• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Voting for a presidential candidate other than Obama or Romney

Yes. As much as I wish Johnson had a reasonable platform and opportunity to be a legitimate candidate, voting for him is like watching Falcons-Cowboys last night and rooting for the Broncos.

Very poor analogy.

It is like having a Browns/Chiefs game on and still watching when the World Cup/NHL finals/World series is on because, it is football. You either watch football because you enjoy it and the teams that are playing, or you watch a better event because it is a better event.

Just because other people are not watching what interests you, does not make it a good idea to watch what they are watching. If you watch what you want, the ratings will increase and the publicity/promotion of the other sports will increase.

Edited to add: and then you complain that the only games you get to watch are crappy NFL games.

Last edited:
Only Obama or Romney are going to win this election. If one suits your interest better than the other, vote for him.

PH, what's your solution for someone like me who considers themselves a progressive and is dismayed by Obama's kill list, use of drone warfare, excessive corporate welfare, weak healthcare plan, and more? Lesser of two evils is still evil, especially when there are other choices.

I think it is very reasonable to vote for the guy you can tolerate over the guy you really really don't want to be president.

Not when both guys are basically the same. I know I am a broken record but apart from rhetoric an Obama 2nd term and a Romney Administration would be almost indistinguishable on real issues.

I am part of the 5%...I am voting for Johnson.

What percent of the vote does everyone think Johnson is going to get? I say 1.5-2%

His big push has been to get to 5% to force changes in federal election laws. I doubt very seriously that he gets there but it does give people who don't want to "waste" their vote a reason to vote for him.

Not when both guys are basically the same. I know I am a broken record but apart from rhetoric an Obama 2nd term and a Romney Administration would be almost indistinguishable on real issues.

I am part of the 5%...I am voting for Johnson.

Well obviously if there is no one you "really really don't want to be president", then my statement above does not apply to you. Same goes for 724. If neither is an option, then vote third party. I was addressing Hulka's statements. I think choosing bad over worse makes sense. If both are worse, then choose whoever.

What percent of the vote does everyone think Johnson is going to get? I say 1.5-2%

Which is pretty poor consider Johnson has been somewhat in the public eye for awhile. The overall failures of the Libertarian Party and that movement that was trying to draft a legit 3rd party candidate have been understated in this race.

If 1% of the 97,000 people in Florida who voted for Ralph Nader in 2000 had voted for Al Gore, there would never have been a war in Iraq......and there may never have been a 9/11. (We still don't know much about that last one, because neither Bush nor Cheney have agreed to testify regarding what they knew about it beforehand.....and, unlike Clinton and his blowjob....nobody forced them to do so.)

I see. So this election is Bush's fault?

I truly believe that if more people heard the Libertarian platform/position, they would poll much higher. Unfortunately, since they do not cow tow to the money men in DC, they get no national pub....their only hope would be participating in a debate on a presidential scale.

And even then, you would have people saying, "so and so can't win, so I won't vote for them." completely ignoring the benefit they would be providing to the dialogue if they just voted their conscience.

Which is pretty poor consider Johnson has been somewhat in the public eye for awhile. The overall failures of the Libertarian Party and that movement that was trying to draft a legit 3rd party candidate have been understated in this race.

It is a systemic failure more than a failure of the Libertarian Party.

22292_10150944749169364_260433071_n.png

BTW...Johnson is for abolishing the tax code as we know it.

PH, what's your solution for someone like me who considers themselves a progressive and is dismayed by Obama's kill list, use of drone warfare, excessive corporate welfare, weak healthcare plan, and more? Lesser of two evils is still evil, especially when there are other choices.

legit question - whaddya mean by the bolded?

as far as drone warfare, on at least one level, possibly the first level, it's a CYA move.

to the healthcare plan I tell you this, we won't wake up tomorrow with everyone entitled to healthcare, but we will get there in steps. obama has taken a very clear, step, or even leap given the republican opposition, in that direction and given with the constraints within which he works

Serious question, because I haven't followed Johnson at all.

What is Johnson and the Libertarian Party's position on the tax cuts?

Not sure if you would like him...he is generally against rounding up political enemies and shooting them...

Back