• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman and Football (+ Lobo-Grobe Wedding News!)

No rational person is suggesting that the SOLE reason Lobo has a job is that they're related. The hilarious part about the whole thing is that everyone has been speculating that Lobo has compromising pictures of Grobe and following the Grobe/Wellman duo letting the best assistant coach on the team go it comes out that GROBE AND FUCKING LOBO ARE IN-LAWS.

You couldn't have written a better SNL skit about the situation. It's perfect.

I'll just say what I've said since 2005...#FIRELOBO

ETA: No one REALLY need to explain the humorous situation in this do they?

exactly

Good lord...I'm fucking done with the boards...y'all are off the fucking deep end. If you really think that our athletic department would allow nepotism in it then I don't know what the hell to tell you...have fun making fun of our coaching staff and people that cheer for the team without me.

One twin, one board.

Good lord...I'm fucking done with the boards...y'all are off the fucking deep end. If you really think that our athletic department would allow nepotism in it then I don't know what the hell to tell you...have fun making fun of our coaching staff and people that cheer for the team without me.

They don't "need to allow nepotism" in it, it occurs naturally. The AD would need to actively prevent it. If you can't admit that Grobe, as someone who has personal ties over a decade and through family, would show natural favoritism to Lobo (an OC who has statistically been in the bottom half of D-I for the past 10 years with what, two years exception) I don't know what to tell you. It doesn't have anything to do with reactionary board posters, it has to do with perception over reality (worst case).

When did they get engaged? Lobo has been coaching with Grobe since 1997.

I can appreciate the concern that some would have that Grobe would be hesitant to fire an in-law. It does create a quandry. Doesn't Wake have a nepotism policy? I know Odom wanted to hire his son but wasn't allowed to do so.

Last edited:
When did they get engaged? Lobo has been coaching with Grobe since 1997.

Simply an aggrevating factor as far as I'm concerned.

A. They've been coaching together since 1997
B. They're now family
C. No way Grobe fires Lobo if tasked to fire "someone from the coaching staff" from Wellman.

Wellman and Grobe have lost the fucking plot (unless Grobe didn't have a say in who was fired in this circumstance while Wellman deviated from his AD style over the previous two decades, in which case, just Wellman has lost the fucking plot)

Ohh doofus...you're just as entertaining as the people on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I'm hoping to hear more info about what went down to cause the Billings firing, because on its face it seems absurd but I don't want to jump to conclusions. However, there is a reason why many companies have extremely strict anti-nepotism policies...so that people's personal loyalties don't blind them to what is best for the company as a whole. Even if there is no actual wrongdoing, avoiding the appearance of impropriety is important if you actually want to command any respect as a business executive. Same thing applies to coaches and AD officials. I think it is absurd for any college program, to allow coach's kids, in-laws, etc. to be part of the same coaching staff.

Interesting this thread seems to be based on an exhibition bowl game as the defining moment for these coaches.

On the season, Tanner and the offense set Wake records despite losing their starting RB. Special teams cost us the Clemson game and were horrid all year. The defense was worse than its talent for much of the year, the highlight being the Vandy game. Not sure of the total numbers, but closing out the season we were almost historically low in sacks and tackles for losses and not one sack against MSU. Extremely uneven season.

Ph and company are always complaining we don't play big-boy football and hold coaches accountable. Well guess what, you got what you asked for. Defense was horrid a year ago, uneven this year. 2 years of poor special teams... As much as Lobo frustrates me and as much as I was hoping the announcement was him moving on, just looking at the results on the field he's the last of those three to get fired, marriage or no.

I'm hoping to hear more info about what went down to cause the Billings firing, because on its face it seems absurd but I don't want to jump to conclusions.
This really is the key factor and no matter how much we want to make jokes about the Lobo/Grobe relationship, this should be the truth that is sought out.

That's a pretty weak family connection. Grobe's son is marrying the sister of Lobo's daughter in-law? I can't see any situation down the road where that would put Grobe in an uncomfortable situation if he had to fire Lobo. It certainly doesn't make it any more uncomfortable than the fact that they are lifelong friends.

Interesting this thread seems to be based on an exhibition bowl game as the defining moment for these coaches.

False, this is based on nearly a decade of piss poor offensive performance while Billings has moved around and done everything asked of him.

Is it not Grobe's son engaged to Lobo's sister? Or did I read that wrong?

If I did, I apologize. And like I said, this is a non-issue to me other than the fact that it's STRAIGHT OUT OF COMEDY CENTRAL.

The hilarious part about the whole thing is that everyone has been speculating that Lobo has compromising pictures of Grobe and following the Grobe/Wellman duo letting the best assistant coach on the team go it comes out that GROBE AND FUCKING LOBO ARE IN-LAWS.

Because one thing I know is that everyone LOVES their in-laws. :eek:

I get that it's not a great situation, but what is Jim Grobe supposed to say when his son is into Lobo's wife's sister (and honestly, is that really that close of a connection??)? Is he supposed to tell him that he is forbidden to date her? Is Lobo supposed to resign because of this (his coaching aside)?

How would you suggest this situation be handled? I bet you would be pretty pissed if your parents tried to tell you that you couldn't date someone that you really liked because they were related to your parent's boss' wife.

That's a pretty weak family connection. Grobe's son is marrying the sister of Lobo's daughter in-law? I can't see any situation down the road where that would put Grobe in an uncomfortable situation if he had to fire Lobo. It certainly doesn't make it any more uncomfortable than the fact that they are lifelong friends.

No. Grobe's son is marrying Lobo's sister-in-law. The sister of Lobo's wife.

2010 ranks: Offense 108/Defense 101
2011 ranks: Offense 79/Defense 73

I consider that inconclusive evidence Lobo improved the O drastically more than Billings improved the D this year. Especially when we have way more of a track record with Lobotzke, and he has only once directed an offense that finished better than 68th in the country

No. Grobe's son is marrying Lobo's sister-in-law. The sister of Lobo's wife.

Hmm okay well that's more of a tenuous connection than I thought, but in all honesty I was just using that as hilarious fodder while attempting to address the bigger point:

Everything that Billings has been asked to do, he has done. Meanwhile Lobo has gotten a free pass from Grobe to frolic around and do whatever he damn well pleases: You wanna coach the O-line GO AHEAD BUDDY, you wanna coach the tight ends PLEASE GO AHEAD MAN YOU'RE AWESOME11111, YOU SHOULD BE THE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR MANNNNN11111 YEAHHHHHH1111.

It's absurd. And then Billings gets fired when Grobe is asked to do something about the staff? Grobe and Wellman have lost their fucking minds

Back