• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

the Reds AAA affiliate is playing in Durham in mid September (weirdly a six game series 9/12-9/17). Is it possible Rhett would be on that roster?
Pretty unlikely. He’ll probably either finish in AA (at the highest) or skip AAA straight up to MLB if the Reds want to rush him up.

the Reds AAA affiliate is playing in Durham in mid September (weirdly a six game series 9/12-9/17). Is it possible Rhett would be on that roster?

i doubt it. i think there’s a pretty good chance he doesn’t pitch in the minors this year at all given he’s already pitched a bunch of innings, but even if he does they will probably shut him down by september.

So two dumbasses on MLB Network think Dollander is better than Rhett. Wish I could bet on which one will have a better career.
I used to hate watch the draft every year just to see what stupid shit Harold Reynolds would say

It always seemed like Jonathan Mayo was slowly losing his mind being surrounded by people who knew jack shit about prospect development

glad to see their product hasn't improved

All the minor leagues seem to be doing the same thing-Richmond's minor league team has every series that looks like this. Think the minors are cutting costs and this is a way to save travel expenses.

All the minor leagues seem to be doing the same thing-Richmond's minor league team has every series that looks like this. Think the minors are cutting costs and this is a way to save travel expenses.
Yep. This is a Covid holdover that they realized just made sense. It’s also why the CWS could easily be held at minor league parks because they can be open for 2 weeks at a time if a team has back to back road series.

Yep. This is a Covid holdover that they realized just made sense. It’s also why the CWS could easily be held at minor league parks because they can be open for 2 weeks at a time if a team has back to back road series.
But there’s only a handful of minor league parks with a seating capacity over 12,000. You’re getting over 25,000 in Omaha.

They can easily use MLB parks. Because every time a team in the East goes West, its for 3 series. Which, including travel is 10-13 days. I think with the popularity rising every year, its going to start rotating once that ridiculous contract is finished. There is too much money left on the table staying in Omaha. If the CWS was in Atlanta this year, it would have sold out every game because of which teams were in it.

They can easily use MLB parks. Because every time a team in the East goes West, its for 3 series. Which, including travel is 10-13 days. I think with the popularity rising every year, its going to start rotating once that ridiculous contract is finished. There is too much money left on the table staying in Omaha. If the CWS was in Atlanta this year, it would have sold out every game because of which teams were in it.
Unfortunately, that contract goes through 2035.

But with the CWS being an 11 day event (Friday to the following Monday), you could send a team on a three series roadie. Where it might get complicated is getting the stadium setup for CWS stuff, as well as giving players time to check the stadium out before playing, which would really mean a four series roadie, which I don't think is a common theme, and I'm not sure if MLBPA would sign up for that.

But agree, getting it out of Omaha would only be a positive. You can get airline flights into hub cities versus a small spoke like Omaha, you can actually have a hotel base where you're not spending $600+/night, and you can get 40k+ people in the park.

I am an advocate for Omaha. There’s a lot of weekday afternoon games in the CWS. Do we really think 40,000 plus will show up for those games? If so, I might change my mind.

Wake may have had the second biggest following in Omaha outside of LSU. LSU dominated attendance. What if LSU does not make it?

I loved Omaha. When Wake makes a final four I will be there having the time of my life, but I have no desire to go to a final four in person again otherwise. Watching college basketball in an NFL stadium is a bad product. I would not want to see the CWS turning into a version of that.

I am an advocate for Omaha. There’s a lot of weekday afternoon games in the CWS. Do we really think 40,000 plus will show up for those games? If so, I might change my mind.

Wake may have had the second biggest following in Omaha outside of LSU. LSU dominated attendance. What if LSU does not make it?

I loved Omaha. When Wake makes a final four I will be there having the time of my life, but I have no desire to go to a final four in person again otherwise. Watching college basketball in an NFL stadium is a bad product. I would not want to see the CWS turning into a version of that.
So true. Moving the CWS out of Omaha would be like moving the ACC basketball tourney away from Greensboro - seems like a good idea and there are valid reasons for it but nowhere else will embrace the tourney in the same way. Actually, moving the CWS away from Omaha would be even worse, I think.

Back