• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

i mean there is a reason there is a limited number at the MLB level. Theses pitches are coming 90+ and moving all over the place. it's amazing they get as many righ as they do
That is exactly right and if folks have never been behind the plate trying to call that shit consistent, that have no clue. Throw in moving bats, breaking balls at 85+ mph, it is extremely hard. I didn’t do it at this level but at the senior summer level and h.s. level and that was hard enough.

That is exactly right and if folks have never been behind the plate trying to call that shit consistent, that have no clue. Throw in moving bats, breaking balls at 85+ mph, it is extremely hard. I didn’t do it at this level but at the senior summer level and h.s. level and that was hard enough.

It’s their job. If you can see a certain pitch in the first inning and call it a strike, you can see that same pitch in the seventh and call it the same strike. I don’t think that’s asking too much.

I think the excuses about them not being in the pros fall short. They are pros. And they’re consistently inconsistent.

3rd strike was a ball, but it close enough that when you're down to the last strike of the game you're taking a risk by leaving that call in in the ump's hands.
Tide players/coaches will likely use the "we good robbed" scenario as motivation for tomorrow (their fans certainly will), but it's not like they had the tying run on 2nd or 3rd, or that the last batter or the previous two had demonstrated any clue as to how to get good contact against Sullivan. Glad we got the call, but I still like our odds had that been called a ball.

It’s their job. If you can see a certain pitch in the first inning and call it a strike, you can see that same pitch in the seventh and call it the same strike. I don’t think that’s asking too much.

I think the excuses about them not being in the pros fall short. They are pros. And they’re consistently inconsistent.

Guys who live out of their mini-vans and play on the Korn-Ferry Tour are professional golfers. They're not playing on CBS on Sunday afternoons for a very good reason. But, both are professionals.

I'm not sure why this concept is difficult unless you just want to argue. There are different levels in almost every profession.

Great win. Made better given that ump was calling strikes low and outside (vs righties) with a guy throwing brutal benders. There is pretty much no offense for that and we still managed to take the W while only using two arms. Coming off a few blowouts, I think this is a great game to refocus and come out BIG tomorrow and Rake these guys back to Tuscaloosa.

Guys who live out of their mini-vans and play on the Korn-Ferry Tour are professional golfers. They're not playing on CBS on Sunday afternoons for a very good reason. But, both are professionals.

I'm not sure why this concept is difficult unless you just want to argue. There are different levels in almost every profession.

But the players are amateurs. The umps are the pros on the field.

But the players are amateurs. The umps are the pros on the field.

Hello!!?!?! Is this on?!?! I'm not debating anything or making subjective arguments. I'm stating a simple fact. There are different levels of professionals. If you don't think the guy behind the plate today would give his right nut to have been calling a game at Wrigley Field instead of a game in Winston-Salem, I'm out of what to say.

Edited to add: with NIL, I'm not sure the "amateur" argument has more mileage either. Sam Hartman will likely be making more to play for ND than the guy officiating his games.

Goooood times! I lost some of my voice. Hope to save a little for tomorrow. Good tailgating, fun to see Lowder pitch his last game at the Couch, and get a huge win. Sullivan with ice water in his veins was fun to watch. Tommy Hawke gave us so damn much momentum. Can't say enough about our crowd...We were amped up for an early game.

That was fun, exciting, nerve wracking.

Reading through the last few pages…no, not very breezy in the park but there were occasional breezes punctuating the calm.

It was hot. And sunny. Lots of folks gonna be nursing sunburns.

Overall the atmosphere and fans were great. Not sure how it translated onto TV.

That was not an easy win. Going to have to play really well from here on out to advance, for sure.

Typical observation…A lot of you guys clearly outkicked your coverage.

Sorensen has been arrested for drunken driving seven times and twice served time in prison; most recently being released in December 2009.

I wasn’t a fan of his hire.

Since then, I have heard him say that Ron Wellman saved his life. Which I’m good with.

That was fun, exciting, nerve wracking.

Reading through the last few pages…no, not very breezy in the park but there were occasional breezes punctuating the calm.

It was hot. And sunny. Lots of folks gonna be nursing sunburns.

Overall the atmosphere and fans were great. Not sure how it translated onto TV.

That was not an easy win. Going to have to play really well from here on out to advance, for sure.

Typical observation…A lot of you guys clearly outkicked your coverage.
Agreed. Hartle has a very tall task tomorrow. Bama looks like the best team we've played this year, but this could also be a #smallsamplesizedeac take.

Since then, I have heard him say that Ron Wellman saved his life. Which I’m good with.
His sister and a few other people helped to save his life. Wellman may have helped a little.

…Eventually, the kids nudged their dad toward Winston-Salem, North Carolina, where his Ph.D. sister was high on the food chain at Wake Forest University.

He was still drinking, even if he often claimed he wasn’t. Just for the human contact, he’d sometimes step outside his rented condo to the mail drop, where postman Rick Gfeller recognized a soul headed for the dead-letter office.

“I’d see him periodically. Sometimes, he had a backpack,” says Gfeller, 66. “I knew the only place he could be walking from was the liquor store, and I’d say, ‘You got a load there. ... Want me to help you dump it?’”

Gfeller invited him to the massive Christmas pageant at his church in 2011. Sorensen said he might show, but he didn’t mean it. Then he ignored invitations to Calvary Baptist for Easter, Independence Day and the following Christmas, when he actually accepted tickets before his good intentions were washed away by a dedicated bout of drinking…

Last edited:
Hello!!?!?! Is this on?!?! I'm not debating anything or making subjective arguments. I'm stating a simple fact. There are different levels of professionals. If you don't think the guy behind the plate today would give his right nut to have been calling a game at Wrigley Field instead of a game in Winston-Salem, I'm out of what to say.

Edited to add: with NIL, I'm not sure the "amateur" argument has more mileage either. Sam Hartman will likely be making more to play for ND than the guy officiating his games.

Strangely defensive of what I think is a basic point. Pro umps, which is what these are, should be essentially consistent. Inconsistent strike zones are a common complaint among fans and shouldn’t be.

Agreed. Hartle has a very tall task tomorrow. Bama looks like the best team we've played this year, but this could also be a #smallsamplesizedeac take.
Eh. They seem about the same level as a team like Clemson. Took 2 1-run games to get that sweep.

Rhett threw a couple of meatballs today and they capitalized. It happens.

Back