• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Dave Clawson - 430PM Presser (Clawson Wins Presser, OGB Gets E-Boners)

That was press conference coachspeak. Of course he was going to talk up Jim Grobe because of the way he left. Clearly the yokels still care about Grobe because half the questions Clawson fielded in the Q&A were set in the context of Grobe, which is understandable but pointless to say the least.

Is it possible he was taking note of how Grobe was running things in Winston while Clawson himself was racking up COY and conference championships at UR? Sure. But the whole coaching fraternity thing doesn't extend that far beyond pleasantries unless they're really working together. Clawson is his own man, he's not Grobe 2.0, he has his own system and ideas and persona and staff, and I hope he does really well here.

Clawson killed the presser because he hit all the talking points we fans drool over, but just because Grobe shared some similar talking points doesn't mean they're necessarily peas out of the same pod.

It's time for the fans to legitimately move on from Grobe and that narrative because everything else connected to the program is now way ahead of us in that regard.

I started on the various boards in 2001 and was literally the only guy who dared to say " Wake Forest can win every game it plays" ... So great was the epiphany I had of Jim Grobe and what he could do.

Last night, or rather, early this morning a similar vision occurred and I could see that Clawson was a special find for WF. A once in a life time type hire.

You're a goddamn prophet...really.

Odom was at Wake '76-'79. I thought Clawson said "early '80s". Easily a little off on the dates. Cut him some slack.

Quite possibly he was thinking "early 80's" and meant 1979. However, it would be surprising if he was traveling to Wake when he was 10-12 years old, which he would have been when Odom was an assistant coach at Wake. More likely it was another assistant coach in the '83 - '85 time frame, when he was looking for a school to attend. Ernie Nestor (1980 - 1985) and Mark Freidinger (1981- 1985) fit the time line best,with Herb Krusen (1983 - 1985) also a possibility. That would have been the last few years when Carl Tacy was the Head Coach at Wake.

That was press conference coachspeak. Of course he was going to talk up Jim Grobe because of the way he left. Clearly the yokels still care about Grobe because half the questions Clawson fielded in the Q&A were set in the context of Grobe, which is understandable but pointless to say the least.

Is it possible he was taking note of how Grobe was running things in Winston while Clawson himself was racking up COY and conference championships at UR? Sure. But the whole coaching fraternity thing doesn't extend that far beyond pleasantries unless they're really working together. Clawson is his own man, he's not Grobe 2.0, he has his own system and ideas and persona and staff, and I hope he does really well here.

Clawson killed the presser because he hit all the talking points we fans drool over, but just because Grobe shared some similar talking points doesn't mean they're necessarily peas out of the same pod.

It's time for the fans to legitimately move on from Grobe and that narrative because everything else connected to the program is now way ahead of us in that regard.

You are swinging and missing wildly. I don't believe you understand. I think you "think" you understand but you don't.

But that's neither here nor there... Just get ready to have to up your game. This coach is going to teach this fanbase a lot about football. He and his assistants and his players.

I started on the various boards in 2001 and was literally the only guy who dared to say " Wake Forest can win every game it plays" ... So great was the epiphany I had of Jim Grobe and what he could do.

Last night, or rather, early this morning a similar vision occurred and I could see that Clawson was a special find for WF. A once in a life time type hire.

LECTRO LIVES!!!!

HES ALIVEEEE

How can he teach us anything about football that Jim Grobe 1.0 didn't already teach us?

I do think there is validity to the theory that Grobe's success, and the facilities improvements that were caused/accelerated by that success, laid the groundwork to getting a coach as qualified as Clawson. When Caldwell left we were not in the running for any coaches with any national coach of the year titles or conference championships unless it was Pee Wee ball. Grobe was a good hire back then but he certainly was not a superstar or mentioned in a lot of high profile coaching searches IIRC.

Clawson's resume is just a piece of paper - he has a lot to prove on the field at BB&T - but the fact that a person of his profile was so eager to jump at our job is a testament to the foundation Grobe (and Wellman - credit where it's due) built over the past few years.

Quite possibly he was thinking "early 80's" and meant 1979. However, it would be surprising if he was traveling to Wake when he was 10-12 years old, which he would have been when Odom was an assistant coach at Wake. More likely it was another assistant coach in the '83 - '85 time frame, when he was looking for a school to attend. Ernie Nestor (1980 - 1985) and Mark Freidinger (1981- 1985) fit the time line best,with Herb Krusen (1983 - 1985) also a possibility. That would have been the last few years when Carl Tacy was the Head Coach at Wake.

You guys are probably right. You have a good analysis so I don't disagree at all.

How can he teach us anything about football that Jim Grobe 1.0 didn't already teach us?

Hey, I give. Let's not fight. We have had a blessing laid on us and I plan to write as many Wake articles as I can for Sports Carolina -- even if it is a small (75K published) journal dedicated to the Triad I am nonetheless going to have Clawson's Corner in each one and get back my mojo to cover recruiting, news, etc., -- We are in an area where a lot of great HS football is played and I'm gonna get in as much Deacon Football coverage as they will allow.

I am going to follow this new Coach's lead. I am finished with vitriol and the like. I am going to do my small part to report and promote what this guy is doing...so great is my belief. This person is very polished yet has a depth and wealth of football understanding that you don't often see. His post game press conf (MAC Title) allowed me to see him in his environment...the way his players responded and interacted with him was unique.

Through all the board suffering has come a bolt out of the blue.

Skrosky (OC) wants no part of a head gig. He's not the CEO. He wants his locus of control. Bateman (DC) May, but he's the more replaceable of the two and may very well not want to head coach either. I just know about Skrosky.
s

Turns out Skrosky did take the Head job at Elon.

I do think there is validity to the theory that Grobe's success, and the facilities improvements that were caused/accelerated by that success, laid the groundwork to getting a coach as qualified as Clawson. When Caldwell left we were not in the running for any coaches with any national coach of the year titles or conference championships unless it was Pee Wee ball. Grobe was a good hire back then but he certainly was not a superstar or mentioned in a lot of high profile coaching searches IIRC.

Clawson's resume is just a piece of paper - he has a lot to prove on the field at BB&T - but the fact that a person of his profile was so eager to jump at our job is a testament to the foundation Grobe (and Wellman - credit where it's due) built over the past few years.

I really don't get why in the world a Wake fan would want to take a big dump on Grobe's legacy. He left the football program in much better shape than he found it, and gave us a conference title, an Orange Bowl bid, and a bunch of other great wins to boot. When you consider that Reagan just entered office the last time either Carolina or State won the ACC........

He got stale, and was loyal to a fault, but his positive influence on Wake football far outweighed any negative influence.

3yma2ude.jpg

Very well said.
I really don't get why in the world a Wake fan would want to take a big dump on Grobe's legacy. He left the football program in much better shape than he found it, and gave us a conference title, an Orange Bowl bid, and a bunch of other great wins to boot. When you consider that Reagan just entered office the last time either Carolina or State won the ACC........

He got stale, and was loyal to a fault, but his positive influence on Wake football far outweighed any negative influence.

Back