• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's own Tommy Elrod caught leaking football information to other teams

Can't have it both ways.

When the story first broke, DR stated that he had a background of knowing Elrod for 20 years, and did not believe the story. That is after the story was out, even then, it wasn't foreseeable.

Now, that it is undeniable that Elrod took WF information and gave it to opponents, DR is claiming that Elrod doing this was foreseeable. (On top of the fact in the 100+ year history of football, there is not a single example that anyone can give of a player, coach, reporter, broadcaster taking information from the team he is affiliated with and giving it to that team's opponents; not one). Yet, even though DR knew Elrod for 20 years and the story was out there, DR did not believe it. Even so, Elrod's stealing of WF football information was FORESEEABLE?

No, Elrod's actions were not foreseeable by anyone. There is one person at fault here: Tommy Elrod.

Our AD tells us they have pilfered through Elrod's emails and texts. Given that, seems inconceivable they do not have the motivation. As Clawson says, the players, families, and alums who invested in these 3 seasons deserve to know what happened. Given Clawson's statement that he questioned hiring a guy who was not retained, it seems Clawson let the cat out of the bag that revenge/hatred was his motivation. Still we are left making assumptions and guesses which we must do giving continued hiding of the ball by our AD.

Legal question - What allowed for Wake to have access to that information? Was Elrod's cell phone provided by WFU? By IMG? If it was IMG, why would WFU be granted access to the records?

Legal question - What allowed for Wake to have access to that information? Was Elrod's cell phone provided by WFU? By IMG? If it was IMG, why would WFU be granted access to the records?

Would WFU have needed access to the records? IMG or Verger could have conducted their own investigation and given the results to Wake.

Question for clarification:

Did the team really share specific plays with Elrod? I know he had them, but I was assuming it was more like he took advantage of his considerable access to get things that weren't explicitly shared.

Guys, this sucks but it is no ones fault other than Elrod. He clearly was given two wonderful jobs after Grobe left. In the coaching game guys get replaced and move around all of the time.

I thought he was a solid color guy. No way this should have been a problem the way he was treated.

You never know what's going on in someone's head. Losing a child, he could be suffering from PTSD, having a controlled nervous breakdown.

I would imagine that if Louisville had any class at all is would have been handled internally. But they don't and it wasn't. I also believe that Clawsen is a very wound up dude, and prickly as he has been described is an understatement. He is driven and doesn't take any shit which is absolutely imperative at Wake and a nice change. It is highly likely however that he overreacted. Blaming Wellman for any of is isn't nonsense.

Good post. That said, just because some vague notion of "problems" was foreseeable does not mean this scenario was foreseeable.

Nobody has claimed anybody thought at the time, "Elrod is going to pass on game plan information to other former Grobe coaches."

I don't think it's fair to require suspicion to be so precise.

This was likely (should've been) covered by Elrod's terms of employment with IMG and Verger. Many/most businesses have policies that give employers the full and complete right to review and share with whomever they want the emails and phone logs of their employees. This policy is usually found in the employee handbook provided to each employee when they were hired. Given that Wake Forest is a valued customer of IMG and Verger, when WF requested the email/phone records for Elrod from his employers, IMG and Verger would've been happy to provide them as they want to keep WF in their good graces. In other instances when there could be an adverse relationship between WF and IMG or Verger, there would need to be an active civil case between Elrod and WF, then at that point, WF can subpoena those records from IMG, Verger or whomever else might have information that would be helpful in the case.

Some wanted to hire him to the staff.

http://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/20207-Retained-Grobe-Staff?highlight=Elrod
Some did.

Elrod deserves a chance, he's an alum. There has to be a place for him, even if in the AD somewhere.

Some didn't.

Nothing against Elrod but isn't that what so many people fault Wellman and Grobe for, hiring/retaining people based on connections not qualifications?

None of them should be allowed to ever step foot on campus or a football field again.

They were all told on Tuesday of last week to clean out their offices and be out by Thursday. That's a pretty solid sign that none of them will be allowed to stay.

Good news. Our fans are way too sentimental.

Elrod needs to use his degree to find job outside of Wake like the rest of us. Same goes for Rusty and Randolph.

Nobody has claimed anybody thought at the time, "Elrod is going to pass on game plan information to other former Grobe coaches."

I don't think it's fair to require suspicion to be so precise.

Does it need to be precise? Not necessarily. But the worst it appears anyone suspected was biased commentating. That's not even in the realm of what happened.

Pilfered through seems like a word to me. But apparently I'm not as smart as Wake's lawyers. It's the Trump era. I'd be getting it out there. The old days where it was a good idea to say "we have a departmental policy that will not let us release more info" ended in about 1998.

It is a word. You just used it wrong. I am not a fan of the Board grammar police, as we all type things on here quickly. But I couldn't resist the urge to gig you on that one. :thumbsup:

It is a word. You just used it wrong. I am not a fan of the Board grammar police, as we all type things on here quickly. But I couldn't resist the urge to gig you on that one. :thumbsup:

correcting usage isn't correcting grammar. grammar police are the worst.

And Pilch, I'm pretty clearly conflicted out of all of these cases if any ever exist, so I'm allowed to take all kinds of alternative and even mutually exclusive positions. It's my American right!

Back