• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Tennis 2017-2018

Petros lost in semis of Oracle to Pham of Columbia 2-6, 7-6, 6-0. Disappointing as he should have won in straights.

Yuval Solomon was highlight of the Florida tourney for Wake beating #7 Perez, and #74 Morin-Kougcheff, then two competitive losses to Vale of Florida, and top 30 Freidrich of So Car. If he plays like he did over the weekend it will make it hard to keep him out of the lineup.

Seraphim lost to Oradini of Miss St, won in straights over Lancaster of UofL, got a WO, and then lost a competitive match 6-3, 6-4 to #7 Perez. He's the #1 alternate to get into main draw of All Americans. I would beat he does.

Not the debut for Bar Botzer that I had hoped for but hopefully just match rust. Lost 1 and 1 to Trey Yates of UK, beat Chase P-Blanco of Florida in 3, then beat Nic Braun of Miss St in 3, before losing to a guy from Tulane 0 and 3. I had been thinking Botzer would be a lock for top 6 but not as sure now.

It looks like we have plenty of depth, but I noticed Sean Hill who recently transferred to BYU, won his region's ITA and qualified for the nationals- wonder if he thought he would not get to play at Wake, but he is obviously a player.

It looks like we have plenty of depth, but I noticed Sean Hill who recently transferred to BYU, won his region's ITA and qualified for the nationals- wonder if he thought he would not get to play at Wake, but he is obviously a player.

I had similar thoughts. Great result for Hill. I'm pretty sure he transferred after his first semester at Wake. He may have just felt the school, team, etc wasn't a good fit for him, or maybe he lost scholarship money when Gojo arrived in January? Eric Rutledge has also done pretty well at Rice after transferring from Wake after one year.

I wouldn't read too much into it. That's a really weak region. From what I've heard, his transfer was largely driven by him not fitting well with the team (which, I've heard, was more the team's fault than his).

Deacs just won another national championship! Mansouri and Chrysochos teamed up in doubles at the fall national championships, were unseeded, and just won the championship over Texas 6-2, 6-2.

Overall, the Deacs had a great tournament. In addition to winning the doubles, Petros made the finals in singles. He lost to the 1 seed earlier today in the national championship match.

Mansouri also made the quarterfinals in singles and lost a tough one in a third set tiebreak.

Having two of the final 8 players in singles is even more impressive given that perhaps Wake's best player, Gojo, wasn't in the tournament.

Overall, the Deacs had a great tournament. In addition to winning the doubles, Petros made the finals in singles. He lost to the 1 seed earlier today in the national championship match.

Mansouri also made the quarterfinals in singles and lost a tough one in a third set tiebreak.

Having two of the final 8 players in singles is even more impressive given that perhaps Wake's best player, Gojo, wasn't in the tournament.

You think Gojo could jump Chrysochos this year to take the #1 spot? I’ve heard/read (can’t remember which) that we’re bringing in someone who’s supposed to be really good in January. I’m not sure where he’ll factor into all that.

Yes, I think Gojo could play 1 this year. He and Petros are very close.

Deacs just won another national championship! Mansouri and Chrysochos teamed up in doubles at the fall national championships, were unseeded, and just won the championship over Texas 6-2, 6-2.

Probably a dumb question, but does this mean that Wake now has 9 national championships or will this be counted like Bea’s singles title?

Probably a dumb question, but does this mean that Wake now has 9 national championships or will this be counted like Bea’s singles title?

This would be counted like Bea's singles title. A similar discussion occurred about a year ago on here (it was probably after Petros won the 2016 fall singles championship), and the following Wake Forest national champions were identified:

1949 Arnold Palmer Golf
1950 Arnold Palmer Golf
1955 Team Baseball
1974 Team Golf
1974 Curtis Strange Golf
1975 Team Golf
1975 Jay Haas Golf
1979 Gary Hallberg Golf
1986 Team Golf
1996 Andy Bloom Shot Put
1996 Andy Bloom Discus
2002 Bea Bielik Tennis
2002 Team Field Hockey
2003 Team Field Hockey
2004 Team Field Hockey
2007 Team Soccer
2007 Michelle Sikes 5000m Indoor
2007 Michelle Sikes 5000m Outdoor
2008 Cory Parr/Steve Forman Tennis, doubles
2009 Michael Bingham 400m Indoor
2016 Petros Chrysochos Tennis
2016 Skander Mansouri/Christian Seraphim Tennis, doubles
2017 Skander Mansouri/Petros Chrysochos Tennis, doubles

This would be counted like Bea's singles title. A similar discussion occurred about a year ago on here (it was probably after Petros won the 2016 fall singles championship), and the following Wake Forest national champions were identified:

1949 Arnold Palmer Golf
1950 Arnold Palmer Golf
1955 Team Baseball
1974 Team Golf
1974 Curtis Strange Golf
1975 Team Golf
1975 Jay Haas Golf
1979 Gary Hallberg Golf
1986 Team Golf
1996 Andy Bloom Shot Put
1996 Andy Bloom Discus
2002 Bea Bielik Tennis
2002 Team Field Hockey
2003 Team Field Hockey
2004 Team Field Hockey
2007 Team Soccer
2007 Michelle Sikes 5000m Indoor
2007 Michelle Sikes 5000m Outdoor
2008 Cory Parr/Steve Forman Tennis, doubles
2009 Michael Bingham 400m Indoor
2016 Petros Chrysochos Tennis
2016 Skander Mansouri/Christian Seraphim Tennis, doubles
2017 Skander Mansouri/Petros Chrysochos Tennis, doubles

Arnie won two national titles? I don't think he ever won the NCAA?

Arnie won two national titles? I don't think he ever won the NCAA?

This is what his bio says, "He captured both the 1949 and 1950 Southern Conference and NCAA individual titles and led his team to three Southern Conference championships."

This is what his bio says, "He captured both the 1949 and 1950 Southern Conference and NCAA individual titles and led his team to three Southern Conference championships."

Where did you see that bio? I think that is definitely wrong. He never won the NCAA individual title and his Wikipedia bio says he only won the southern conference in '48. Of course he won the US Amateur and ACC titles in '54.

The bio is here http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-golf/spec-rel/092516aac.html

He's listed as Wake first NCAA champion here http://news.wfu.edu/arnold-palmer-a-wake-forest-legend/

He's also listed as the NCAA medalist in 1949 and 1950 here http://www.arnoldpalmer.com/golf/amateur

I don't think he ever won the championship. I think it was played at match play back then and he must have been the qualifying medalist - both in '49 and '50. But that is different from winning the championship - by a long shot. I can't find individual champions listed on the NCAA site but Wikipedia lists Harvie Ward (UNC) as champion from '49 and Fred Wampler (Purdue) in '50. It's a little embarrassing if we are listing him as our first national champion and he really wasn't...

I don't think he ever won the championship. I think it was played at match play back then and he must have been the qualifying medalist - both in '49 and '50. But that is different from winning the championship - by a long shot. I can't find individual champions listed on the NCAA site but Wikipedia lists Harvie Ward (UNC) as champion from '49 and Fred Wampler (Purdue) in '50. It's a little embarrassing if we are listing him as our first national champion and he really wasn't...

It's not just Wake that lists him - he's also listed as the NCAA Medalist in 1949 and 1950 on ArnoldPalmer.com. I think maybe it's indicating that in team play he had the lowest score overall both of those years, hence the term "medalist."

Back