• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Dave Clawson - 430PM Presser (Clawson Wins Presser, OGB Gets E-Boners)

So has anyone actually reported the contract details yet?

Not released to the public yet to my knowledge.

This has been said before, but this hire is huge for Wake Forest. Clawson is the perfect fit for us, and was Wellman's first preference all along. He could fail here as many have before, but its unlikely. Wellman & Buddie did a great job of hiring him, and best of all, he truly wants to be at WFU. Contrary to some of the sentiment, he was the first choice based on his own merits, not due to it being Wellman's alma mater or any shenanigans. Lembo was a close second, but was interviewed first due to Clawson preparing for the MAC Championship game. Lembo was never offered the job, and there was no "lowball" offer as previously reported. The interview never reached that point.

This has been said before, but this hire is huge for Wake Forest. Clawson is the perfect fit for us, and was Wellman's first preference all along. He could fail here as many have before, but its unlikely. Wellman & Buddie did a great job of hiring him, and best of all, he truly wants to be at WFU. Contrary to some of the sentiment, he was the first choice based on his own merits, not due to it being Wellman's alma mater or any shenanigans. Lembo was a close second, but was interviewed first due to Clawson preparing for the MAC Championship game. Lembo was never offered the job, and there was no "lowball" offer as previously reported. The interview never reached that point.

Thanks, King. Hope you are well.

I hope this is the case. I admit that just from what I have seen I'm excited about Clawson. This makes it even more apparent that [Redacted] was a huge fuckup on Wellman's part. Seeing how Wellman acts when he gets "his guy" compared to the apology tour following Buzz, there is just no comparison. We are all aware of the challenges Clawson has to deal with here, but he is saying and doing the right things, let's just hope he makes it happen and sustains it long term.

Wait. So you mean 90% of the posters on here were talking out their ass on the first 30 pages of this thread??? This totally blows my paradigm of the board ...

I'm starting to think that it's a legit possibility that Bz has incriminating information on RW. Wellman handled this whole thing perfectly. Makes it even more baffling how terribly he's handled (and continues to handle!) the Bz situation literally from the minute we first heard his name.

Wellman hired Bz. Bz was a bad candidate. Can't put lipstick on a pig.

Wellman hired Clawson. Clawson is a good candidate. Easier to sell.

I hope this is the case. I admit that just from what I have seen I'm excited about Clawson. This makes it even more apparent that [Redacted] was a huge fuckup on Wellman's part. Seeing how Wellman acts when he gets "his guy" compared to the apology tour following Buzz, there is just no comparison. We are all aware of the challenges Clawson has to deal with here, but he is saying and doing the right things, let's just hope he makes it happen and sustains it long term.

I agree with this and it raises the troubling question of why Buzz is still our coach?

I'm starting to think that it's a legit possibility that Bz has incriminating information on RW. Wellman handled this whole thing perfectly. Makes it even more baffling how terribly he's handled (and continues to handle!) the Bz situation literally from the minute we first heard his name.

I've joked many times about Bzzz having pictures of Ron with the secretary on the desk, but it does make you wonder if Bzzz knows something he used to get the gig here. Wellman has done a great job on this hire, on paper at least, completely opposite of the Bzzz fiasco. Of course I guess it's possible Ron had some kind of ill-conceived hunch with Bzzz and learned his lesson this go around???

I'm not sure if he learned a lesson or not. It's possible the process was similar except this time he had to wait for his guy to become available. This time, it was a good pick. Before it was a horrendous pick.

Is it me or is the athletics dept milking this hire for all its worth? I have never seen so many Facebook posts, emails, and videos. Ron is really trying to dig out of the hole.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

EVERY athletic department milks EVERY hire for all its worth. Nature of the beast.

Wait. So you mean 90% of the posters on here were talking out their ass on the first 30 pages of this thread??? This totally blows my paradigm of the board ...

LOL...so says the self-proclaimed "Wellman Whisperer" who often jumps in to tell us all of the complex thoughts Wellman is thinking at any given moment.

Last edited:
EVERY athletic department milks EVERY hire for all its worth. Nature of the beast.

I don't seeing a lot of press release and such on it. The most frustrating part to me is we have to wait until the end of August to see Coach Claw put a team on the field.

That sounds right to me...and tracks with Clawson's comment thanking Wellman for being patient and waiting until after the title game, and then one more day to interview him. That even makes me feel better about the hire. The number two choice was interviewed first, thus there was a "mark on the wall" for Clawson to match or exceed. From all I've seen and heard from afar, he probably exceeded by a bunch.

I don't seeing a lot of press release and such on it. The most frustrating part to me is we have to wait until the end of August to see Coach Claw put a team on the field.
I dont know about you, but I'm going to tailgate the hell out of the spring game, regardless of whether or not its flag football.

I dont know about you, but I'm going to tailgate the hell out of the spring game, regardless of whether or not its flag football.

In fairness, that was your plan anyway. You'll just be happier about it.

In fairness, that was your plan anyway. You'll just be happier about it.

I think the plan was probably always a tailgate - but this year tsy might actually go in for the game. :plos:

It's just good to be back amongst the living again!

For the past 4-5 years, with Bzz's hiring and Grobe's losing, I've felt like the walking dead.

I agree with this and it raises the troubling question of why Buzz is still our coach?
There's a pretty simple explanation. Bz is still the coach because he was asked by Wellman/BOD to do something with the program and that's exactly what he has done. Wellman/BOD can't really honestly fire a guy that did exactly what they told him to do. I seriously doubt they thought Bz would take the program down as far as it was taken, because of the "tweak" comment, but they have to accept it...AND let it play out.

Back