• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

So, how do these contracts work? Each pick appears to have a pre-set value. Is that the overall contract value for the player drafted there? So Lee for example at pick #170, it says the value is $342k. Is that guaranteed money? Over how many years? I just am not familiar with how this works...

ooh boy, i'll do my best:

Each pick in the top 10 rounds has that pre-set "slot value" assigned, but there is no guarantee the drafted player gets it. The purpose of the pre-assigned value is mostly to calculate how much money a team has to spend on ALL it's draft picks. For example, the Pirates have a total bonus pool of $16,185,700, which is the highest of any team (mostly because they have the highest picks that have the highest slot values). The Phillies only have $5,185,500 because they pick towards the end and lost some picks for signing free agents.

That said, the Pirates could spend $16 million on one player and theoretically sign the rest of their picks a $10k bonus -- how you distribute the money is up to the club (obviously both the team and player need to both agree)

Caveat: if a team doesn't sign one of their top 10 round picks, they lose the money from their bonus pool. That's why top 10 round picks almost always sign -- they've usually already agreed to terms prior to the team drafting them.

So if the slot value for Bennett Lee is $342k, they could theoretically have come to terms where they only pay him a $200k bonus and use that savings ($142k) for other picks. You will sometimes see seniors with no leverage get taken in the first 10 rounds and sign for very small bonuses (e.g. $10k) for this reason -- Parker Dunshee and Ben Breazeale were top 10 picks like this, Pierce Bennett might be a fit this year.

After the top 10 rounds, the rules change a bit. You can give a bonus up to $125k with no penalty, but there's no slot value -- so no advantage for signing a player underslot, and no penalty for not signing a player. That said, you will sometimes see guys taken after the top 10 rounds sign for big deals using money saved from the first 10 picks -- Isaiah Lowe is one example from last year, who signed a big overslot deal (~$400k) despite being drafted in the 11th round.

Last edited:
Thank goodness some guys aren’t draft eligible or we may not be able to field a team next year. Lol
Yeah I feel like a lot of the transfer stuff happens post draft for this reason.

You dont really know about your roster until you know who gets drafted and which incoming freshmen decide to skip college altogether

Seeing all of these WF baseball players go early is awesome, goes to show how strong 2023 Wake Forest baseball was and is on par with what Bama football fans go through in the NFL draft. However, impossible to not recognize the talent drain of losing so many elite players from our roster. We shall see if WF baseball simply reloads now.

Last edited:
Walter said top 5 rounds was probably the line for Hawke, but the fact he got drafted means he's going to sign. Either the Guardians are ponying up a bit to meet his number, Walter's assessment was wrong or his advisor thinks they can do some hardball negotiating and threaten to go back to school (not likely, advisors usually don't want to jeopardize their credibility)

Tommy gone
Agreed. Cleveland doesn't draft him in the 6th round without already determining that Tommy will go for a number that Cleveland is ready to offer at that draft slot. Before the draft MLB area scouts for each team to talk to player/reps and to find out what it will take for them to sign. This isn't guess work. If Tommy gave Cleveland a number that doesn't work for a sixth round pick, Cleveland drafts someone else. There is a reason more than 99% of the players drafted in the first 10 rounds last year signed.

Was just looking randomly at farm teams of those who drafted Wake guys and for those in NC in addition to Keener and White Sox having high A and single A teams in Winston and Kannapolis it looks like the Brewers have a single A team Carolina Mudcats in Zebulon outside Raleigh where Brock could possibly see a little time this season I guess. Not sure what the normal progression is these days now that they restructured and eliminated some layers in the minor league system.

So I guess Justin Johnson and Pierce Bennett are the only 2 left as possibilities to come back?

Alabama outfielder Caden Rose and I believe #9 hitter that hit 2 homers in game 1 against Wake just picked in round 7…..can’t recall if he hit both off Lowder or 1 off Sullivan? I think 1 off each.

Either way just looked and he was nowhere to be found on the pre draft MLB top 250 tracker….and nowhere to be found on the Prospects Live top 500 list. Sure makes you wonder if that game alone against 2 top tier pitchers could have been enough to catch a scout‘s eye and get him drafted.

Maybe Costello or Cecere if we have the money to get them to go to school for free?
Tommy being for sure gone probably increases the likelihood we get one of these guys back. Tommy was almost certainly part of the scholarship math for next year in case he returned.

Would be awesome if all 4 come back, especially since we currently have no outfielders

Back