• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Seems like the timing points to Alabama’s baseball coach being involved in fixing games for gambling purposes.

I’m not at all interested in defending Nate Oats or Alabama basketball, but if the game-fixing is true this is a much more obvious firing.

To Pilchard's point how dumb do you have to be to get caught trying to fix college baseball games? I mean the limits are low and the only real bets are ML where Alabama was already a big underdog.

To Pilchard's point how dumb do you have to be to get caught trying to fix college baseball games? I mean the limits are low and the only real bets are ML where Alabama was already a big underdog.
Yeah, the only part I’m confused by is why there was a need to fix games in favor of LSU, who would have won that game anyway.

Presumably there was a run line on the game? Anyone know what it was?

#22 Alabama scored 4 in the top of the 9th against #1 LSU to lose by 2. So if there is suspicious activity that warrants a firing, it must have been crazy obvious on some other level. Like, bragging to an official while being recorded obvious.

I think it’s safe to assume there was evidence of him doing this in prior games this season, before the LSU game where action was taken.

Fixing only that LSU game makes very little sense

man - it's seems like it'd be damn near impossible to fix a game without getting caught these days

they caught the lions players just placing bets on other sports inside a team facility

Looks like the planned/announced starter for Alabama (who was listed on graphics by the team leading up to the game) got scratched shortly before the first pitch (within an hour of the game starting). Now what role, if any, this played in the gambling issue remains to be seen but it's at least one oddity - could just be an injury though.

I looked at the Alabama box score from the game on Friday night. He pinch hit for the 7 and 8 hitters. Nothing crazy there. The pitchers used is a little odd. He didn't start a regular starter and the 3 relievers were all bottom of the pen guys. Maybe he was saving arms for Saturday and Sunday?

Looks like the planned/announced starter for Alabama (who was listed on graphics by the team leading up to the game) got scratched shortly before the first pitch (within an hour of the game starting). Now what role, if any, this played in the gambling issue remains to be seen but it's at least one oddity - could just be an injury though.
That makes sense for using a bullpen guy to start.

Looks like a bettor got advanced knowledge of the scratched pitcher directly from the coach.

Now it could be that a guy just happened to be at a Reds game on the phone with his buddy who just happened to be the Alabama baseball coach who happened to say, "My ace is out today" so the guy rushed to place a bet.

But the Reds were away this past weekend.

Alabama must think Bohannon was in on it to move this quickly.

Figures Ohio would be the manager’s downfall. They know about managers associating with gamblers in Ohio

I have a friend that asked me why a team wouldn’t just throw a scrub against Lowder and try to win the other two games. Sounds like that is what the Alabama coach did but he used the info to win money by betting.

Back