• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Feeling Great about [Redacted] (FML)

It does seem weird that he was never this supportive of Skip or Dino (Odom was before my time).

Good point. But he never had to be. Their records were enough to keep the wolves at bay. The Bz situation is either blind loyalty or years of pats on the back have led to insufferable arrogance.

Coaches Prosser, Gaudio or Odom never created such a furor across the majority of the fanbase, so Wellman was able to keep his distance. Yes, we had our Odom wars, and battles regarding Prosser and Gaudio, but at worst it was just a fanbase bickering among themselves. This is the first time Wellman has had to deal with a united fanbase saying "WTF?"

Who in the hell is our PR guy!?!?

doofus_md.gif

I don't think winning with Coach [Redacted] will be enough to get me back as a fan. I think it is beyond that now.

That interview transcript was a painful read.

Going to tweet my thanks to Brennan again.

What is RW's email address? I have a simple, respectful question I'd like to ask him: Exactly how long does [Redacted] have to turn this thing around? How long is "improvement in practice" sufficient over actually beating just one half-decent team? Are we going to be hearing the same excuses in Year 5? Will RW then be saying that [Redacted]'s first full recruiting class wasn't until his fourth year, and we have to wait until those guys are seniors? OK, that's more than one question, I got carried away.

Why even do the interview if he was just going to lie through the entire thing? My two favorite lies (ie the ones that tempted me most to drive down from PA and kick him in the balls):
- December crowds. I was there during Prosser's first four years, and while December crowds obviously lag slightly, it was never this much. Fuck RW for claiming that, and props to Dan for calling him out on it.
- Keeping the staff. From everything I've ever read, this was a blatant lie. If it was not a lie, then there goes the top excuse people are giving for RW having hired Bz's sorry ass.

Props to Dan for going hard after him. The answers themselves are incredibly depressing though.

Yes to this. Dan really asked the types of questions we would want asked. Wellman's answers were obviously not what we wanted to hear.

So Wellman remembers when he first arrived at Wake how poorly attended the games were in December- and now, after 20 years of success we have reverted back to that time, and he's okay with that?

What is RW's email address? I have a simple, respectful question I'd like to ask him: Exactly how long does [Redacted] have to turn this thing around? How long is "improvement in practice" sufficient over actually beating just one half-decent team? Are we going to be hearing the same excuses in Year 5? Will RW then be saying that [Redacted]'s first full recruiting class wasn't until his fourth year, and we have to wait until those guys are seniors? OK, that's more than one question, I got carried away.

Why even do the interview if he was just going to lie through the entire thing? My two favorite lies (ie the ones that tempted me most to drive down from PA and kick him in the balls):
- December crowds. I was there during Prosser's first four years, and while December crowds obviously lag slightly, it was never this much. Fuck RW for claiming that, and props to Dan for calling him out on it.
- Keeping the staff. From everything I've ever read, this was a blatant lie. If it was not a lie, then there goes the top excuse people are giving for RW having hired Bz's sorry ass.

wellmanr

have fun with that.

So, this is what the Mayans predicted? Based on the positive nature of that interview, I expect a Bz contract extension this Friday, 12/21.

Last edited:
Dan grew some balls after years of coddling mediocrity. Good for him.

Not much to say that hasn't been said already. The entire athletic department needs a reboot.

I will admit to checking out on basketball and football already, but RW is delusional to think winning cures all. Arrogance and stubborness will not be overcome very easily - and coaching/admin changes are the only way it will even have a chance. Supporting our teams with pride has been a Wake Forest trait for decades. It is an "essential", so to speak. Winning is very important, but to suggest it cures all ills is another example of supreme arrogance - and sells all of us (very) short on caring about the traditions and character of the University. I guarantee Wellman was confident this Q&A would stop the dissention and get folks excited. How sad....

Back