• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Preseason Thread

Thanks 94. I don't think anybody delays the handoff as much as we do.

Delayed handoff is part of read game that is common in college football. Reading D to make sure that there is not an unblocked player.

Of course, the last few seasons it seems that there are multiple unblocked players, who get get shots at the RB 3 yds behind the LOS.

I am optimistically hoping for 7 wins. We have lost games the last two years in the 4th qtr when we ran out of gas and made mistakes. The syracuse game comes to mind. I am hoping we start to win a chunk of those. The duke game to me is key. It's a house money game. We are expected to lose and can still be bowl bound w a loss so would really hope we come out loose and fast against a gimpy qb or the backup qb

There’s news in this Dan Collins article here that Essang Bassey has worked his way into a committee situation (at a minimum) at the starting cornerback position. He obviously got opportunities in practice because of injuries to Austin and Henderson, but its still very, very impressive that he walked onto campus in July and was able to work his way into this much playing time.

The Collins article also reports that Dom Maggio is locked in a battle with Mike Weaver to determine who will handle kickoff responsibilities this year. Also Ejiofor, Austin and Bell are still missing from practice.

The biggest surprise for me from the redshirt discussion during the coaches show was the fact that Tra Redd will not redshirt. I hadn’t heard much about that possibility recently and I’m interested to see how they handle playing time given that he will likely be the #4 safety. I’m obviously excited about Redd’s long term potential.

Especially after the coaches show yesterday, there’s not much suspense left for the release of the first depth chart of the season. The position that I’m most interested in is the S-WR where Steven Claude really came on late. I’m also interested to see whether they declare a winner at rover (Brown/Kemp) and how they list the Janvion/Glenn/Bates committee at safety.

I am optimistically hoping for 7 wins. We have lost games the last two years in the 4th qtr when we ran out of gas and made mistakes. The syracuse game comes to mind. I am hoping we start to win a chunk of those. The duke game to me is key. It's a house money game. We are expected to lose and can still be bowl bound w a loss so would really hope we come out loose and fast against a gimpy qb or the backup qb

I think the Duke game will tell us how competitive we are going to be in conference. A win would be a huge confidence boost, at least for the fans. A blow-out loss will effectively suck the air out of the tenuous optimism around the program at this point.

We gave Duke a tough game last season and, if I recall correctly, we didn't have Hinton for that game.

+1. Hate Saban, but he probably would've won 3-4 games in 2014 and probably 5-6 last year. Not much better, but certainly better. The reason i could see him doing a little better is because I'd doubt he'd continue with the same hapless offensive scheme over and over and over again which produced next to nothing. I'm not saying clawson stinks. Just saying that Saban most certainly would have done better, albeit marginally

Lol at this.

2007: 67th in total offense (65th scoring)
2008: 41st in total Offense (35th scoring)
2009: 15th in total offense (22nd scoring)
2010: 22nd in total offense (18th scoring)
2011: 30th in total offense (20th scoring)

Excluding 2014 when Kiffin came in, he's a sub-par offensive coach given the talent he brings in his entire time at Alabama. They win with Defense and running the football.

He probably would have done better than Clawson from a wins perspective, but let's not make Saban out to be some offensive mastermind.

Saban would have done better because he would have recruited better. And assembled a staff that is better.

Saban would have done better because he would have recruited better. And assembled a staff that is better.

Right, within the parameters of this discussion are we just trading out Saban for Clawson/Grobe, or does Saban get to assemble the team/staff as well.

IF WE ARE GOING TO DO FALSE HYPOTHETICALS THEN WE HAVE TO AT LEAST SET THE FRAMEWORK FOR THEM.

At the risk of sounding like 2&2, it's a stretch to say you simulated the season. There's no way you would have ended up with anything different than the original probabilities.

Ph, I wasn't being argumentative when I asked how you would have "simulated" the season. I really wanted to hear if there was a way that you would have done it to produce a better simulation.

Obviously the predictions were going to mimic and mirror Connelly's numbers. How would you account for variables that are unforeseen (injuries, record at time of playing, even weather)? This seemed like the best way to get a percentage basis of what each win number is based on those probabilities, which was the point of the article.

