• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Virginia Tech Fans Savage Their QB For Declaring Early And Not Getting Drafted

A lot of seemingly good prospects have opted for the draft since our Collins hired his agent. There are only so many lottery positions available. I hope JC does not have a similar disappointment to the VT QB. Wish he would be back but since that is gone, I really hope he gets drafted and made the right decision.

Same. My recollection is that folks were mostly disappointed he didn't make it. I don't really recall anyone "scorching" him for leaving.

I was certainly disappointed he didn't make it! He had redshirted his 1st year, then played 3 years and led us in tackles all 3 years. Was never going to get any taller for the NFL so it was a great way for him to try it by going out on top as an ACC champ! It was a shame that he had a bad hammy I think at the combine and didn't have good times. I am hoping we show him some love in the future and get him back here for some games!

Ugly and embarrassing for the Hokies: [URL="http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/05/nfl

Sounds about like our fans when Jon Abbate declared early for the NFL draft and didn't make a squad. Forget that he had a personal family tragedy when he lost his brother, forget all about the fact that he led us to an ACC title and the Orange Bowl and had a chance to go out on top. Deacon fans still scorched him for leaving early.

This seems like revisionist history. I don't remember people being to hard on Abbate.

Saw a good article yesterday talking about the reasons players declare early and why, for many of them, it might still end up being a good decision even if they don't get drafted. Career backups and scout team players have a horizon on their careers too, and each year you stay in college, you're taking a year off your NFL career. The not-quite-tall-enough/not-quite-fast-enough player isn't going to go from undrafted to top 3 rounds by staying another year, no matter how much he produces in his senior year. So the decision may mean 5 years vs 4 years of 6 figure pay on the second team or scout squad. And even if staying 1 more year moves you from UDFA to Rd 4 pick, you're going to have to stick and get to your second contract to make real money. For that player who ends up making it, the sooner you leave, the sooner you get to the second contract.

Plenty of examples where staying was the right choice but hard to blame a guy for taking the paycheck while it's there. (Easy to blame him if he squanders it and ends up in the same position at age 27 either way...)

Back