• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake #2 School for Top NBA Talent?

Wake Forest Demon Deacons: Chris Paul (No. 3) and Tim Duncan (4)
Did I mention this list is somewhat dependent on timing? Duncan will retire someday, but that day hasn't come yet, so we find that the program currently struggling mightily in Winston-Salem looks positively beastly in terms of PER at the next level. Paul and Duncan, incredibly, rank Nos. 3 and 4, respectively, among active NBA players in career efficiency. If I'm Wake coach Jeff [Redacted], I'm putting that little factoid on the front of my recruiting brochure. "Come to Wake Forest! Lead the non-LeBron and non-D-Wade NBA in Career PER!"

Wake Forest Demon Deacons: Chris Paul (No. 3) and Tim Duncan (4)
Did I mention this list is somewhat dependent on timing? Duncan will retire someday, but that day hasn't come yet, so we find that the program currently struggling mightily in Winston-Salem looks positively beastly in terms of PER at the next level. Paul and Duncan, incredibly, rank Nos. 3 and 4, respectively, among active NBA players in career efficiency. If I'm Wake coach Jeff [Redacted], I'm putting that little factoid on the front of my recruiting brochure. "Come to Wake Forest! Lead the non-LeBron and non-D-Wade NBA in Career PER!"

Not to mention that we've put Howard, Teague, Songalia, Aminu, and Johnson (and Ish, one could say) into the NBA. Per player: we do a pretty impressive job and our guys do well once they get to the league. It's not like how UK takes credit for DeAndre Liggins and Daniel Orton. Or how Duke gets to claim Lance Thomas.

Supposedly until Chill got promoted, we weren't playing that up nearly as much as we should have been...

Not to mention that we've put Howard, Teague, Songalia, Aminu, and Johnson (and Ish, one could say) into the NBA.

Muggsy says hi. As Does Rodney, Dickie Hemric, and Lenny Chappell. All very solid NBA players.

Muggsy says hi. As Does Rodney, Dickie Hemric, and Lenny Chappell. All very solid NBA players.

The problem with promoting those guys is that they were popular a while ago. High school recruits tend to have a short memory. a recent survey of blue chip football recruits showed that they put little emphasis on program tradition beyond a few years. They pointed out USC and LSU's championships as being dismissed by the recruits because they weren't considered recent by the recruits. At least with Paul, Duncan, Teague, Aminu, and Johnson those guys are still productive in the NBA right now.

Not to mention that we've put Howard, Teague, Songalia, Aminu, and Johnson (and Ish, one could say) into the NBA. Per player: we do a pretty impressive job and our guys do well once they get to the league. It's not like how UK takes credit for DeAndre Liggins and Daniel Orton. Or how Duke gets to claim Lance Thomas.

Supposedly until Chill got promoted, we weren't playing that up nearly as much as we should have been...

:rulz:

I read in Lenox' article today that Virginia Tech has only had one first round draft pick in the history of the program: Dell Curry

I read in Lenox' article today that Virginia Tech has only had one first round draft pick in the history of the program: Dell Curry

And would have been 2 if Greenburg hadn't passed on giving a scholarship to Dell's son Stephen.

...that not a single 2013 recruit knows existed. Our staff is making a concerted effort with recent draftees to get them to use their platform in the NBA as a recruiting chip.

...that not a single 2013 recruit knows existed. Our staff is making a concerted effort with recent draftees to get them to use their platform in the NBA as a recruiting chip.

How does this mesh with [Redacted]'s task of cleaning up the culture around Wake basketball?

I just want to know what was wrong with Wake Forest basketball culture before Bz took over in 2010 and how NBA players who left Wake in 2009 and 2010 weren't part of the problem and are going to be positives in recruiting going forward.

Ph, brilliant question. It really shows the hypocrisy of the whole "culture" rationale/movement. That is all.

I just want to know what was wrong with Wake Forest basketball culture before Bz took over in 2010 and how NBA players who left Wake in 2009 and 2010 weren't part of the problem and are going to be positives in recruiting going forward.

You're too smart to continue trolling on the culture thing. I thought the last of us had determined culture was crap like 6 months ago.

You're too smart to continue trolling on the culture thing. I thought the last of us had determined culture was crap like 6 months ago.

We may have, but Wellman & [Redacted] still want to cram it down our throats...

Oh it's crap, but it's something that Wellman, Bz, and Chill are going to have to rectify publicly or privately to get buy-in from recent players.

Those players were part of the problem, PH. For all their NBA-level talent, they went 1-5 in post-season play from 2008 thru 2010. One win & five losses....and if not for an epic last-minute collapse by Texas it would have been 0-6. And those losses weren't nail-biters, either. They were by 10, 11, 15 (to Cleveland State), 21 (to last-place Miami) & 30.....in that order. Can you see a trend developing there?

In spite of all that talent, they were a total failure in post-season basketball...... but they made a lot of police blotters...and the Today Show...though.

"Hey Jeff and Ish, we're pretty embarassed that you ever wore the old gold & black and we want to distance ourselves from your worthless legacy and alledged unscrupulous activities (hey, can we stop lending a shred of credibility to that Clark/Teague SA charge yet??)....BUT, can you help us out with some much needed recruiting." I would flip Ron or Jeff off as I slammed the door in their faces. You don't burn a bridge when it's your only connection to the mainland.

BTW, the fact that you were able to mention "post-season" in the same breathe with those problems should really put some perspective on the magnitude of a REAL problem, which is the existing edition of Wake Forest basketball. That developing trend was still light years ahead of our swirling turd of a program. I'll take a flame out every day with problem talent over not even sniffing an NIT bid using kids of a good "culture" (good crappy culture).

Awesome. Good publicity for our program should definitely turn into more bitching and moaning about [Redacted]. On a side note, good to see CP3 speaking at basketball camp alongside Bz earlier this week.

Back