• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Most Likely to Upset

It still doesn't make sense.

Wake should play every year: an FCS school that is an easy win, a lower level FBS school that is an easy win, a FBS program in a recruiting area you want(UCF, USF, Old Dominion, Georgia State, Texas State), and a name brand Power 5 school that may be down. You don't play non name brand schools where you are 60-40 to win.

Right. You've got to have people in charge who know how to play the metagame. You don't schedule against yourself.

Their defense is about the middle defense we play this year. It's not even the best defense we've played in the first four games.

Who on our ACC schedule would App have a better defense than?

Going off S&P as an objective metric, App State ranks as the 40th best defense at this point of the season. Current ranks of the other FBS teams on our schedule in order:

Boston College: 27th
Utah State: 77th
Florida State: 4th
Clemson: 3rd
Georgia Tech: 42nd
Notre Dame: 21st
Louisville: 39th
Syracuse: 51st
N.C. State: 35th
Duke: 56th

So App, as of right now, is ahead of Utah State, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, and Duke.

App is behind: Boston College, FSU, Clemson, Notre Dame, Louisville, and N.C. State

I'm going to assume S&P counts OT stats because Tech's defense is likely better than 42nd. They gave up 28 pts to Tennessee in regulation. That's not horrible. They really just fell apart at the end. I'm curious to see how Tech's D shows up going forward. If they're not tough, I like our chances.

I guess as much as I respect App's program, I just don't see their defense being materially any better than any ACC team.

I haven't seen a single snap App's played all year so I have no idea. They're regarded as a top 55-60 team overall by most metrics so it's not too surprising to me that they would have a top 50 defense.

App worked hard to shut down UGA's running attack and did pretty well against if for almost a quarter as Georgia was trying to play conservative and then they were trying to keep it simple after App State injured Jacob Eason on a lat hit out of bounds. Once Georgia opened it up just a little bit App couldn't cover anyone and the running game got going too. They still may be a top 50 defense, but who knows. BC was a pretty bad defense imo.

Utah State may be the worst FBS team I've ever seen play live.

I haven't seen a single snap App's played all year so I have no idea. They're regarded as a top 55-60 team overall by most metrics so it's not too surprising to me that they would have a top 50 defense.

It's hard to compare games, but Texas State put up 386 yards against App. Texas State put up 305 against Houston Baptist.

App worked hard to shut down UGA's running attack and did pretty well against if for almost a quarter as Georgia was trying to play conservative and then they were trying to keep it simple after App State injured Jacob Eason on a lat hit out of bounds. Once Georgia opened it up just a little bit App couldn't cover anyone and the running game got going too. They still may be a top 50 defense, but who knows. BC was a pretty bad defense imo.

You must have not seen us play during the Caldwell days.

I really think as the season plays out, we'll see that we made Utah State look worse then they are. I'm not saying they're great or good, but I don't think they are as bad as we made them look.

Saw tons of those games.

I still bear those scars. WF in the mid and late 90's was horrendous and our athletic department didn't give two shits. I felt that we hit rock bottom when we "sold" a home game against F$U and played in Orlando.

I still bear those scars. WF in the mid and late 90's was horrendous and our athletic department didn't give two shits. I felt that we hit rock bottom when we "sold" a home game against F$U and played in Orlando.

That may have been the most "LOWF" moment ever.

Selling our Clemson game in '84 was a profile in courage. Bernbp5 is right about his scheduling idea. That's why losing to Bill Callahan's Nebraska team in '07 still hurts. The recent Miami games are another example. I wish we could have played Michigan when Rich Rod was there. This year, I wish we had Texas, A&M, Baylor, Iowa, or Michigan St. maybe LSU. This would be our chance to hag a pelt on the wall. We might get one of them in a bowl game.

Back