• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake +9.5 vs/ State

I don't mind that Manning plays a lot of guys... I just don't understand why the minutes vary so much game to game (or even half to half).

I had initially thought he was just benching guys due to lack of effort or defensive lapses, but I don't see that correlation of late.

I barely remember seeing McClinton, Rountree, or Hudson.

I think he keeps hoping he can find a good player on the bench. Someone who can make a shot anyway. Shooting is to a point that Overton has to play.

Welbekin and Overton are the only guards who can hit a three or a foul shot . It's ineptitude of a comical scale. The other two guards ( juniors) can only drive, leave their feet, and either get the shot blocked or pass to the other team.

I don't mind that Manning plays a lot of guys... I just don't understand why the minutes vary so much game to game (or even half to half).

I had initially thought he was just benching guys due to lack of effort or defensive lapses, but I don't see that correlation of late.

I barely remember seeing McClinton, Rountree, or Hudson.

Agreed. It's very odd. Manning has said a couple of times that everyone needs to be ready to play at all times, so maybe that is part of it?

I would really like to see more McClinton. He's one of the few players that seems to have good defensive skills.

Didn't get a chance to watch the game yet, did you guys zone is any of play mostly man?

Welbekin and Overton are the only guards who can hit a three or a foul shot . It's ineptitude of a comical scale. The other two guards ( juniors) can only drive, leave their feet, and either get the shot blocked or pass to the other team.

I don't mind Overton if his minutes and mental approach are managed closely. He has a good stroke and seems to know how to find openings for clean looks. But his defense is suspect, he doesn't rebound that well and he has a touch of Devi-never-my-fault-itis. Gawd stop with the whining. Notice DM's recruits don't whine. Yet Tree is super positive and several of his Bz-mates act like spoiled brats.

As for Madison, I'm done with him. He just can't seem to harness his natural athletic gifts and of course he can't shoot. But hell, if he we would just learn how to dish to an open big man in the paint when he drives and draws the D!! And his FT stroke reverted back in a hostile, pressure-packed ACC environment. Sigh. He shld play 15 mins tops and probably only when Wilbekin struggles or gets in foul trouble. A virtual waste of quickness and athleticism.

Last edited:
The players Manning brought in shot 9-10 from the FT line. Bz's players shot 7-20 from the FT line.

We suck but we'll still win 6-7 ACC games, essentially matching last year's record.

We suck but we'll still win 6-7 ACC games, essentially matching last year's record.

Is the ACC so weak at the bottom that we could win 6-7 games? After what we've seen through nine games, that seems optimistic.

Is the ACC so weak at the bottom that we could win 6-7 games? After what we've seen through nine games, that seems optimistic.

I'm not convinced we're significantly better or worse than last year, when we won six. I think 6-7 is a reasonable prediction. We do get State and GT twice and I'm not impressed with either. Clemson is a road game which I'd consider winnable. UNC is at the Joel.
Who knows? I didn't arrive at 6-7 through any great scientific means. It's a guess.

Danny is throwing darts at a board.

What is going on is not promising. Hopefully Danny has a master plan...

I looked back to last year and Tulsa only had 2 guys above 55% minutes. Pretty uncommon to see that. Danny just likes to rotate a lot, it seems.

I looked back to last year and Tulsa only had 2 guys above 55% minutes. Pretty uncommon to see that. Danny just likes to rotate a lot, it seems.

Yeah, his comments to the effect of "you produce, or you get benched" seem nice in theory. But if that philosophy results in yanking guys in and out based on single plays, as opposed to their expected ability, it gets frustrating. Good coaches see through mistakes to predict future performance.

I've been trying to figure out what Manning is out to accomplish with the widely varied rotations. I propose that outside of general, boneheaded fuck-ups, he's trying to get guys in there to show some effort (and sense) on D (as a major priority).

Maybe he's really into stats and just wants a lot of data to use to narrow down his rotations for later in the season? #OneCanHope

Last edited:

LMAO. CMM says will practice foul shots for the next 7 days . Look at his career stats . If you can't shoot after heaving it up there that many times , there is a good chance that it's too late to learn .

LMAO. CMM says will practice foul shots for the next 7 days . Look at his career stats . If you can't shoot after heaving it up there that many times , there is a good chance that it's too late to learn .

Your reply has zero to do with the post you quoted, but yes maintain your schtick of attacking one player as if he's our only problem.

Back