• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wallace Wade Stadium To Be Renovated

I saw a little bit of the Tulane game Saturday and I was amazed at how few fans were there. I thought after last year and a 3-0 start, they'd have more than 20,197 people there.

I saw a little bit of the Tulane game Saturday and I was amazed at how few fans were there. I thought after last year and a 3-0 start, they'd have more than 20,197 people there.

I think it hurts their stadium is on campus, think that quells tailgating quite a bit. If we didn't have the tailgating scene we do I doubt (m)any students would show

If you're wondering how their additions compare to WF's additions,

• Deacon Tower is 123,000 sq ft and the video board is 3,800 sq ft
  • Duke's tower is 91,000 sq ft and the video board is 3,200 sq ft
(data is rounded up to nearest thousand for ease of comparison)

​I'm glad they're upgrading the stadium. It was really, really bad.

I love the qualifier:
“Duke’s football facilities will rank among the finest in college athletics – on a scale appropriate for the University,” said White.

If you're wondering how their additions compare to WF's additions,

• Deacon Tower is 123,000 sq ft and the video board is 3,800 sq ft
  • Duke's tower is 91,000 sq ft and the video board is 3,200 sq ft
(data is rounded up to nearest thousand for ease of comparison)

​I'm glad they're upgrading the stadium. It was really, really bad.

I'm going to steal this for a tweet.

Is this another phase in the renovations that were announced like ten years ago, or did those get put off when the economy tanked? I thought they took the track out a few years back and did some upgrades at the same time. Maybe those upgrades are already obsolete or maybe they never happened.

I love the qualifier:
“Duke’s football facilities will rank among the finest in college athletics – on a scale appropriate for the University,” said White.

Well they like to compare themselves to Stanford. The Cardinal rebuilt their stadium completely in one off season and has a state-of-the-art venue.

Looks like a BB&T Field rip off to me with the tower and scoreboard schematics.

I haven't been to that stadium since 1980 or 81 and even then it was barely serviceable for a high school stadium. It looks like it hasn't changed in the last 30+ years. One issue they have to deal with, and I'm not sure how they would do it, is that the running track that surrounds the field results in the stands starting well back from either side of the field. It makes for a strange viewing environment. The track seems to be gone in the new renderings but the stands don't seem any closer to the field. Anyway, and always and forever, Duck Fook.

I love the qualifier:

Notre Dame: 11,733 total students, 8,371 undergraduates
Duke: 14,600 total students, 6,495 undergraduates

So they should just build something on par with Notre Dame I guess.

I haven't been to that stadium since 1980 or 81 and even then it was barely serviceable for a high school stadium. It looks like it hasn't changed in the last 30+ years. One issue they have to deal with, and I'm not sure how they would do it, is that the running track that surrounds the field results in the stands starting well back from either side of the field. It makes for a strange viewing environment. The track seems to be gone in the new renderings but the stands don't seem any closer to the field. Anyway, and always and forever, Duck Fook.

I think Duke has kind of taken a different approach than us, in that they've improved their football offices, strength training, practice, and meeting facilities before addressing their stadium. Where we have made BB&T field immaculate in my opinion, but are just now starting to address our on campus facilities. As much as I love present day BB&T field over what it was a decade ago, I think a strong argument can be made that addressing the facilities that the player's and coach's use the most are more important. All that being said, Duke does really need to address their stadium, it's basically Bowman Grey stadium on steroids right now. Removing the track and being the seating in a little bit would make a huge difference, along with a new tower and luxury boxes, etc. Of course last time I was there, I was just thrilled they had upgraded some of the bathrooms and you no longer had to pee on the wall lined up like a herd of cattle.

Notre Dame: 11,733 total students, 8,371 undergraduates
Duke: 14,600 total students, 6,495 undergraduates

So they should just build something on par with Notre Dame I guess.

Without the history and tradition, Notre Dame's stadium would be considered a dump. Kind of like Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Look/read again closely Eric....appears they will both remove the track and lower the pitch several feet and add 6-10 rows of new seats. However, no mention in that article of an increase in seating/capacity. Obviously, they've got plenty of bucks to do this first rate.

Look/read again closely Eric....appears they will both remove the track and lower the pitch several feet and add 6-10 rows of new seats. However, no mention in that article of an increase in seating/capacity. Obviously, they've got plenty of bucks to do this first rate.

I think they'd be silly to increase capacity, just like we would be. Duke's having their best run in football since at least Spurrier and they only drew about 20,000 for the Tulane game. They don't need more seats, they just need a nicer stadium like we did.

The renovation of that POS should start with a cruise missile.

All Duke has to do is report an ISIS terror cell operating underneath the 50 yard line at Wallace Wade and the demolition would be free...

Without the history and tradition, Notre Dame's stadium would be considered a dump. Kind of like Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Oh hell how true this is. Fuck it, those places are still dumps despite their history and tradition. Cameron is a shithole. I'd rather be in a airplane toilet on a 9 hour flight originating in New Orleans the Tuesday after Mardi Gras.

Back