• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake v Duke game thread - Shirts vs. Skins

What really hurts me the most is that unlike the Bz Era, there is enough talent on this team to at be .500 in the ACC, possibly a game or two over .500. I will give DM credit for not having his teams ever give up, they do fight and claw until the end of the game. Honestly, after so many gut wrenching losses the last 3 years, I give the players on his team's a ton of respect for the ability to not mentally quit during the season. During the Bz Era, once we were down by 10 points the game was essentially over.

There's no question the ball hit the rim. There was no shot clock violation.

IMG_2513.jpg

No shit. When he got hot, I immediately thought we should double team him.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Or maybe, just maybe play to deny him the ball and make someone else make a shot.

dude the ball hit the rim. show the video not some still shot

Three things:
1) how the hell do we come out of a time out up by 1 with 40 seconds left and settle for a three pointer with a hand in our face? Great play design.... even better lack of execution.
2) what the hell was Childress thinking? For as good as he might be some day he makes the dumbest and costliest decisions.
3) how the HELL do you let the guy who has dropped 40 points (50% of the opponents points) get an open look at the end? Double team him. Do anything to prevent him from shooting... or just stick mitch on him who couldn't guard him, can't get around a screen, and don't ask Collins to step out to the three off the screen.

About done with this year's pathetic team. Need to grow a pair and decide to stop choking.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

What really hurts me the most is that unlike the Bz Era, there is enough talent on this team to at be .500 in the ACC, possibly a game or two over .500. I will give DM credit for not having his teams ever give up, they do fight and claw until the end of the game. Honestly, after so many gut wrenching losses the last 3 years, I give the players on his team's a ton of respect for the ability to not mentally quit during the season. During the Bz Era, once we were down by 10 points the game was essentially over.

Our teams have basically quit down the stretch both of the last two years btw

Three things:
1) how the hell do we come out of a time out up by 1 with 40 seconds left and settle for a three pointer with a hand in our face? Great play design.... even better lack of execution.
2) what the hell was Childress thinking? For as good as he might be some day he makes the dumbest and costliest decisions.
3) how the HELL do you let the guy who has dropped 40 points (50% of the opponents points) get an open look at the end? Double team him. Do anything to prevent him from shooting... or just stick mitch on him who couldn't guard him, can't get around a screen, and don't ask Collins to step out to the three off the screen.

About done with this year's pathetic team. Need to grow a pair and decide to stop choking.

1) Woods forced an awful shot. He also was the catalyst for the meltdown against Clemson, and was fortunate to get that bank shot to fall tonight in crunch time. Panicked. Again.
2) Just a horrible tech, no excuse.
3) We were switching all screens and Collins just didn't switch. I get the mismatch issue leaving Wilbekin down low, but there's help down low. One his man picked Wilbekin he should have challenged the shot but he didn't. He kind of stood in no-man's land as the shot went up.

Coaching and strategy down the stretch was awful. We played like a scared rec team. We needed to feed the ball to Collins. Guards dribbling out front creating poor postioning and spacing. Forcing shots. And Duke manned-up in the last minute and wanted it very badly...just awful to happen on your home court.
But most of us knew how this would play out in the end. Seen it unfold too many times.

1) Woods forced an awful shot. He also was the catalyst for the meltdown against Clemson, and was fortunate to get that bank shot to fall tonight in crunch time. Panicked. Again.
2) Just a horrible tech, no excuse.
3) We were switching all screens and Collins just didn't switch. I get the mismatch issue leaving Wilbekin down low, but there's help down low. One his man picked Wilbekin he should have challenged the shot but he didn't. He kind of stood in no-man's land as the shot went up.

Collins should have switched and if they dump it to Giles then hack him and let that clown try and make two foul shots to win

dude the ball hit the rim. show the video not some still shot

First, if anything the refs should have taken a look at it. We stop the games for a lot of inane reasons, this could have been an actual game changer. That being said, I've played it over several times in slow motion and it appears that it did not hit the rim. It was short and it was Giles hand that changed the direction of the ball. Of course in watching the replay it looks like Giles pushed off on Collins to keep him from grabbing it for a lay in as Collins has great position under the basket. But that would have been a bail out for our pathetic offensive decision.

Our teams have basically quit down the stretch both of the last two years btw

If the players quit during the last 8-10 minutes of the 2nd half, then how could we be in position to win just about every game? There is a difference between being out-coached and quitting. Under Bz, those teams quit, hence just about every loss being at least 10+ points, and the majority were around 20 points (I don't remember the exact stats of the point differential during the losses, but the latter is pretty close). Under DM, when we lose a game we either had a lead or were down by less than roughly 5 points during the last stretch of the 2nd half. The only loss this season that we didn't have a chance to win was against 'Nova, and they didn't quit during the 2nd half.

I cannot begin to count how many times my soul has been crushed during the 29 years I have been a Wake fan/student/alum. I used to tell people they could compare being a Wake Forest fan to rooting for the Cubs, but I can't even do that any more.

Our team allows the opponent to dictate down the stretch and Danny has got to change that.

If the players quit during the last 8-10 minutes of the 2nd half, then how could we be in position to win just about every game? There is a difference between being out-coached and quitting. Under Bz, those teams quit, hence just about every loss being at least 10+ points, and the majority were around 20 points (I don't remember the exact stats of the point differential during the losses, but the latter is pretty close). Under DM, when we lose a game we either had a lead or were down by less than roughly 5 points during the last stretch of the 2nd half. The only loss this season that we didn't have a chance to win was against 'Nova, and they didn't quit during the 2nd half.

This team has not quit on any game this year. It's quite simple. The coach does not put them in a position to win at the end of the game. whether it's his inability to call play to get the ball to Collins in the last five minutes of every game or ability to coach themed run the play corrrectly. It was not a lack of effort that caused Collins not to switch on the pick. It was lack of coaching and understanding the situation
It continues to befuddle me how we cannot get a shot off after a timeout and jack up threes with a hand in the face

Collins should have switched and if they dump it to Giles then hack him and let that clown try and make two foul shots to win

Right. You can even see Collins start to switch then doesn't. I think he saw Wilbekin start to get around the screen, then Giles moved out a bit more and caught him on his hip right as Collins decided not to help. In an alternate universe he closes hard on Kennard who has to put it on the floor or back it out and we're fine. Just a terrible moment to hesitate.

We ran every guard we had at Kennard and he still shot 100% from deep. Just an absurd performance, plus some brutally stupid shots outside of the offense down the stretch. Even Crawford had the alley oop to Collins on the final play if he hadn't been in hero-mode per the usual.

NC State leaves Duke wide open down the stretch and the go 1/8. We play decent defense and they go fucking bonkers. We really might be cursed. It's statistically unreal what teams have done in the last couple minutes against us regardless of who we match up with who.

I cannot begin to count how many times my soul has been crushed during the 29 years I have been a Wake fan/student/alum. I used to tell people they could compare being a Wake Forest fan to rooting for the Cubs, but I can't even do that any more.

It's amazing the institutional level of un-clutch that is wake. And it's always the big lead that we lose in soul crushing fashion. Have we ever had a big comeback in anything ever? One football game against UNC 20 years ago and I guess the one soccer natty. Otherwise it's always build the lead and watch it all fall apart. See FSU, UVA, Scuse, Duke in hoops, Louisville, BC in football, blowing one kick to win soccer natty, etc. and that's just in half of one fucking school year!!

Think about how I feel. I've been a Wake fan for over 50 years. :rulz:

Three things:

Think about how I feel. I've been a Wake fan for over 50 years. :rulz:

Bless your heart! :eek:

Back