• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

Apolgize if this was already covered in a previous post on this thread, but since COVID, WF has started every season with a couple of home weekend series against a group of middling midwest and/or northeastern teams (this year, WF opens with Fordham, Illinois and Akron). Can't remember where Walter said this, but in 2025 and 2026 WF will play in out of town early season marqee events. IIRC, the 2026 event will be played where the Astros play (Minute Maid Park). Those series usually involve SEC and Big 12 teams. Essentially, like the college football kickoff classic, but for college baseball.

Here is a summary of the 2024 Houston event set for the beginning of March:

The 24th Annual Astros Foundation College Classic returns to Minute Maid Park from March 1-3, 2024 and this year’s lineup is stacked. LSU, Texas, Texas State, University of Houston, the University of Louisiana – Lafayette, and Vanderbilt will take the field for the nine-game tournament. The Cougars and Bobcats kick the tournament off followed by Vandy and the Ragin’ Cajuns. The Texas Longhorns and LSU Tigers headline the 3-day tournament at 7:05 pm Friday night.
Why? Because we are motherfucking big time that's why!

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

I like B, but it isn't my show. A would also be fine. Anything more gets messy.

Last year, WF announced the roster a day or two before the opener. The issue is that WF has more players than the NCAA limit. Makes sense for the Deacs to wait until as late as possible in case an injury knocks someone off the roster.

Let's have a baseball contest. Each is worth 1 point, except as noted in 15. All answers are pre-Omaha. First prize is $50 of Wake jello shots opening weekend in Omaha. If you cannot claim your prize, I will think about that. If Wake does not make it, well, Wake is going to make it. Again, this will include all regular season, ACC tournament, regional, and super regional games. I will accept entries until the first pitch opening game. You can reply here or send me a PM.

1. Team ERA. Over or under 3.35.
2. Home runs hit by Wake. Over or under 125.
3. Runs scored by Wake. Over or under 580.
4. Marek Houston’s on base percentage. Over or under .459%.
5. Wake’s team on base percentage. Over or under .425%.
6. Wake’s team slugging percentage. Over or under .530%.
7. Wake’s total stolen bases. Over or under 50.
8. Wake’s total sacrifice bunts. Over or under 27.
9. Jake Reinisch’s OPS. Over or under .985%.
10. Team wins. Over or under 47.
11. Higher OPS, Katz or Winnay.
12. Freshman with most at bats on the team.
13. Wake player with 2nd most home runs.
14. Pitcher with the 4th most wins on the team.
15. Pick 8 teams to make Omaha. Each correct answer is worth half a point.

Tiebreaker: How many strikeouts will Burns record this year?

Let's have a baseball contest. Each is worth 1 point, except as noted in 15. All answers are pre-Omaha. First prize is $50 of Wake jello shots opening weekend in Omaha. If you cannot claim your prize, I will think about that. If Wake does not make it, well, Wake is going to make it. Again, this will include all regular season, ACC tournament, regional, and super regional games. I will accept entries until the first pitch opening game. You can reply here or send me a PM.

1. Team ERA. Over or under 3.35.
2. Home runs hit by Wake. Over or under 125.
3. Runs scored by Wake. Over or under 580.
4. Marek Houston’s on base percentage. Over or under .459%.
5. Wake’s team on base percentage. Over or under .425%.
6. Wake’s team slugging percentage. Over or under .530%.
7. Wake’s total stolen bases. Over or under 50.
8. Wake’s total sacrifice bunts. Over or under 27.
9. Jake Reinisch’s OPS. Over or under .985%.
10. Team wins. Over or under 47.
11. Higher OPS, Katz or Winnay.
12. Freshman with most at bats on the team.
13. Wake player with 2nd most home runs.
14. Pitcher with the 4th most wins on the team.
15. Pick 8 teams to make Omaha. Each correct answer is worth half a point.

Tiebreaker: How many strikeouts will Burns record this year?
I love that I saw this right after I saw your post about not having anything to do at work

7 days until Wake Forest baseball.

7: team statistic categories WF led D1 in last season. (#1 out of 295).

W/L % : .818
WHIP: 1.05
ERA: 2.83
K/9: 12.1
K/BB: 4.26
BB: 424
Hits Allowed/9: 6.59

OK GUYS important decision we need to make, overall @Pilchard gets to choose.

how do we handle game threads for the season:

Option A: One thread for the entire year
Option B: One thread per week (weekend series + weekday games) + one season-long thread
Option C: One thread per weekend series + one ongoing thread for all mid-week games + one season-long thread
Option D: One thread per opponent + one season-long thread
Option E: One thread per game
Option F: Something else

I like Option C personally
How about something between B/C/D? This ongoing thread and individual threads for the weekend series?

OK, right now I count 10 votes for one megathread and 12 votes for the multiple threads options (I didn't count @TheIshThatSaved WakeForest).

As a compromise, I like what IaT and Ph have suggested.

I like one season long thread, plus a game thread for each weekend opponent, no need for a separate midweek thread, that can be rolled into the season long thread.
How about something between B/C/D? This ongoing thread and individual threads for the weekend series?

The ongoing thread would keep the CT feel. The weekend threads provides more accessibility, organization, keeps the thread from getting too big and should actually help contain some of the usual game thread misery (that will be inevitable this year with the expectations and hype)

Also if at any point we want to nix the series threads by popular decision, we can stop posting the weekend series threads and collapse everything back to one.

I will note for folks worried about a jinx that 1/ we didn't have an offseason thread last year and 2/ we eventually didn't win the CWS. The jinx die has been cast. And also, as Tom Walter said, last year was amazing but Team 110 needs to find it's own unique identity.

Last edited:
I guess someone doesn’t believe in a jinx. We now know who washes their underwear after every game.

Back