• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman's endgame?

thedeacfan

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
Is Ron trying to position himself as the "King of Culture" who is the right man to remake the NCAA? If this is the case, he has sold Wake Forest athletics down the river just to advance his career.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab-...mert-becomes-final-four-piñata-221627831.html

Key quote:
"And there was a testy exchange with Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports, who in February called for Emmert to resign after the NCAA acknowledged the Miami investigation fiasco. 'I'm still standing,' Emmert said to Dodd as he left the podium. 'I know you're disappointed.' Plenty of people are disappointed by that fact. Emmert wins the prize as the most embattled NCAA president in the 62-year history of the position."

I hope that the NCAA wants a leader who has actual experience at WINNING "the right way". Ron Wellman is certainly NOT QUALIFIED if winning has to be part of the equation. Maybe that's why he hired Buzz. He sees himself in Buzz and so identifies Buzz's failures with his own history of losing.

You're reading way too much into this. Wellman is simply a piss-poor evaluator of talent and a horrible communicator with his constituents. It's really just that simple.

With a competent university president, he would have been fired two years ago.

Enjoy the summer!

One of the few ways that I could imagine the NCAA becoming even more incompetent is by having Wellman head it.

Well if Wellman did run the NCAA every team could openly cheat because he'd hire investigators who investigate the right way and won't sacrifice perceived "values" to actually get to the bottom of various teams' cheating practices.

Well if Wellman did run the NCAA every team could openly cheat because he'd hire investigators who investigate the right way and won't sacrifice perceived "values" to actually get to the bottom of various teams' cheating practices.

Every team could openly cheat under his watch and then he'll hire his buddy to clean things up years later.

I think Wellman is the same age as Swofford, maybe a little older.

Wellman is setting up the expectations for his NCAA reign based on his experience with Grobe

If that is his true "end-game," it's actually a pretty damn smart approach...with regards to himself and no one else on the planet.

Back