• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake/UVA

Did you see Dino's lay into Leonard for bailing out on a drive to the basket by a UVA player that resulted in a dunk? It happened during the last 2 mins of the game. Dino's was hot.

Good for Dino's. I saw that too. Weak.

Look, we just don't have any options at the end of the game other than put the ball in CMM's hands and see what he can do. We just don't. And he is not a PG and really can't create his own shot unless he there is a break down on D somewhere. That ain't happnin' against this Virginia team. There is a reason they are No. 2 and 23-1. What else are you going to do? CMM is not like Ish or CP who can just beat you off the dribble whenever they want. He is really a tweener. But damn, if there is a gap or a breakdown, he can take it. But it just isn't there against the best D in the nation. My suggestion would be, against the better teams, not to call TO and tell the kids beforehand that if we have it and need a hoop at the end, just attack and use some time, and we aren't calling TO to let them get set. That's how Belichik took down the Seahawks. It takes stones, esp with so many freshman, but we can't get a late good look against the really good D's, who know CMM is going to have it.

But, great game Deacs. Proud of the work and effort. REALLY proud.

Good post

Meh. Expecting Devin to put up double figures against Gill/Tobey double teams is a bit much. He got fouled on 3 attempts but only hit half of his free throws. Plus he only played 16 minutes on some really awful foul calls.

I'd actually take 0/0 with 6 free throw attempts over, say, 2/8 while trying to force it all night. We were a single bucket from beating UVA on the road - they took away Devin and we made them pay from outside. UVA took a 10 point lead in the 2nd half and we fought back. UVA's a really good team. They have the personnel and the system to take away your top option when it's not an elite talent.

I don't understand why people are resigned to look at this as a last second shot situation. It was the same five Deacs against the same five Cavs. We got plenty of better shots all night. No need for hero ball. Just run the half court and try to get the same open shots we got all day.

I don't understand why people are resigned to look at this as a last second shot situation. It was the same five Deacs against the same five Cavs. We got plenty of better shots all night. No need for hero ball. Just run the half court and try to get the same open shots we got all day.

I wouldn't be too confident about us getting a decent shot off against UVA's half court D within the first 12 seconds of possession. We certainly didn't do it for the balance of the game.
Kinda wish we hadn't called timeout and run pick and pop with Dinos and Codi, though I suspect UVA would have switched and made it a pretty difficult shot.

"He's not a shooter. He's a slasher."

Which makes that last defensive stop not that difficult.

Watch Chauncey Billups tape over and over and we might...might...have an EXCELLENT PG next year.

Are you being serious here? Comparing the talent we currently have to any of Dean Smith's teams? Without Cody making a very difficult play to get that offensive rebound we would not have even been in position to win. You continue to criticize a player who everyone on this board knows his weaknesses. You never seem impressed with all he does right though. Give it a rest. Cody is far from the reason why this team does not win. Front court depth is the biggest problem and we have two players coming in next year to address that.
Do not feed troll

I'm not Dean Smith, but he wanted MJ to take last shot against Georgetown because he knew that Worthy and Perkins were going to be the focus of the defense. It was creative and resulted in an open shot for MJ. We had tons of other options : give ball to MW, or Crab, and run and pick and pop with the Greek. The Greek and Crab were hot, particularly Greek. We certainly don't need to ball in CMM's hands to score in the half court .

Meh. Expecting Devin to put up double figures against Gill/Tobey double teams is a bit much. He got fouled on 3 attempts but only hit half of his free throws. Plus he only played 16 minutes on some really awful foul calls.

I'd actually take 0/0 with 6 free throw attempts over, say, 2/8 while trying to force it all night. We were a single bucket from beating UVA on the road - they took away Devin and we made them pay from outside. UVA took a 10 point lead in the 2nd half and we fought back. UVA's a really good team. They have the personnel and the system to take away your top option when it's not an elite talent.

Oh come on.

I admire CMM's hustle , rebounding, defense and ability to score in transition . But he is horrible in the half court offense. Does everyone want the ball in his hands again in the next game where we have a chance to win? Or on the free throw line ? Only if you enjoy losing .

heartbreaking way to lose and I am down for sure, but for the first time in a long time in basketball season I can say I am proud to be a deacon!

Back