• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Just to reset as far as the calendar goes:

Win tonight - play Wednesday at 7, then Thursday for all the marbles if we lose Wed.
Lose tonight - play tomorrow at 7, if we win, Wed. at 7, if we win, Thursday at 7.

Finals start Saturday at 7.

Obviously tonight is extremely critical. It's the difference in having to go 1-1 on Wed/Thurs vs. a depleted pitching staff from whoever makes it out of the loser's bracket, or having to win three straight games, including two against LSU, and possibly against Skenes on Thursday if we make it there.

Let's get it done.

We're going to need our A game tonight as this LSU team is probably the second best team in the tournament. I know Skenes gets all the attention, but the rest of their staff put up very solid numbers this season. Of course, I'm not sure they've had the pleasure of facing a lineup like ours, and we have a clear advantage on the mound. Hartle didn't have his best stuff against Alabama but kept everything down in the zone and allowed us to pull away. If he's got his stuff going, we're going to have a good time.

We're going to need our A game tonight as this LSU team is probably the second best team in the tournament. I know Skenes gets all the attention, but the rest of their staff put up very solid numbers this season. Of course, I'm not sure they've had the pleasure of facing a lineup like ours, and we have a clear advantage on the mound. Hartle didn't have his best stuff against Alabama but kept everything down in the zone and allowed us to pull away. If he's got his stuff going, we're going to have a good time.

their non-skenes starters had a 5.23 era across all games. lsu fans seem to believe that they will follow floyd with their 3rd starter (using that term loosely) thatcher hurd, who had a 6.49 era. floyd also has a reputation for high pitch counts and giving up the longball because he relies on the FB so much. beyond skenes, their pitching stinks and our offense needs to punish them the same way other teams have.

i'm a bit more worried about hartle who has had some struggles of late (his last four starts have been the worst stretch of the season), hopefully he's not hitting the wall with the number of innings he's pitched. very confident in the bullpen of course, but LSU has the best lineup in the country.

but imo today's game rides primarily on the offense's ability to have good ABs and get into their bullpen quickly and generally have a better outing offensively than we did against stanford's first two pitchers.

Last edited:
Would seem we are virtually certain to have a better offensive outing today. Hoping for a good showing from Hartle. Let’s get it done Deacs!

Back