• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest sports Mt Rushmore

..... so basically our Mt Rushmore would attract no visitors besides the ones we already had.

picard-facepalm-o.gif

Skinner?? Give me a break.....

Arnie
Tim
Averill
Hemric

Honorable Mention:

Bones
Piccolo
Norm Snead (was #2 pick in NFL draft)
Chappell
Schoetz

I think what you meant to type was, 'Skinner? That young wipersnapper? How did I get so fucking old?

He wasn't as good at coaching kickball as she was at coaching hockey......they've got sticks and hard balls in FH.

ignoring this lack of analysis, both are pretty incredible coaches.

Averill
311-147-3 (.678)
3 NCAA championships
3 ACC Championships
9 straight Final Fours

Vidovic
225-87-31 (.655)
1 NCAA Championship
3 ACC championships
3 ACC COY
1 NCAA COY

However, there are only 79 division 1 field hockey teams in the country, their tournament only has 16 teams, and has only been around since 1981. Compare that to soccer, with 204 D1 teams, 48 teams in the tournament, around since 1959.

The ACC is really, really strong in both field hockey and soccer.

ignoring this lack of analysis, both are pretty incredible coaches.

Averill
311-147-3 (.678)
3 NCAA championships
3 ACC Championships
9 straight Final Fours

Vidovic
225-87-31 (.655)
1 NCAA Championship
3 ACC championships
3 ACC COY
1 NCAA COY

However, there are only 79 division 1 field hockey teams in the country, their tournament only has 16 teams, and has only been around since 1981. Compare that to soccer, with 204 D1 teams, 48 teams in the tournament, around since 1959.

The ACC is really, really strong in both field hockey and soccer.

NINE STRAIGHT Final Fours......

who cares how many teams there are. if anything having fewer will concentrate the talent in the top teams.

Case for Riley (over Jen Averill):

He crushes every major QB record at Wake. Look at the separation between 1st and 2nd.

#1 in Wins by a starting QB: 31 (2nd place: 18)
#1 in passing TDs: 60 (2nd place : 44)
#1 in passing completions: 903 (2nd place: 665)
#1 in completion %: 66.9% (2nd place: 60.1%)
# 1in Career Total Offense: 9923 yards (2nd place: 7838)
Season Pass Efficiency: ranks #1, #2, #4 and #8. No one else is in the top 10 more than once.

More importantly, somebody needs to represent that 2006 team, which was responsible for the best Wake Forest sports moment in the last 19 years. People actually cared about Wake football when he was the QB.

Also, popularity has to play into this. More Wake grads have seen a picture of Riley's freaking dong than have seen a picture of Jen Averill.

WF won their first field hockey NCAA in 2002. Of the 12 yearly champions between 2002 and the present 10 were ACC teams (and the ACC was the runner-up both years that an ACC team did not win). So, winning the ACC in FH, is almost equivalent to winning the NC. The number of teams that compete to win NCs in field hockey is so limited that IMO, it's harder to win an ACC title in football or basketball at WF than winning a NC in field hockey. I am a Jenn Averill fan, but she is not one of the 4 most accomplished/significant figures in WF sports history.

I would go with:

Arnie
Duncan
Grobe
Chappell

One further note on Grobe: while it is easy to forget given the struggles over the past few years, consider WF's awful football history prior to Grobe. IIRC, Grobe has more .500 or above ACC football seasons than all other coaches in WF football history. He has taken WF to more bowls than all other coaches in WF history combined. Prior to Grobe's arrival at WF, 1-10 seasons with a majority of ACC losses in blow-out fashion were the norm. WF football became competitive and relevant under Grobe. Would guess that WF had more sell-outs under Grobe than all other WF football coaches in ACC history. Other than an occasional competitive season, WF football was pathetic until Grobe arrived.

Last edited:
I'm going to submit a 4-man entry for each one of the four categories I mentioned in an earlier post:

Basketball: Dickie Hemric, Len Chappell, Charlie Davis, Tim Duncan

Football: Bill George, Billy Ray Barnes, Norm Snead, Brian Piccolo

Golf: Arnold Palmer, Lanny Wadkins, Curtis Strange, Jay Haas

Coaches: Peahead Walker, Bones McKinney, Jesse Haddock, Jim Grobe

Including 4 FB players without Riley Skinner is probably incorrect. I'm not sure I would argue with you otherwise. I might personally put CP over Charlie Davis.

Wake football has been a joke. Not sure that sport deserves a spot on the WFU Mt. Rushmore. If it did, you give it to Grobe.

I wouldn't argue with you about including Skinner. No way that Chris Paul is ahead of Charlie Davis, though, IMO. I wouldn't even put Chris Paul ahead of Skip Brown or Randolph Childress.

That's why I added the caveat of "personally". No chance CP has the numbers to belong in the top 4, but much like Piccolo, his legacy will only grow IMO.

Riley Skinner's junk
Carl Tacy's combover
The Pit Knife Kenny Green used to stab Tony Karasek
The Fire Bz Billboard

Winning a men's soccer title is undoubtedly the greatest single season accomplishment IMO. Baseball in 1955 isn't that comparable to soccer in the 2000's I don't think.

Winning a men's soccer title is undoubtedly the greatest single season accomplishment IMO. Baseball in 1955 isn't that comparable to soccer in the 2000's I don't think.

Soccer is up there. The fact that baseball titles seem to be impossible for ACC teams to come by makes me give it the nod.

We had a a better team the following year, arguably.

Back