• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

with WF bringing 13 recruits and 3 transfers to campus for the spring semester, we need to strip out 16 scholarships for that term, correct? Presumably we are letting Griffis, for example, stay on scholarship to complete his degree.

?

There is a scholarship limit of 85. Presumably that applies to the fall and spring semesters

we had 85 guys on scholarship in the fall. We just added 16 more for spring of 2024. Some guys will leave...but of those leaving, many (including Mitch and Marucci) will be here in the spring, earning credits to graduate. Presumably we need 16 guys to leave today, in order to take 16 guys in.

Griffis is committed to Marshall. Why would he be at Wake Forest in the spring?

There is a scholarship limit of 85. Presumably that applies to the fall and spring semesters

we had 85 guys on scholarship in the fall. We just added 16 more for spring of 2024. Some guys will leave...but of those leaving, many (including Mitch and Marucci) will be here in the spring, earning credits to graduate. Presumably we need 16 guys to leave today, in order to take 16 guys in.
Guys we have a whole thread on this. 22 Players have left for one reason or another since the end of the season.
Summary:
We started with 99 players who could take a scholarship next year, 14 over the max.

21 are incoming freshmen (green)
21 more walked on senior day but I believe could still return (orange)
There are a bunch more guys who haven't graduated but fit the mold of dudes who might transfer (e.g. Will Towns or Christian Greene)
5 players are out of eligibility (red at the bottom)

I think we'll want to add at least five transfers, probably more -- so we should expect over 20 additional guys to end up departing, but would not be surprised if it's a lot more.

Updated 11/28

Deadlines to keep in mind for the roster:

Guys we have a whole thread on this. 22 Players have left for one reason or another since the end of the season.

I'm asking a different question, since some of the guys who are leaving don't leave until after the spring semester (see above), but I'll drop it

I'm asking a different question, since some of the guys who are leaving don't leave until after the spring semester (see above), but I'll drop it
When a player enters the portal, they are giving up their scholarship, so I would assume that means Mitch is paying for this final semester.

When a player enters the portal, they are giving up their scholarship, so I would assume that means Mitch is paying for this final semester.

thanks. I guess if he hasn't spent his NIL money he can (barely) swing it

I'm not sure that is true. IIRC sometimes the school sometimes still foots the bill for the transferring student-athlete for the last semester. Perhaps as a measure of goodwill or just doing the right thing.

I'm not sure that is true. IIRC sometimes the school sometimes still foots the bill for the transferring student-athlete for the last semester. Perhaps as a measure of goodwill or just doing the right thing.
That is an excellent way of showing the difference between what a school is obligated to do and what they may choose to do. A school is not obligated to have the student on scholarship the semester following them putting their name in the portal but the school could still choose to.

Considering Griffis dad is a VA HS football coach, and that he is tight with a lot of VA HS football coaches and WF recruits extensively in VA, don't see WF pulling Griffis' Spring scholly, but could be wrong.

So how would he be earning that scholarship in the Spring?

what is even the cost to the school for him to be there for a semester at this point?

certainly nowhere close to the sticker value for a non-athlete

How is footing the bill for someone not on scholarship different than…being on scholarship?

Seems like a potential gray area to skirt around scholarship limits. You could have a lot of “walk ons” who just happened to have their tuition payed by the school if this was allowed…

Back