• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at SYRACUSE, Saturday 3:30 ESPN2

Can we get back to football where we discuss the below average QB that runs the Syracuse attack. And the fact his best receiver quit because he knew that fact.

You sound a little nervous to me. If I’m being honest.

I’ve been to Dinosaur BBQ and it’s good and I don’t mean to take away from it or the recommendation but I did get a laugh out of the New Yorker recommending to the North Carolinian that his first stop should be a BBQ place.

I only recommend it because people from the south sometimes say it’s great. But I hear ya

Last edited:
Cuse - how do Syracuse fans remember Jim Brown as a lacrosse player?

He is in the NFL Hall of Fame (duh) and also the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame.

Got any stories you can share about his Lax or FB prowess?

Thx.

How do Louisville and Syracuse compare in the passing game?

Louisville's passing game is better

but the comment was that WF's front 7 or 8 would shut down Syracuse's run game. That won't happen. WF's front 7, with Miles Fox, allowed ODU to run for 74 yards in the first quarter. ODU's pass game is terrible.

Let's all talk about the vaunted Rush game of Syracuse. Pretty sure Wake has outrushed them this year. And they can't pass.

Let's all talk about the vaunted Rush game of Syracuse. Pretty sure Wake has outrushed them this year. And they can't pass.

WF is averaging 4.2 yards per carry and has 930 total rush yards through 5 games

Cuse is averaging 5.3 yards per carry and has 1,103 total rush yards through 5 games

^ like for real i don't get it. they just lost to a terrible, winless FSU team that we destroyed? is this just a LOWF thing?

I think it's two things. First, I doubt any pundit thinks Wake will go unbeaten in the ACC and it's a tough road game. Classic spot for a letdown. Second, even though Wake has fielded solid teams under Clawson, the common thread has been winning despite a lack of athleticism and depth. Offense leans on some gimmicks, defense is bend-don't-break, special teams suspect. Essentially it's like seeing a roulette board with 5 blacks in a row and just betting red until you win.

I'm sure myself and most fans recognize that this certainly looks to be a different kind of team. No Fox, no Greer, still undefeated with depth across the d-line. Depth at RB. Rock solid special teams. Elite FG kicker. Multiple dynamic receivers. Short of depth behind Hartman, we seem to be strong across the board. Sure, we just saw Louisville put some points on us - but not only is their QB good, he threw the ball incredibly well last week. He was hitting back-shoulder throws on the run, 25 yard crossing routes, etc. Syracuse scored 7 points against Rutgers. And while I'm sure their defense is good, lauding their performance against Liberty, when Liberty scored 21 against Troy and 21 against Syracuse... That screams that folks are just looking for reasons to pick against Wake on the road because historically this is a game we lose.

Should be a good game, still think we should win. First take from Vegas was double digits. Focus on that if you're nervous.

WF is averaging 4.2 yards per carry and has 930 total rush yards through 5 games

Cuse is averaging 5.3 yards per carry and has 1,103 total rush yards through 5 games

Hey don’t get in the way of Mack’s cool story line!

I think it's two things. First, I doubt any pundit thinks Wake will go unbeaten in the ACC and it's a tough road game. Classic spot for a letdown. Second, even though Wake has fielded solid teams under Clawson, the common thread has been winning despite a lack of athleticism and depth. Offense leans on some gimmicks, defense is bend-don't-break, special teams suspect. Essentially it's like seeing a roulette board with 5 blacks in a row and just betting red until you win.

I'm sure myself and most fans recognize that this certainly looks to be a different kind of team. No Fox, no Greer, still undefeated with depth across the d-line. Depth at RB. Rock solid special teams. Elite FG kicker. Multiple dynamic receivers. Short of depth behind Hartman, we seem to be strong across the board. Sure, we just saw Louisville put some points on us - but not only is their QB good, he threw the ball incredibly well last week. He was hitting back-shoulder throws on the run, 25 yard crossing routes, etc. Syracuse scored 7 points against Rutgers. And while I'm sure their defense is good, lauding their performance against Liberty, when Liberty scored 21 against Troy and 21 against Syracuse... That screams that folks are just looking for reasons to pick against Wake on the road because historically this is a game we lose.

Should be a good game, still think we should win. First take from Vegas was double digits. Focus on that if you're nervous.

I agree with all of this. Louisville is really good. Their speed is legit. Looking forward to Louisville vs. UVA.

