• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Pitch is probably high and out of the strike zone, but it’s hard to tell because of how upright he’s standing. Regardless, crowding the plate like that is just goofy.

Too bad he’ll have to crowd the plate in this loser’s bracket game
The reason it was annoying was the combination of extreme crowding the plate (barely in the batter's box) and making a half-assed attempt to avoid the pitch.

to my earlier point, i've been half watching this game and i've already seen the home plate ump make two or three more egregiously bad ball/strike calls than i saw in our game.

Pretty much the same thing that happened to us in the Supers against Florida a few years ago - we had the momentum in the first game and then after a rain delay ending up losing a close game and then losing the next game... At least that is my recollection...
We won game 2.

I was kind of hoping Tennessee would win this game. If we face Stanford again, they’ve already seen quite a few of our horses. Always better to have pitchers facing someone for the first time.

Its interesting that the home plate ump is a SEC ump. Did we ever get an answer on if the umps are there individually or as a team? Seems like they could easily avoid having the same conference reps calling their teams. I'm curious about how the umps are graded overall, in college. Since there are so many games nationwide. Does each conference select/recommend a team or 2 for the NCAA's, or does the NCAA pick based on a set of grades throughout the year.

Ideal situation is win tonight, stanford beats tenn and lsu. Play Stanford Wed. Maybe we'd see dixon again but that'd be okay.

I'm of the opinion they just keep starting Matthews the rest of the tourney until proven otherwise.

Will LSU pitch Paul Skenes on one day's rest?
Zero chance Skenes appears today.

Very small chance you see Skenes for an inning tomorrow if LSU loses today. (Basically, the one run lead in the 9th type scenario).

Still pretty small chance you see Skenes on Wednesday. If LSU is playing to move on, no chance. If LSU is playing to save their season and it's a close game late, then there's a chance.

100% chance you see Skenes on Thursday, if LSU makes it to a Thursday game.

Ideal situation as noted above is we win tonight, Stanford wins tomorrow, then we beat Stanford on Wednesday, then I fly to Omaha on Saturday.

I was kind of hoping Tennessee would win this game. If we face Stanford again, they’ve already seen quite a few of our horses. Always better to have pitchers facing someone for the first time.
Same thing with both teams.

Matthews must have blown his wad in that 156 pitch marathon earlier.

everything about this Quinn Matthews dude reminds me of Jaime Moyer. Right on down to the stirrup socks

Back