• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest ends up 37th in the final coaches poll.

I'll gladly take 37, especially considering our bad streak during the second half of the season.
We should have won 2 more games, which could have gotten us to top 25, or close to it.
Surprised at 37, but I'll take it.

Finishing Top 50 in Sagarin is an even bigger deal. We are in good company.

45 Nebraska
46 Arkansas
47 Mississippi State
48 Wake Forest
49 TCU
50 Memphis
51 Notre Dame

Guys, we're not "ranked" 37th just b/c 1 coach stuck us in his top 25. if you had the coaches vote on teams from 1-40 instead of 1-25, we might be on a good number of ballots but my guess is 7-6 ain't gonna' do it.
Let's put it this way: if the WFU Athletics dept.. puts out a press release that we finished ranked #37 in the country I'd be embarrassed (but not surprised).

Guys, we're not "ranked" 37th just b/c 1 coach stuck us in his top 25. if you had the coaches vote on teams from 1-40 instead of 1-25, we might be on a good number of ballots but my guess is 7-6 ain't gonna' do it.
Let's put it this way: if the WFU Athletics dept.. puts out a press release that we finished ranked #37 in the country I'd be embarrassed (but not surprised).

How many teams finished better than 7 and 6?

Finishing Top 50 in Sagarin is an even bigger deal. We are in good company.

45 Nebraska
46 Arkansas
47 Mississippi State
48 Wake Forest
49 TCU
50 Memphis
51 Notre Dame

Regardless of records, to finish between Nebraska and Notre Dame sounds pretty darn good.

Finishing 48th in the Sagarin poll was surprising. Wake was 62nd prior to the bowl games. Several other ACC teams moved up as well. A 9-3 record in bowl games made a difference. FWIW, the ACC finished as the strongest conference in the nation. SEC was second and the BIG 12 was third.

What if we had beaten Louisville, BC, Army, Clemson, FSU, and State. Where would we have fallen?

You think you're pretty funny don't you? The two games I referenced were ones we clearly should have won - the others weren't expected to be won

Seems like we're getting a lot of extra credit for beating a ranked team, even though that ranked team was overrated.

And had an interim coach. ACC love beat out the fact the AAC got exposed.

They were ranked like 18th in S&P+ before the bowl game. Allowing 34 points to the 115th ranked offense as the 9th ranked defense usually doesn't help you out though.

Every team we lost to won their bowl game (national championship game), except for Louisville.

Wow. Hilarious stats.

Quote Originally Posted by deac85 View Post

I wonder what our ranking would have been at 9-5, with wins over Army and BC too? Would we had made top 25?
What if we had beaten Louisville, BC, Army, Clemson, FSU, and State. Where would we have fallen?

CFP

Lose to Va Tech in ACCCG, play Temple in the Military Bowl.

Back