• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Silly, Hell. If the roles were reversed I bet my house that UNC in particular would be televised in prime time. This has been going on for years and, as I expected, the only comments to my original post were receptive to the same old status quo. Wake needs to stand up for its accomplishments and stop taking a back seat when it is not deserved.

Networks care about one thing. What games will get the most eyeballs. That’s it. They don’t care about anything else. The way you do that is broadcast games that will draw the most neutrals. Wake vs the worst team in the tournament (by RPI) doesn’t do that.

Correct, it’s exactly like that and completely understandable.

Our later games in the regional will almost certainly make ACCN, and being mad that this one isn’t is silly.
It will be interesting to see how the networks value the later games. If 6-7 ACC teams win Game 1 this weekend, they will all play at 6pm/7pm on Saturday (and again on Sunday at that time if they keep winning). It may depend on which games end up on ESPN2/ESPNU/SECN instead. If a Clemson/Tennessee, Miami/Texas, or a UVA/Oklahoma game is sitting out there Saturday evening, that will almost certainly get broadcast preference over a Wake vs. Maryland or Northeastern game (and a UNC vs. Indiana State game, for that matter). Part of it depends on the opponent as well.

It will be interesting to see how the networks value the later games. If 6-7 ACC teams win Game 1 this weekend, they will all play at 6pm/7pm on Saturday (and again on Sunday at that time if they keep winning). It may depend on which games end up on ESPN2/ESPNU/SECN instead. If a Clemson/Tennessee, Miami/Texas, or a UVA/Oklahoma game is sitting out there Saturday evening, that will almost certainly get broadcast preference over a Wake vs. Maryland or Northeastern game (and a UNC vs. Indiana State game, for that matter). Part of it depends on the opponent as well.
If Clemson and Tennessee both win, I fully expect (and have zero problems with) it to be the game with the top billing in the 6/7pm timeslot. It's clearly the one I would watch if my team wasn't playing.

Silly, Hell. If the roles were reversed I bet my house that UNC in particular would be televised in prime time. This has been going on for years and, as I expected, the only comments to my original post were receptive to the same old status quo. Wake needs to stand up for its accomplishments and stop taking a back seat when it is not deserved.
Good Lord some of you just really enjoy having a victim complex.

What’s more entertaining in basketball, watching the #1 seed destroy a 16 seed or watching a #7 vs #10 game?

Random question. I’ve never sat in the non-seatback seats at the Couch. I did, however, get GA so my group could all sit together since we’ll be there for different games and were ordering separately. Can I bring in a cushion with a seatback? If so, can it be one of the metal bar ones?

Random question. I’ve never sat in the non-seatback seats at the Couch. I did, however, get GA so my group could all sit together since we’ll be there for different games and were ordering separately. Can I bring in a cushion with a seatback? If so, can it be one of the metal bar ones?

Metal and hard back ones seem to be a no-go.

thanks Conor for the update. Hopefully a george mason is just what the Dr ordered to get keener back in a groove.
Walt said something really interesting today about Keener tipping his pitches against ND with runners on. Sounded like something that'll be a quick fix. Don't know if that was also his issue against VT.

Walt said something really interesting today about Keener tipping his pitches against ND with runners on. Sounded like something that'll be a quick fix. Don't know if that was also his issue against VT.
Needs to get over his issues with hitting batters.

Last edited:
Isn’t this similar to a 7-10 game getting top billing over a 1-16 game? I get it.
Doubt that's the way it has worked in basketball when a Duke or UNC is a 1 playing a 16, i.e. shuffling them over to Tru TV while the 7-10 is on a major channel or network, but maybe I'm wrong.

Needs to get over his issues with hitting batters.
God, I love this.

Wake's baseball coach, paraphrased: We feel really good about how Keener threw the ball, just lost a couple of pitches inside, was tipping his pitches. Saw some things on film that are going to be easy to clean up. We're confident enough in him to keep two future first-rounders saved for the weekend.

ChrisL: Keener needs to get over his issues with hitting batters.

God, I love this.

Wake's baseball coach, paraphrased: We feel really good about how Keener threw the ball, just lost a couple of pitches inside, was tipping his pitches. Saw some things on film that are going to be easy to clean up. We're confident enough in him to keep two future first-rounders saved for the weekend.

Dude, get over yourself. He also hit two batters in his second and last inning last regular season start which really hurt him and was a major factor in the 4 run 2nd inning. I am not dissing the guy just saying that it has led to runs and an early hook his last two starts.

Last edited:
God, I love this.

We really need Keener fully confident because we need all 4 aces at their peak to have chance in Omaha To go with our bullpen. So hope they are truly easy fixes and he can avoid stretches of wildness he has had last couple of starts. And Sully can get some spot innings to get his confidence back to where it was.

It’s postseason baseball. Anything can happen and the best team rarely wins.
Exactly what seemed to happen. Looks to me like only 2 of the Top 10 won their conference title. One team with a 19-40 record won the AAC.

It’s called ratings. They try to get most eyeballs on the screen for any given broadcast. Same basic way they decide ESPN, 2, ABC or ACCN for football games.

God, I love this.

I’m on record. I don’t like Keener starting.
He’s been his best at Wake out of the pen.

I will now be prepared to be roundly shot down since every top 25 team would take him as their number 2 I’m told.

And yes. I am being wildly message board petty

Doubt that's the way it has worked in basketball when a Duke or UNC is a 1 playing a 16, i.e. shuffling them over to Tru TV while the 7-10 is on a major channel or network, but maybe I'm wrong.
You said your own answer—Duke & UNC. Both national name basketball teams with multiple national titles. Entire country will watch them instead of Utah St vs Mizzou in the 10-7.

The way it works now, there's not much difference between what's on whichever channel because each location has its own channel. Back in the day, games were regional so NC would get Duke or UNC playing at 16 and most of the country would get the 7-10 game.

Back