they do already have that element of Palworld.

Ha, I know Palworld has guns but it's not really a shooter at all or comparable to Splatoon imo. I know there is some PVP on the roadmap at some point but even then I don't see it being a major factor because the pals are so much more powerful than the player characters are.

Also worth pointing out that even though Pokémon is heavily associated with Nintendo, it’s made by Game Freak which is an independent studio

Also worth pointing out that even though Pokémon is heavily associated with Nintendo, it’s made by Game Freak which is an independent studio
Nintendo owns like 32% stake in it? I think they've got enough ownership to basically guarantee/strong arm it into platform exclusivity.

Ahem.
Super Mario Bros for Commodore 64

I know it was a fan project.

I think you both (Ph and Cookout) are both right, but the one thing that isn’t being touched on is just how brain-broken Nintendo is when it comes to their IP and the control of it. It’s the oldest of old way of thinking about it. Even when the obvious decision could earn them more money (letting people stream their games, create tournaments, etc.) they continuously chose the wrong answer to "protect their IP".

Yeah. Seems like they decided to limit the headaches that could come with loosening the IP. Put the next mainline Mario game on PC and maybe it’s a Last of Us situation where it looks like shit.

Ha, I don't think porting games that run on very low-powered hardware has as much risk as PS/Xbox ports to PC do, you can just brute force it a lot easier when the average PC is 10x as powerful as a Switch. In fact there are plenty of Switch titles performing well enough on emulators (which have big overhead) on PCs already.

Is Nintendo doing "just fine" when their market cap is roughly the same as Activision-Blizzard alone?

Is Nintendo worried more about their market cap or just stability?

Ha, I don't think porting games that run on very low-powered hardware has as much risk as PS/Xbox ports to PC do, you can just brute force it a lot easier when the average PC is 10x as powerful as a Switch. In fact there are plenty of Switch titles performing well enough on emulators (which have big overhead) on PCs already.

Is Nintendo doing "just fine" when their market cap is roughly the same as Activision-Blizzard alone?

Nintendo's strategy is always inscrutable, IMO

can confirm the playcalling is much harder to cheese now

it's still a little frustrating that I can regularly run like 80+ plays/game, and the game's natural progression is still easy/persistent enough that I can reliably compete for a 5* or two every season, but I'm having a lot more fun with it for now

I know that I'm ~6 months late to the party, but I downloaded BG3 yesterday and started playing with the girlfriend backsteating/helping me with dialogue and decisions and oh my god is it a blast.

Back