• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Men’s Soccer 07 and 08 went something like 46-4-3 (only one loss in the regular season in one of the deepest, most talented college conferences in any sport ever) with a national championship and a final four while outscoring their opponents 148-31.

But it would be up there based on current trajectory for sure.

Last edited:
If this team goes to Omaha it’s hard to say it’s not the best wake sports team any sport all time.

Anything can happen once you get to Omaha but making it to the CWS and if we finish the regular season strong it would be the most dominant team I can think of any sport for a season.

The tennis natty team won the indoor title, ACC title, singles national champ and runner up, and the NCAA title. Hard to be more dominant than that.

Our field hockey dominance was a little before my time but that’s probably right there too.

I don’t watch soccer but that was an oversight on my part. I get there is a tennis team but I still think of it as an individual type sport. Same as golf.

Due to an engagement with wife Sat evening I missed the offensive explosion W. It calmed a lot of nerves.

Wondering board opinion on some things.

What is pitching like for most of the for sure Omaha contenders? I know who gets there will naturally have a strong staff. But, overall, will they be better than some we've faced?

I don't mind facing any ACC team in the ACCT except Duke, Clemson, and Miami. All had very close losses and will be up for ruining our season. I think we can beat UVa, especially if we win today. If so, we'll go 2-1 @ Pitt whereas UVa went 1-2 with them at home.

Due to an engagement with wife Sat evening I missed the offensive explosion W. It calmed a lot of nerves.

Wondering board opinion on some things.

What is pitching like for most of the for sure Omaha contenders? I know who gets there will naturally have a strong staff. But, overall, will they be better than some we've faced?

I don't mind facing any ACC team in the ACCT except Duke, Clemson, and Miami. All had very close losses and will be up for ruining our season. I think we can beat UVa, especially if we win today. If so, we'll go 2-1 @ Pitt whereas UVa went 1-2 with them at home.

Us going 2-1 and UVA going 1-2 has no impact on us against them…nor does it mean we are better than they are.

every team in Omaha will have better pitching than we’ve seen so far should we get there. And better hitting also…

Scoring margin in individual series doesn’t mean much. Just because we played some close games against teams doesn’t mean a tournament game would also be close

Last edited:
I don’t watch soccer but that was an oversight on my part. I get there is a tennis team but I still think of it as an individual type sport. Same as golf.
I think (am biased) that those might have been the two best college soccer teams of all time, so it’s a testament to how the Diamond Deacs have been balling thus far that it’s a legit argument.

I love how good we are and am hopeful for a trip to Omaha for the first time basically ever. And also don’t think our baseball team is even our most dominant program at present.

I love how good we are and am hopeful for a trip to Omaha for the first time basically ever. And also don’t think our baseball team is even our most dominant program at present.
Right this moment which team is more dominant than them? Women’s golf?

Us going 2-1 and UVA going 1-2 has no impact on us against them…nor does it mean we are better than they are.

every team in Omaha will have better pitching than we’ve seen so far should we get there. And better hitting also…

Scoring margin in individual series doesn’t mean much. Just because we played some close games against teams doesn’t mean a tournament game would also be close
I'd say in general teams that lose to an opponent especially in close games often beat them in rematches. Last year, I dreaded drawing State in the tourney right after sweeping them in Raleigh for that exact reason. I don't think I was alone.

So we have no hope in Omaha?

I do think UVa will have a slightly better chance of making it even if we do beat them for the ACC title. They have been recently and we haven't. I'm just hoping we really play well in the Regional and SR to get to Omaha. It will help if all games are in WS.

You got it
That’s fair. ACC Championship collapse wasn’t great but they could easily win the national title. I think the difference between baseball and W. golf is that we are #2 in both but in baseball we are with a group of at least 4 other teams in that top tier. With W. golf we are basically in a top tier with only one other team.

Just noticed and was surprised BC beat UNC twice in their baseball series at UNC. (I realize one of those games was played in Raleigh.... don't know why...)

I'd say in general teams that lose to an opponent especially in close games often beat them in rematches. Last year, I dreaded drawing State in the tourney right after sweeping them in Raleigh for that exact reason. I don't think I was alone.

So we have no hope in Omaha?

I do think UVa will have a slightly better chance of making it even if we do beat them for the ACC title. They have been recently and we haven't. I'm just hoping we really play well in the Regional and SR to get to Omaha. It will help if all games are in WS.

Only a fool's hope

Wake has the best pitching in the country ERA wise so far this year and seems to be pretty deep overall. I’m sure there are better overall staffs than we have but pretty likely we have the best starting three out there up to this point.

If wake makes it to Omaha we’ve got as good a shot as anybody to win the title

You would think that since I’m my ESPN account I list my favorites to follow, that when I open the ESPN+ app on my TV it would offer my favorite teams first. Instead of the absurd scrolling and/or searching.

The UI is trash
Yes - I hate this.

Wake has the best pitching in the country ERA wise so far this year and seems to be pretty deep overall. I’m sure there are better overall staffs than we have but pretty likely we have the best starting three out there up to this point.

If wake makes it to Omaha we’ve got as good a shot as anybody to win the title

I agree. My point is any pitching we face will be the best we’ve seen so far

Back