• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

WF Bullpen >>>> GM Bullpen

Since keener is starting...thus weakening our bullpen. :)
I mean that’s a fair take. But I’d still take Roland, Massey, or Minacci over anyone in their bullpen. And if we can’t beat George Mason with those 4 pitchers it just isn’t meant to be I suppose.

Personally I would have gone with Reed on a short leash. Let keener come in if needed. If Reed gets you through a decent amount now you have keener as bullpen option for G 2 and 3.
I'm hopeful whatever they saw with Keener they can fix and hope it is mechanical and not starter psychological

Personally I would have gone with Reed on a short leash. Let keener come in if needed. If Reed gets you through a decent amount now you have keener as bullpen option for G 2 and 3.
I'm hopeful whatever they saw with Keener they can fix and hope it is mechanical and not starter psychological
I’m fine with starting Keener, but this would have worked for me too.

I mean if Keener’s pitch count doesn’t end up super high on Friday, I’d imagine we could get an inning or two out of him on Monday if we are up against the wall.

Hopefully we go 3-0 and it doesn’t come to that.

I mean if Keener’s pitch count doesn’t end up super high on Friday, I’d imagine we could get an inning or two out of him on Monday if we are up against the wall.

Hopefully we go 3-0 and it doesn’t come to that.
Actually, Walter said its possible that Sullivan could pitch one inning in relief on Friday, and then start on Monday if needed. Sounds like they feel good about where he is right now. If WF is fortunate enough to advance to the Super-Regionals, sounds like Sullivan could be in the mix for a start if there's a game 3.

I really hope we're the only ones over thinking this and we just do what has worked all season to make us the #1 team in the country. Shaking things up is just going to make everyone nervous.

Actually, Walter said its possible that Sullivan could pitch one inning in relief on Friday, and then start on Monday if needed.
Did he really say this? I would hope the plan is a more important role for Sullivan than mop up duty against George Mason and then a potential Game 4/5 if needed.

Yes, Walter said Sullivan could start on Monday if needed.

Yes, Walter said Sullivan could start on Monday if needed.
Yeah that part is fine, I moreso meant that the plan is to use him Friday and not Saturday/Sunday?

Seems silly to use one of our best pitchers all year in the easiest game and then save him for a game that may not even happen.

WF wouldn't use Sullivan for mop up duty on Friday. If the game is tight, they might use for an inning. If the game is in hand, they will save him.

WF wouldn't use Sullivan for mop up duty on Friday. If the game is tight, they might use for an inning. If the game is in hand, they will save him.
Fair enough.

Walter can say all he wants, but I assume that if either Lowder or Hartle exit prior to the 7th inning on Saturday/Sunday then Sullivan would be in that game (assuming Sullivan doesn’t pitch Friday).

The exception being if we end up in a loser’s bracket and know we will need to play 5 and win 4 games to advance. Then I’m sure Sullivan will get saved for a start.

Fair enough.

Walter can say all he wants, but I assume that if either Lowder or Hartle exit prior to the 7th inning on Saturday/Sunday then Sullivan would be in that game (assuming Sullivan doesn’t pitch Friday).

The exception being if we end up in a loser’s bracket and know we will need to play 5 and win 4 games to advance. Then I’m sure Sullivan will get saved for a start.
It depends on who pitches Friday, but I'm pretty sure that if everyone is available in a late inning close game, Walter is going with Minacci, Massey and Roland, not Sullivan.

It depends on who pitches Friday, but I'm pretty sure that if everyone is available in a late inning close game, Walter is going with Minacci, Massey and Roland, not Sullivan.
If it isn’t an absolute blowout, one of those three bullpen arms will pitch Friday. And none of those three are going to pitch 3 days in a row.

If either Lowder or Hartle get bounced from their start early (5th inning or worse), then that’s 4+ innings to find. Given that we may only have 2 of the guys you listed to work with on Sat/Sun, I think Sullivan would pitch in that scenario. I’d much rather that than Walter resign to losing the game and just saving Sullivan, especially in game 2 where losing makes us play an extra game to win the regional.

Back