• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Watch me build a Mini-Submersible

OOF. Classic mistake. How deep will this drone be able to dive and how much pressure how do you expect at those depths?
It can supposedly manage depths of up to 100m. I'm not sure I'd have the balls to test that limit though.

Ughh I hate when I use too much 2-ton cement to pot my backbone cables.

8eEY6AOh.jpg

New battery tube parts came a while ago but I haven't had time to upload pictures.

ZJ9iQ0Hh.jpg

Properly potted battery tube end-cap.

qFy5yR3h.jpg

Building the remaining electronics tube end-cap.

nHJ8Fsch.jpg

Snipped off the old tubes and spliced the new into the circuit.

4Z07kBTh.jpg

Mocking up the outer shell.

xoBu20Fh.jpg

Kjp1gjBh.jpg

The battery tubes are held in place by really strong rubber bands.

QcXj2oGh.jpg

Structural support rods attached.

QBK5ZLLh.jpg

3 ounce disk sinker are used as ballast weights.

n3CoiCXh.jpg

3 ounce disk sinker are used as ballast weights.

FZDlcdch.jpg

She is really coming together.

LpZZPuMh.jpg

p6Xvyc0h.jpg

yJqAPLdh.jpg

Attaching the tether to the frame. I used some heat shrink tubing to clean up the installation a bit. I think you would probably break the ROV before you could pull the tether loose.

jszYyt8h.jpg

Lubing up the o-ring seals. This stuff is magic but a PITA to spread without collecting dust etc..

Sm40snch.jpg

Batteries loaded to prepare to turn it on for the first time.

urygp7Ah.jpg

My homemade laser calibration scale.

7T9jR9Fh.jpg

Honestly, I was surprised it turned on.

GQclJBth.jpg

Testing the lasers.

H3a4agQh.jpg

This was by far the hardest part of the entire build and something that really isn't all the important. The lasers are used for a sense of scale in dark, cloudy water. They don't come mounted, you have to do it yourself and the mounting area is tight and difficult to access. Even the slightest bit of movement would send the laser out of alignment by a few inches. I basically had to holding it with my finger until the super glue dried. It turns out I do not have a steady finger and I had to do this twice. Letting it dry out of alignment would have created a mess that I didn't want to deal with.

WGdQMLkh.jpg

eEUXE6th.jpg

Electronics tube has a sharp inside edge that needs to be chamfered without scratching the acrylic. I used 150 grit sandpaper

2e2h2Ijh.jpg

Perfect seal!

48ViDFTh.jpg

Fucking awesome.

Next up: a test run in my bathtub.

How the hell are you working with bare feet in your garage/basement in the winter, TW?! Jesus man, put some socks on at least.

so what's the range on this thing? since it's tethered to your computer I'm guessing it's not tremendously far.

One bathtub.
Tether is 100m long mainly because that is the comfortable max depth. You could go further before voltage drop negatively impact your input throughput but I'm not sure how far that would be. I'd imagine drag from the tether would be the main factor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

100m is longer than I was expecting. You gonna take that bad boy out on a lake soon?

Definitely need to give that range in fathoms.

Back