Contributing to the mindless discussion about Saban v. Clawson, and what more Saban would've accomplished through his first two years with the utter dearth of talent on hand:

Alabama had 7 players taken in the 2016 NFL draft (all in the first 3 rounds; that's amazing; Bama had 7 of the top 96 players in all of college football for the 2016 draft class), and then another 8 Bama players signed as undrafted free agents. In 2015 Bama also had 7 players drafted, and another 9 players sign as NFL free agents. That's 31 football players in two classes that have the talent to contend for a spot in the NFL. Over that same period, WF had 1 player drafted (KJ), and 3 other players sign as undrafted free agents (Noel, Brent and Chubb; am I missing anyone?). That's 4 football players that have the talent, to put it kindly, to contend for a spot in the NFL. Saban is really good at coaching elite players; have a hard time seeing him do much more with the WF 2014 and 2015 rosters even if Saban had signed some high profile recruits during his stay at WF.

The 2014 WF football team was as lacking in offensive talent as any Power V team ever; Saban could've had Bill Walsh rise from his grave as OC, and Bill Belicheck as his DC, and that team wouldn't have gone to a bowl. Last year's team was similarly lacking in talent. The argument that Saban would've recruited better is not really valid in guestimating 2014 and 2015 accomplishments under Saban because true and even RS freshman rarely make a huge difference in college football; so, even with Saban recruiting hard to see that WF would've been a bowl team last year.

Also, the ridiculous Saban v. Clawson ignores the variable that Saban would've left WF after the 2014 season, if not during that season, as soon as any opportunity arose had WF hired Saban to replace Jim Grobe.

Lol at this.

2007: 67th in total offense (65th scoring)
2008: 41st in total Offense (35th scoring)
2009: 15th in total offense (22nd scoring)
2010: 22nd in total offense (18th scoring)
2011: 30th in total offense (20th scoring)

Excluding 2014 when Kiffin came in, he's a sub-par offensive coach given the talent he brings in his entire time at Alabama. They win with Defense and running the football.

He probably would have done better than Clawson from a wins perspective, but let's not make Saban out to be some offensive mastermind.

How did you arrive at the conclusion that I was hyping him to be an offensive mastermind? I just think he would have done slightly better on the offensive side of the ball. Those stats you provided do make him out to be an offensive genius when compared to our offensive stats.

FWLIW, as an IU fan, I was pleased to hear that Hinton isn't your starter. That's not a knock on Wolford, who clearly is a quality QB, but Hinton's ability to scramble scares the hell out of me.

Looking forward to the match up which likely is a game both fan bases expect to win, and one both teams probably need to win if they want to play in a bowl.

Ph, I wasn't being argumentative when I asked how you would have "simulated" the season. I really wanted to hear if there was a way that you would have done it to produce a better simulation.

Obviously the predictions were going to mimic and mirror Connelly's numbers. How would you account for variables that are unforeseen (injuries, record at time of playing, even weather)? This seemed like the best way to get a percentage basis of what each win number is based on those probabilities, which was the point of the article.

Any idea how his percentile performance percentage vs win expectancy works?

True, they probably don't even have formal training at a shitty graduate program at a subpar university like duke.

True, they probably don't even have formal training at a shitty graduate program at a subpar university like duke.

Need to find a Michigan (State) Man to get to the bottom of this.

FWLIW, as an IU fan, I was pleased to hear that Hinton isn't your starter. That's not a knock on Wolford, who clearly is a quality QB, but Hinton's ability to scramble scares the hell out of me.

Looking forward to the match up which likely is a game both fan bases expect to win, and one both teams probably need to win if they want to play in a bowl.

Even Indiana fans know. Hinton led a near comeback victory against them last year. Was very exciting.

Also, CBS sports did an ACC season preview. 3 of 7 predict us to finish 7th in the Atlantic, 2 of 7 predict us to finish 6th, and 2 of 7 predict us to finish 5th. One guy also has BC finishing 4th, which seems absurd to me.

I don't think it's a game most Wake fans expect to win on the road. It'd be nice to have either this one or Duke to get to 6 but not a must win.

Back