• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WELLMAN AND THE CONTINUOUS SLIDE IN THE DIRECTOR'S CUP STANDINGS

memphisslim

Reaction score
Ever since the 2006-07 season, Wake Forest's ranking in the national Director's Cup standings has continued to fall. So has Ron Wellman's rank as athletic director at Wake Forest.

According to the National Assoc. of Collegiate Directors of Athletics' website (NACDA), Wake's high water mark was in 2006-07 when we came in 23rd out of all schools in Division 1, comprised of about 280 schools. This was the first and only time that we had cracked the top 25 school rankings, and I recall that Wellman much ballyhooed the fact. Skip was alive then, we had won the ACC championship in football, gone to the Orange Bowl, played in the mens' College Cup in soccer and won the national championship the next year, played for the national championship in field hockey--it seemed liked Wellman could do no wrong.

The Director's Cup is the standard by which a school's overall athletic program is judged and includes the Olympic sports such as soccer, golf, tennis, field hockey, baseball, track and field, volleyball, in which Wake has a varsity team comprising one of 16 varsity teams at Wake, including football and mens' basketball. UNC-CH and Duke usually rank high in the standings. Stanford has won 18 straight years.

In 2007-08, we slid to 45; 2008-09, we climbled back to 37; 2009-10, dropped down to 53; 2010-11, fell further to 74; then last year, in Bz-like fashion, we hit 92, which was the lowest rank that I could find for any ACC school. There may have been one or two lower, but I didn't see it.

Wellman's crowing has ended about the ranking. I didn't even notice, because I was distracted by Bz and the construction of the tennis facility, and our losing season in football, and not getting a bowl.

But the losing goes into the lower ranking, and the building of the tennis facility, while a good thing, just distracts us from the fact that we are on a slide and Wellman is driving the sled, with Bz as his lead reindeer, to stay in the season.

This is the new culture.

Back