• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Announces Future Opponents (ECU series added)

No, not LOWF just intelligent scheduling to maximize wins when we're down. Anyone with a brain knows we are a weak team at this time. A big SEC state school is not who we should be playing. A weaker P5 team -- like we're playing Indiana -- is who we should be scheduling. I have no interest in appeasing Wake fans who want big time teams to come to BB&T when we can't really compete. SC is like a VTech or Clemson. Not who we should be adding.

The idea is that we're going to better in a few years. We're not scheduling USC for this year or next year. And if we still suck in a few years, then so be it.

I am somewhat ambivalent, but Bowl games do mean something like 15 extra practices (almost like having an extra spring practice) and its a reward for the players to get away.

Good point. Best to avoid VTech and Clemson too. Is the Sun Belt taking applications?

What you LOWF cowards don't understand is that 6-6 (3-5) and a pre-Christmas bowl game against an AAC or MAC team don't mean shit. In no way does that move they needle or provide any sort of publicity or recruiting momentum.

Now beating an SEC program like South Carolina? That moves the needle. Especially in local recruiting. Stop being such a pussy.

Ask a player from the 6-6 2011 team if it was worth it going to Nashville. Even if we played Mizzou in Shreveport, instead of the 'holes, it would have been worth it. The fact that the staff squandered the extra practices for the young guys, as well as momentum on the recruiting trail, is less likely now with Claw in charge.

I am somewhat ambivalent, but Bowl games do mean something like 15 extra practices (almost like having an extra spring practice) and its a reward for the players to get away.

Ask a player from the 6-6 2011 team if it was worth it going to Nashville. Even if we played Mizzou in Shreveport, instead of the 'holes, it would have been worth it. The fact that the staff squandered the extra practices for the young guys, as well as momentum on the recruiting trail, is less likely now with Claw in charge.

Those 15 extra practices for a bowl game are useful for one year, but it is having them year after year that really helps build a team. All the redshirts get those extra reps, along with the guys who are actually playing. With continuity in the coaching staff, that may mean 15, 30, 45 extra practices before a RS Jr sees a lot of game action. That is a lot of extra work time. Time to get better, learn what the coaches want, make the plays more automatic reflex than thought.

Bring on those crappy bowls. And I'll go to them. Like I have to every Wake bowl except two.

Good point. Best to avoid VTech and Clemson too. Is the Sun Belt taking applications?

What you LOWF cowards don't understand is that 6-6 (3-5) and a pre-Christmas bowl game against an AAC or MAC team don't mean shit. In no way does that move they needle or provide any sort of publicity or recruiting momentum.

Now beating an SEC program like South Carolina? That moves the needle. Especially in local recruiting. Stop being such a pussy.

No dude. Any bowl game means a lot when you're starting from rock bottom. Duke is magnitudes better than we are and they don't go out looking for SEC powers to play. Taking stock of our current status as a bottom feeder is not LOWF, it's survival and living to fight another day. Being able to tell recruits you had a winning season is better than a losing record littered with SEC teams. Stop being a moron and look to build up the program; not reinforce the weak sister stereotype.

Duke played a home and home with Bama less than five years ago; starting in 2017, they play a home and home with Baylor (the Bears finished last year in the top 5; and have been a top 15 team each of the last 5 years). BC, another similarly situated school, just inked a series with Ohio State. Playing one marquee OOC game makes sense.

FWIW, WF is playing S. Carolina; it's not WF is scheduling Bama or LSU. Pretty sure WF leads S. Carolina in BCS bowl invites.

S. Carolina has been a solid program in recent years, but WF recruits SC hard; fans of both teams can easily attend the away games, and it creates a little buzz. Just don't understand how anyone would think it would be better to schedule another irrelevant game with Vandy.

Last edited:
Littered with SEC teams? How about one.

Isn't one of the goals to create local fan interest so that recruits don't have to watch home highlights from half empty stadiums?

Indiana isn't going to fix that. Tulane isnt going to change that. Rice (although I'd selfishly be cool with a H&H so I could attend a game in TX) is going to improve interest.

Your goal is for Wake to become a 6-6/7-5 team. My goal is for Wake to contend for ACC championships and BCS games. You want to be Northwestern. I want to be TCU.

I wonder which trajectory Coach Clawson prefers.

Fine with South Carolina.

Just no more Army, Navy, or Big South. Make it stop.

I think Wake vs. SC would be a great series. I see Wake as a program on the rise and SC on the decline which will add up to be some close games.

I'm in..........

Deac vs Cocks
Deacs are rising.....Cocks are drooping

Isn't one of the goals to create local fan interest so that recruits don't have to watch home highlights from half empty stadiums?

Indiana isn't going to fix that. Tulane isnt going to change that. Rice (although I'd selfishly be cool with a H&H so I could attend a game in TX) is going to improve interest.

Your goal is for Wake to become a 6-6/7-5 team. My goal is for Wake to contend for ACC championships and BCS games. You want to be Northwestern. I want to be TCU.

Well said.

Each and every last doggone one of you should come to Houston to see your Demon Deacons take on the Rice Owls. Once you're here you should stay awhile and check out our fine city. You'll be glad you did. Houston's great in the late summer/early fall.

There are goals and then there are steps on the way to goals. Getting to 6/6, 7/5 is a step on the way to contending. Football teams rarely rise sharply by any means. Usually it is a process of getting a few good players, then win a few more games, then get a few more players...

From where Wake is currently, 6/6 and a minor bowl would be a good next step. A little more TV exposure (even if on a Tuesday on ESPN2), some more practices, get a few more 3 and 4 star recruits instead of 2 stars. Continue to build toward championship.

Damn Brasky. . .that's some good shit right there.

Each and every last doggone one of you should come to Houston to see your Demon Deacons take on the Rice Owls. Once you're here you should stay awhile and check out our fine city. You'll be glad you did. Houston's great in the late summer/early fall.

Houston in late August early Sept sounds a bit balmy for my taste.

Remember we played tough teams before. In the last 10 years we were 1-1 vs Baylor and Stanford, 2-0 vs Ole Miss and 0-2 vs Nebraska. Only the road games at Lincoln and Palo Alto were non competitive. Claw is getting us back there.

We have played South Carolina a lot in the past: 52 times in ~75 years. But nothing since 1987.

I say bring back the series.

Having spent some time in Houston, I know the two seasons are New Years and Summer. Hopefully the Texans will be playing a home game on Sunday after the Rice game. The baked potato stuffed with BBQ beef served at Reliant Stadium, is a meal in itself.

We have played South Carolina a lot in the past: 52 times in ~75 years. But nothing since 1987.

They were charter members of the ACC. I think it was '69 when they went independent.

Playing South Carolina was a lot easier and more frequent when both teams were in the same conference - Southern or ACC. Interesting that Wake and South Carolina played in the first ever Gator (now Taxslayer) Bowl.

My late father was at that game in 1987. The cock fans descended on Groves like a cloud of locusts, he said. They were raising hell the whole time. Dad had to leave at halftime, and they slaughtered us on the field as well. A good 7-4 team with Mike Elkins as QB. After that, Wake said "never again" will we play a series with SC. And it was ended like that.

Back