• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2017-Regional Champs! On to Supers!

Wake Baseball 2017

You have to win at least three games to advance. Knowing that at least one of those games has to be against a team that isn't UMBC (who is far and away the worst team in the region) why would you throw your best pitcher against them?

First, the luxury of being the first team in the championship game cannot be overstated. Having two chances to move to the super regional, one throwing sellers, is a big deal.

Second, I saw somewhere that UMBC has a collective ERA of something in the mid 5's. Send out Johnstone to not risk anything and if we pile on the runs in the first 3-4 innings then pull him and maybe he can go again Monday (if needed).

I like the decision. Johnstone & Dunshee get us to the championship game; Sellers throws the third game (and could relieve in the first two if necessary); and if we have to play Monday then I like our bullpen against any other in our regional.

EDIT: read the couple comments above yours and realized you're responding to someone saying to throw Dunshee. Agree that's dumb for tomorrow but I'm a fan of Johnstone over Sellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
UMBC doesn't have a stud picture anyway so. A 4.2 era against mostly 200 RPI level competition

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Agreed, he apparently has received at least some interest from pro scouts but seems like those are few and far between as well. Nobody on the team has an ERA under 4.00.

Are they going to be selling beer there or is there a rule change on that for NCAA tournament games? Need to know if I should bring a couple airplane bottles

Anybody got any thoughts on how big the crowd might be tonight? Trying to decide how early I need to get there.

Are they going to be selling beer there or is there a rule change on that for NCAA tournament games? Need to know if I should bring a couple airplane bottles

There was a $25 ticket with hospitality tent involved/cash bar, so that indicates to me that the $15 ticket won't have alcohol available.

Anybody got any thoughts on how big the crowd might be tonight? Trying to decide how early I need to get there.

Good question and one I was thinking about myself.

The Couch holds approximately 4K people. Would guess we fill it 50-66%? Maybe more? I'm really hoping a lot of folks come out.

I think if you get there from 630-645 you should be more than fine.

Johnstone is 7-0 as a starter for WF, and the only ACC games that WF didn't win that he started (at L'ville and NC State), Johnstone left each game with a lead. Until his last two starts, a vaild argument could be made that Johnstone was WF's most effective pitcher on the season.

The only concern about Johnstone is that his two worst starts of the year, were his last two as he didn't make it out of the 4th against either Pitt or FSU, but the bats rallied as WF came back to win both games. Also, Johnstone has not pitched in a game since May 20.

The SEC averaged over 5K attendance across their conference this year. That's 25% more than what our stadium holds. Pretty remarkable.

The SEC averaged over 5K attendance across their conference this year. That's 25% more than what our stadium holds. Pretty remarkable.

Spent some time in Baton Rouge, and couldn't believe how avid the following of LSU baseball was. Went to two restaurants in BR that piped in the radio broadcasts of mid-week LSU baseball games. Devoted. LSU fills their baseball stadium (Alex Box) for almost every game (10K+).

Good question and one I was thinking about myself.

The Couch holds approximately 4K people. Would guess we fill it 50-66%? Maybe more? I'm really hoping a lot of folks come out.

I think if you get there from 630-645 you should be more than fine.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was thinking, but just wanted to make sure I didn't need to plan on getting there 6-6:15ish.

Maryland is starting their top guy today against WVU. WVU's top guy is out and we're throwing ours tomorrow.

Everything coming up Wake leading up to the start of the weekend. Now we just need get out there and win.

Saw a good point on another board: Maryland's number two (?) guy is a lefty - Blohm. He's the type of big lefty that usually gives wake trouble. I'm cautiously hoping WVU takes the game today because of their pitching depth.

Maryland is starting their top guy today against WVU. WVU's top guy is out and we're throwing ours tomorrow.

Everything coming up Wake leading up to the start of the weekend. Now we just need get out there and win.

Baseball can be funny, we need to get on UMBC early and often tonight.

Saw a good point on another board: Maryland's number two (?) guy is a lefty - Blohm. He's the type of big lefty that usually gives wake trouble. I'm cautiously hoping WVU takes the game today because of their pitching depth.

He's capable of shutting you down or giving up 7 runs in 3 innings sooooooo. We'll see.

If this was single elimination, would you feel the same?

If it is single elimination then you do whatever it takes to win each game so I would likely be more open to Dunshee since we would then be throwing our No. 2 vs. the No. 2 of Maryland/WVU tomorrow night.

I just remember arguing in the Wild Card MLB one game playoff that it may not be the worst idea to throw your not 1 starter

I'm still probably wrong but it's interesting how the game theory changes in group play

Back