• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake rejects CBI bid

The only definite televised games are the finals on CBS College Sports. Every other game has a chance to be televised as multiple games are played at the same time and only one of those games is televised. Also, the preliminary rounds television carrier has not been announced but it is most likely going to be AXS or CBS College Sports.

After thinking about Wake and the CBI again. It really does not make that much sense to me. To my uninformed self, this seems like Wake may be considering it but they'll ultimately turn down this sham of a tournament.

Last edited:
I'm totally fine with this as long as Buzz is fired first. The players definitely deserve something positive for putting up with Buzz for this long

booze, cocain, hookers. anything but making them play another game in this sh!t show.

Only if it was Howland, this would give him a chance to get his feet wet coaching again as well as getting to know some of the players. Even then doesnt make much sense and not sure if the timing would even make that possible.

The only definite televised games are the finals on CBS College Sports. Every other game has a chance to be televised as multiple games are played at the same time and only one of those games is televised. Also, the preliminary rounds television carrier has not been announced but it is most likely going to be AXS or CBS College Sports.

After thinking about Wake and the CBI again. It really does not make that much sense to me. To my uninformed self, this seems like Wake may be considering it but they'll ultimately turn down this sham of a tournament.

There's one scenario where it makes sense...

Is there a scenario where Wellman gives Battle the CBI as a platform to get exposure as interim coach in advance of his (meaning Battle's) job search?

If we play in the CBI and [Redacted] is the coach, nobody should go. I sure as hell won't pay attention.

If we play in the CBI and somehow [Redacted] has been fired before we do, everyone should go and cheer as loudly as possible. Make signs that express pure unadulturated happiness and start chants about it being a new era.

Is there a scenario where Wellman gives Battle the CBI as a platform to get exposure as interim coach in advance of his (meaning Battle's) job search?

That scenario is basically a sympathy card to Battle for all the miserable shit he's dealt with in his life since Skip's death. I think we'd all be fine with that, provided that if we actually won the damn thing, it doesn't necessarily mean Battle would simply be elevated to the HC gig.

If Battle was to coach us in the CBI, I do think the players would absolutely bring it in this tournament. And I do think they're capable of winning games when they're not worried about playing too well and accidentally making [Redacted] look good.

The last four years don't indicate that Ron really has much concern for Battle's professional opportunities. I am assuming Jeff would be better off in his job search not being tied down by coaching responsibilities. No one is going to look at him more favorably due to any success he has in a third-tier tournament.

Sitting here remembering the days where we were considering turning down an invitation to the NIT because we deserved to be in the NCAAs, instead of the current days where we're considering paying to go to a third rate tournament because we have no where else to play in late March

The only reason to play in this tournament would be to schedule extra games for a 1st or 2nd year coach with a young team. There is no chance that WF will have a new coach in place and ready to coach the team in the next 5 days. Would be shocked if WF agreed to pony up the cash to play in this tournament given the current situation.

That scenario is basically a sympathy card to Battle for all the miserable shit he's dealt with in his life since Skip's death. I think we'd all be fine with that, provided that if we actually won the damn thing, it doesn't necessarily mean Battle would simply be elevated to the HC gig.

If Battle was to coach us in the CBI, I do think the players would absolutely bring it in this tournament. And I do think they're capable of winning games when they're not worried about playing too well and accidentally making [Redacted] look good.

This would have the added upside of showing any potential hire that things might not be as bad as they appear to be.

Only if it was Howland, this would give him a chance to get his feet wet coaching again as well as getting to know some of the players. Even then doesnt make much sense and not sure if the timing would even make that possible.

And if he doesn't win it all, coaching with a team he has never coached, sets him up as a loser from the get go. Why would you want to risk putting a damper on fan enthusiasm just before a long first off-season? It makes no sense to me from any perspective.

if he doesnt win a tournament with a horrible team that he has never coached before would set him up as a loser? your logic makes no sense

And if he doesn't win it all, coaching with a team he has never coached, sets him up as a loser from the get go. Why would you want to risk putting a damper on fan enthusiasm just before a long first off-season? It makes no sense to me from any perspective.
Yea -- hiring a new coach and asking him to coach this team in the CBI is absolute madness. He'd have no time to work with this group, it would be a possible negative story if we lost early, and it's not like anyone would care if we actually won (remember there are at least two legitimate post-season tournaments that will be going on at the same time.) It's all downside and no upside. Hire a new coach, let him work with our team in the fall, and try and maximize the full extent of the honeymoon bump.

i agree i wouldnt do it and it doesnt make sense, but that or Battle coaching the CBI should be the only reasons we even think about doing it.

The last four years don't indicate that Ron really has much concern for Battle's professional opportunities. I am assuming Jeff would be better off in his job search not being tied down by coaching responsibilities. No one is going to look at him more favorably due to any success he has in a third-tier tournament.

[Redacted] can get a job tomorrow as an NBA advance scout for a playoff team and get back on the bench as an assistant as soon as coaches start moving around. He has absolutely nothing to worry about.

Dudes, we're not going to hire a new coach and have him coach the CBI like a day later. C'mon.

Back