• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

lol bought 6 tickets 15 mins ago to take the daughter/fam, and then they change it.

Great exposure, terrible timing.

Canes have had some issues with their Friday starter.

When the season started, Gage Ziehl was expected to be their Friday starter, but he got hammered in his first 3 Friday starts:

• Feb. 17: 2 IP 5 ER against Penn State
  • Feb. 24: 5 IP 4 ER against Dartmouth
  • March 3: 5 IP 6 ER against Florida
So, for the Cane's first two ACC series, they mover Ziehl to Saturday, and he has pitched well (1 R against both NC State and VT).

In Ziehl's place, Miami has started Karson Ligon over the last two Fridays against NCS and VT:

• March 10: 5.1 IP 4 ER against NCS
  • March 17: 5.2 IP 3 ER against VT
23 innings 22 runs for the "U"'s Friday starter. Now, they face the returning ACC Pitcher of the Year. Guessing Karson Ligon will start Friday night against Rhett Lowder.

Huge for WF to take this first one.

Last edited:
posted this a while ago but worth re-posting. My theory is that the best way to attempt to neutralize Hawke is to throw LHP at him. If there is a high-leverage situation with the top of the order due up, if I'm Miami, I bring in LHP Scinta to pitch. However it seems that will only work 1-2 times this series.

Miami's pitching staff is very heavily right-handed:

In the sweep of VT, Miami started three RHP's with season ERA's of 4.11, 10.45, 5.76, respectively

Best arms out of the bullpen are also righthanded - Chestnutt 3.60 ERA, has started two games, 20IP, 25 K; Walters 5 appearances, 2 saves, 7.1 innings, 0 runs, 16K

Miami has 3 LHP who have thrown a pitch this year - best of the lot is Scinta, 10 appearances, 12.2 innings, 5 runs all earned, 19 K

This is my point. Don't point me to Coach's pressers for injury news because his initial McGraw update (to the public) was simply not true. I'm not saying it turned out to be untrue...I'm saying the public update was absolutely counter to known facts/diagnosis at the time. There was zero chance of him playing that weekend or any near-term weekend.

Again, this approach is all fine, I guess.

I really like the Clawson approach...tight-lipped and keep everyone guessing.
I prefer 100% honesty so I can temper my expectations as a fan. :D

lol bought 6 tickets 15 mins ago to take the daughter/fam, and then they change it.

Great exposure, terrible timing.

I guess I haven't followed a team this close before, but it's been surprising how often game times/days have been getting shuffled around.

I guess I haven't followed a team this close before, but it's been surprising how often game times/days have been getting shuffled around.
The dumb thing on my part was that I saw it listed as 8 on our website, and then checked the Miami website, and it also said 8, but I assumed it had been 8 originally, and was moved to 6.

Sigh.

Some of that is just weather with baseball. It's pretty common early season especially. This is really on the mouse network.

Our promotion on Sunday is giving away “pit vipers.” Wtf is that? I know we’re not giving away snakes.

Our promotion on Sunday is giving away “pit vipers.” Wtf is that? I know we’re not giving away snakes.

try-hards_0000_E-TH-STANDRD-PCA_A_1_EDIT_1_x566.jpg

I'm actually shocked that you of all people isn't aware of pit vipers. You would be on my list just behind brews to know what these are.

I'm actually shocked that you of all people isn't aware of pit vipers. You would be on my list just behind brews to know what these are.
Ha! Why is that!?!! I have to wear prescription sunglasses so maybe that’s why I don’t know what they are.

Back