• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Offseason Thread

Agreed we're going to need both this year.

So has the official #TeamWolford and #TeamHinton campaign begun?

I just watched highlights of a few of our guys at work this morning and it seems pretty clear to me that Hinton gives us the best chance to win. What he lacks in throwing ability he makes up for in running and pure playmaking ability. When you have a quarterback who can run like that having a slightly less accurate passer is fine because 9 times out of 10 receivers are going to be more open than with Wolford. All of our best games of the season were with Hinton. I really hope he starts this season - I don't want to see a two QB system again. This should be Hinton's offense until we have a better option come in.

Wolford and Hinton have almost identical 40 times. Agree that Hinton is the more likely of the two to break a tackle, but not sure how much you want your QB to try to break tackles. Wolford is the more accurate passer. Both are prone to throw into coverage. The staff will go all out to win this year, whomever gives the Deacs the best chance to win will get the most PT.

Hinton is more likely to avoid a tackle all together.

2015 Hinton > 2015 Wolford

Spring Wolford >>> Spring Hinton

My biggest concern with the 2 QB system is that preparing both QBs to start presumably takes practice reps away from Kearns, and Kearns needs reps if he is going to get himself into the picture for 2017.

Last edited:
He is almost assuredly not going to be in the picture. If he can't beat out Wolford/Hinton by 2017, he will transfer.

He is almost assuredly not going to be in the picture. If he can't beat out Wolford/Hinton by 2017, he will transfer.

I would agree that he's not going to be in the picture for 2016, but I haven't given up hope for 2017. I can't imagine he's watching Wolford and Hinton and thinking "I'll never get past those guys". I'm still very bullish on Kearns.

I would agree that he's not going to be in the picture for 2016, but I haven't given up hope for 2017. I can't imagine he's watching Wolford and Hinton and thinking "I'll never get past those guys". I'm still very bullish on Kearns.

It seemed like Claw was pretty happy with Kearns at the end of Spring. Maybe he feels like he is entering 2016 preseason with 3 guys ready to be called to run the offense - as opposed to last year, when he must have thought he had 1 QB ready.

It seemed like Claw was pretty happy with Kearns at the end of Spring. Maybe he feels like he is entering 2016 preseason with 3 guys ready to be called to run the offense - as opposed to last year, when he must have thought he had 1 QB ready.

I was disappointed that Kearns didn't get more PT in the Spring Game. Also when he did play it was with a mix of 2s and 3s. I assume that's what he gets in practice, but that's just speculation. His goal for this year has to be to earn more reps from the coaching staff and start to earn their trust.

He has shown flashes of his potential on the field both summer 2015 and spring 2016. He also looks like he's added good weight.

I am eager to get to the point where we have to rely on our QBs until they are redshirt sophomores or juniors. Won't that be nice?

Last edited:
Riley Skinner was 3rd string QB when fall practice started the year that Wake won the ACC championship.

Wolford and Hinton have almost identical 40 times. Agree that Hinton is the more likely of the two to break a tackle, but not sure how much you want your QB to try to break tackles. Wolford is the more accurate passer. Both are prone to throw into coverage. The staff will go all out to win this year, whomever gives the Deacs the best chance to win will get the most PT.

40 time is one thing yeah, but Hinton has displayed the ability to get away from tacklers better. Not just breaking tackles, I'm talking agility and lateral quickness not just end zone to end zone.

Have we thrown out the delay handoff?

How many times has Wolford and the running back both been tackled as we try to run the read draw. Never seen any team come close to running this play as badly as we do.

They both got creamed when carrying the ball. They're both a little fragile b/c they aren't big physically. My point was that at least Wolford has the short passing game which if executed can spare him some of the contact. I understand the green shirt limitation placed on Hinton in scrimmages, but he's not a run-every-play QB and would need to throw it accurately as well to successfully run the offense. In a pure passing comparison in our scrimmages, Hinton did not compare well. In my opinion.
Hinton's injury against Florida State didn't happen while he was running. He actually got hit rolling out to throw a pass. Outside of that injury-he could have played the following week against BC- he went injury free. He missed last game of season due to mono. I think he is much more durable than he is given credit for.

Hinton will get himself killed -- like what happened last year -- running around trying to make plays. He just won't last without an effective OL and running game. And since his short passing game is not a strength his effectiveness as a passing QB in our offense is very limited. If he was more durable, a real tank, he'd have more of a chance. But he's not and will be taken out sooner rather than later against stiffer opposition.
Hinton didn't get hurt last year by running around. I got hurt while throwing under pressure.

Hinton's problem is that he is not good at throwing the football.

I good passer don't throw for 10,000 yards in as a 3 year starter. Hinton can make every throw, like most good QBs, when given enough time. If he is guilty of one thing: it's trying to do too much. Wofford got 3X the snaps as Hinton, yet Hinton had more total TDs. Last I checked, it doesn't matter whether he did it with his arms or legs. Each TD worth 6 points. The object is to score more points than the opponent.

Riley Skinner was 3rd string QB when fall practice started the year that Wake won the ACC championship.

Three seasons before that, Zac Taylor was the 3rd string QB. He was Big XII OPOY in 2006.

I good passer don't throw for 10,000 yards in as a 3 year starter. Hinton can make every throw, like most good QBs, when given enough time. If he is guilty of one thing: it's trying to do too much. Wofford got 3X the snaps as Hinton, yet Hinton had more total TDs. Last I checked, it doesn't matter whether he did it with his arms or legs. Each TD worth 6 points. The object is to score more points than the opponent.

You forgot to say he brings his lunch pail and gives 110 per cent.

I agree that many on this board seem to underrate Hinton's passing ability. If you take out his first two college games - both of which he came in to the game in relief - he was statistically nearly equal to (or better than) Wolford in every passing metric.

For some reason, Hinton performs better as a passer in games than scrimmages. No idea why, but I'd rather that than the other way around.

Back