• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

well said, Kareem (Donald Sterling discussion thread)

I'm not sure what you are talking about, I never mentioned compensation, nor do I think compensation has anything to do with it. The NBA took an extremely strong stand against racism, and that's great. My point is that they are going to have to take an equally strong or stronger stand against wife-beating, gun-running, and the host of other actual crimes committed by their affiliates from this point forward, or else have legit image concerns to deal with that bring back the image concerns they've tried to get rid of. If an owner gets a lifetime ban for racism and discriminatory housing, why wouldn't it be expected that a player from ehre on out gets a lifetime ban for assault with a weapon?

Yeah this is ridiculous. You don't hear news about absurdly racist comments every day. You hear about assaults on the news 4 times a day. Players aren't going to boycott and sponsors aren't going to bail if Dan Gilbert slaps his wife around.

As part of the NBA's operating agreement, the commissioner's decision regarding punishment -- the fine and lifetime ban -- is final, unappealable, and is, in fact, given the legal force of an arbitration agreement by group agreement. It will not be set aside no matter what Sterling tries in an outside court. Sterling forewent his right to a hearing, representation, appeal, etc. by contract. He has no right to appeal, period. He has no right to formal arbitration, period. He agreed to those rules as an owner of an NBA franchise. The other examples you mentioned -- players in other pro leagues -- are cases where arbitration was included in the package of rights the players had as part of their collective bargaining agreement. They have no bearing here. Sterling does not possess such a right, because he explicitly agreed not have such a right years ago, and can't escape it now. The situations simply aren't the same.

Sterling is gone as an active entity in the NBA. The lifetime ban is unassailable. The only question is regarding the league's ability to force him to sell the team rather than creep along as a silent partner. I think Silver has the authority and it will hold up, for the reasons I've stated. Cheers.

So if the commissioner decides that sterling should be anally raped by a gang of gay bikers, the courts will uphold this? Arlington, your arguments this whole thread are absurd.

That said, I'd like to hear TAB's response to the Bomani rant, since he argued housing discrimination never killed anyone.

Last edited:
I was waiting for the post. Did you see the play?

Yeah, Adams provoked him. But does Duncan shove him? No. Does Dawight shove him? Probably not. Does Randolph shove him? Of course he does, because that is who Randolph is, and Adams knows it. How do you think most violent encounters occur, one guy just walking up to someone else and decking them ... of course not, it is an escalating situation where somebody doesn't walk away and instead snaps. And Zach Randolph is the one who will snap, as he has demonstrated throughout his life.

So are you going to stop watching the NBA now?

I'm not sure what you are talking about, I never mentioned compensation, nor do I think compensation has anything to do with it. The NBA took an extremely strong stand against racism, and that's great. My point is that they are going to have to take an equally strong or stronger stand against wife-beating, gun-running, and the host of other actual crimes committed by their affiliates from this point forward, or else have legit image concerns to deal with that bring back the image concerns they've tried to get rid of. If an owner gets a lifetime ban for racism and discriminatory housing, why wouldn't it be expected that a player from ehre on out gets a lifetime ban for assault with a weapon?

Can it be long until an ex-girlfriend records some unseemly player comment while being donkey punched? Silver better get ready for this.

So if the commissioner decides that sterling should be anally raped by a gang of gay bikers, the courts will uphold this? Arlington, your arguments this whole thread are absurd.

That said, I'd like to hear TAB's response to the Bomani rant, since he argued housing discrimination never killed anyone.

My arguments are absurd? What? It's funny when someone says your "argument" about what a contract specifically states is "absurd" when you're simply relating the unambiguous terms of that contract. This isn't really up for debate. The contract terms that Sterling agreed when he purchased his franchise will not be disturbed by the courts. Count on it. There are literally hundreds of examples in other organizations with agreements that use a commissioner to resolve disputes.

Um, no, Silver can't have anyone anally raped by bikers. Rest easy there. The types and forms of available punishments at the commissioner's disposal for Sterling offense are spelled out in the NBA's operating documents, which are contracts that all owners agreed to abide by, including Sterling. Silver gave Sterling a 2.5M fine (maximum allowed by contract) and lifetime ban (maximum allowed by contract), both of which are specifically delineated as within his sole purview as commissioner, and both of which are specifically delineated as unappealable, since the commissioner's decisions on punishment are treated as binding arbitration awards, since the NBA operating agreement itself serves as a contractual arbitration agreement. Which part of that, exactly, are arguing with?

A contract can specifically elect to have a decision-maker's awards -- in this case, a commissioner hired by consent of the owners governed by the agreement -- given the force of arbitration awards. This is not unique to the NBA.

Last edited:
Ramona Shelburne @ramonashelburne
Donald Sterling has agreed to allow his wife Shelly to negotiate a forced sale of the Clippers, source tells ESPN.

The NBA has yet to accept the terms of this new arrangement between Shelly and Donald. She’ll need to sell it all for them to consider.

But if she’s willing to sell the whole thing, this could bring a startlingly quick end to this affair.

I expected this to drag out forever. (Which it still could, obviously.)

If Shelly or Donald think this is a way to delay the vote or the sale, they are mistaken. The NBA constitution states that if the controlling interest in the team is forced to sell, then all other owners must sell their shares.

Sterling has agreed to these terms as requisite to his initial purchase of the team.

If Shelly or Donald think this is a way to delay the vote or the sale, they are mistaken. The NBA constitution states that if the controlling interest in the team is forced to sell, then all other owners must sell their shares.

Sterling has agreed to these terms as requisite to his initial purchase of the team.

What contractual obligation has Sterling broken? That is a requirement for a force sale.

According to E-Poll Market Research, Donald Sterling is the most hated man in America. Here are the others that joined him on that list.

1 Donald Sterling
2 Bernie Madoff
T3 O.J. Simpson
T3 Conrad Murray
5 Justin Bieber
6 Phil Spector
7 Aaron Hernandez
8 Michael Lohan
9 Eliot Spitzer
10 Jon Gosselin

lol

People still care enough about Jon Gosselin to hate him?

According to E-Poll Market Research, Donald Sterling is the most hated man in America. Here are the others that joined him on that list.

1Donald Sterling
2Bernie Madoff
T3O.J. Simpson
T3Conrad Murray
5Justin Bieber
6Phil Spector
7Aaron Hernandez
8Michael Lohan
9Eliot Spitzer
10Jon Gosselin

lol

Oh man, Caturday can't be thrilled with this list.

Back