• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wahoos

I have to think UVa under Bennett is what Wellman envisioned for Wake under Bz. X&Os, disciplined, system-oriented, etc.

Heh.

I have to think UVa under Bennett is what Wellman envisioned for Wake under Bz. X&Os, disciplined, system-oriented, etc.

Heh.

That's pretty much exactly what Wellman had in mind. I also think he wanted to establish a Wake coaching tree similar to other great programs be using former Wake players as assistants. Bz was just a terrible terrible choice for this experiment.

I don't think that Wellman has the wherewithal to envision anything.

Correct...last one for them was 2008-Landesberg..
Lot of solid top 100 players currently but no McDs guys

He kicked Landesberg off the team too for academics - he doesn't compromise his ethics like Ron and Buzzdick have. And lost a couple of underperforming 4*s from his 1st class. Harris and Mitchell were 3*s who turned out great. Brogdon, Perrantes and Anderson were 4*s I think, maybe Gill too (who transferred from South Carolina when Martin took over). Stith's kid, also a 4*, is coming in next year. Essentially, he's getting a bunch of low 4*s and high 3*s, who buy into his system. Really nice kids too.

Why do we need to use a model different than Duke? Just wondering.

So we need a new model in lieu of hiring a top notch coach and letting him do his thing.

Hiring a top notch coach would seem to be our best alternative. Top notch coaches know how to win and that is what you want. I am tired of this losing and playing poor basketball which sadly goes back to before our current regime.

Doesn't take nearly as good of a coach to have at least some success with top talent as it does to do what Bennett has done.

We've hired eight different coaches since Bones McKinney took us to our only Final Four 52 years ago. You think the next one is going to be the charm and turn us into Duke?

seems to me that we should change our approach then

Why do we need to use a model different than Duke? Just wondering.

This. Anything less than this is LOWF. Yes, I understand that Duke's success is attributed to the greatest college hoops coach in history. However, Duke's success should motivate Wake Forest Athletic Department/Leadership to show that it can be done with the correct pieces in place. Why we would not choose to emulate and or duplicate this is small time. If not, why compete in the ACC?

seems to me that we should change our approach then

Yep. One and dones aren't hurting Duke's reputation as an elite university. In fact, you could argue that recruiting the best talent possible and winning greatly helps.

This. Anything less than this is LOWF. Yes, I understand that Duke's success is attributed to the greatest college hoops coach in history. However, Duke's success should motivate Wake Forest Athletic Department/Leadership to show that it can be done with the correct pieces in place. Why we would not choose to emulate and or duplicate this is small time. If not, why compete in the ACC?

This. In fact, for this upcoming year, Bennett is involved with a few top-50s as well as a handful of guys in the 50-150 range for this next year. I think UVA not being very good for a decade and a half with only a few good seasons in that span left him looking in the 50-200 range his 1st few years. But now that he's put them on the map, I expect to see him landing some top-50s here and there.

Wake could easily make a living recruiting Top 25-150 level recruits. Throw in a Harry Giles/Chris Paul level recruit occasionally and we should be able to compete for the top of the conference.

I don't necessarily disagree with that. Change it what, in your opinion?

My position is that WF is never going to have any consistent success recruiting 2 & done players.....we have a recent futile track record on that approach.....and should, instead, use the approach that Bennett is using at Virginia.

i think we should pay the shit out of someone like shaka smart instead of settling for someone who makes conservative, old, white, southern men happy. i understand that shaka will make some people uncomfortable, but those people like to use vague terms like dignity, integrity and class as an excuse. i think we should try to win instead of merely compete.

ETA - shaka is actually a perfect fit for wake due to his background and approach. unfortunately he also has a weird name and is black so that's a no go.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not....but one & dones are negatively affecting Duke's success on the court. Most, if not all, of Duke's one & dones have occurred in the last ten years or so....and only one of Duke's 15 Final Fours have come since 2004.

incidentally the one and done rule is around 10 years old (i think).

Back