I’ve got a feeling this team is in fact different. I don’t see any let up at all. Clawsen headed back to NY for two games in a row is his turf. He knows these teams. Cuse is always tough in the dome but Wake is better. Then we have a week off to get healthy and prepare for Army’s option. We did a good job staying in our lanes vs. Cunningham. Then we bitch Duke at home because I don’t see any let down vs. them.

8-0 with 4 games left to play for a championship.

Compared to the rest of the ACC, I think we have an above-average defense and one of the top 3 offenses. Our defensive stats will always be skewed by the fact that we play so fast on offense that our opponents will have more possessions, and logically higher stats. We have the 7th fastest pace of play in the country. Notably, UVA is 6th and Louisville is 19th. So there have been some track meets that skew the stats even further. Syracuse comes in at 103.

We have played a tougher schedule than Syracuse. Let's call ODU/Norfolk St. and Ohio/Albany even. We've beaten FSU, @UVA, and Louisville. They've beaten a decent Liberty team and lost to Rutgers and @FSU. Against a tougher schedule, we have given up 18.2 points per game, and they have given up 20.8. They are dramatically better in yards per game, at only 285 compared to our 390. However, we gave up 522 to Louisville and 506 to UVA, and you'd expect higher numbers given the pace of play.

The more I look at the numbers, I'm less worried about the Syracuse defense stopping us and more worried about their offense. I like Shrader and Tucker appears to be excellent. I expect Tucker to get his 100 yards or so, and I expect Shrader to make some plays like Cunningham did. But he's not Cunningham or Armstrong and their offense doesn't have weapons like either of those offenses.

I see Wake winning 38-24.

https://theathletic.com/2873131/202...rticle_source=search&search_query=wake forest

a--This week’s Upset Special: No. 19 Wake Forest (-6) at Syracuse, 3:30 p.m., ESPN2
Unbeknownst to anyone outside of central New York, 3-2 Syracuse boasts the nation’s No. 18 defense (4.5 YPP). Two weeks ago at the Carrier Dome, they knocked off Liberty and its projected first-round QB Malik Willis. Sam Hartman and the Demon Deacons are potent, but hardly unbeatable.

Syracuse 30, Wake Forest 27
Pick: Syracuse +6

b--This week’s Upset Special: No. 19 Wake Forest (-6) at Syracuse, 3:30 p.m., ESPN2
Cuse just lost to winless FSU and Wake’s undefeated at 5-0, and yet here we are, seeing visions of Dino Babers delivering another rousing locker room celebration postgame after a big upset. Babers’ run game is legitimate, having rushed for 225 yards or more in four of five games, and Wake is coming off a game where it allowed over 200 against Louisville.

Syracuse 23, Wake Forest 21
Pick: Syracuse +6

this was literally the first time i have heard someone talk about liberty being a "knock off." If we played Liberty at home i'd expect to beat them soundly, as we always have.

the Albany win has inflated a lot of Cuse numbers offensively and defensively

You make my point. It's close enough and you got no passing game.

Compared to the rest of the ACC, I think we have an above-average defense and one of the top 3 offenses. Our defensive stats will always be skewed by the fact that we play so fast on offense that our opponents will have more possessions, and logically higher stats. We have the 7th fastest pace of play in the country. Notably, UVA is 6th and Louisville is 19th. So there have been some track meets that skew the stats even further. Syracuse comes in at 103.

We have played a tougher schedule than Syracuse. Let's call ODU/Norfolk St. and Ohio/Albany even. We've beaten FSU, @UVA, and Louisville. They've beaten a decent Liberty team and lost to Rutgers and @FSU. Against a tougher schedule, we have given up 18.2 points per game, and they have given up 20.8. They are dramatically better in yards per game, at only 285 compared to our 390. However, we gave up 522 to Louisville and 506 to UVA, and you'd expect higher numbers given the pace of play.

The more I look at the numbers, I'm less worried about the Syracuse defense stopping us and more worried about their offense. I like Shrader and Tucker appears to be excellent. I expect Tucker to get his 100 yards or so, and I expect Shrader to make some plays like Cunningham did. But he's not Cunningham or Armstrong and their offense doesn't have weapons like either of those offenses.

I see Wake winning 38-24.
Schrader is not a good QB. I'd be shocked to lose to him.

Back