• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Game 16: UVA @ LJVM -- Saturday 2 pm - ESPN2

I completely get the low FTA complaints for Wake today, it’s a bit strange in retrospect.

However, watching the game live I didn’t feel as though there were many clear shooting fouls against UVA that went uncalled. About 90 non-shooting fouls though, mostly in the first half
Agreed on the not many shooting fouls that went uncalled, but the 90 non-shooting fouls would have gotten us to the bonus if called.

Unfortunately that was a home game for us or it would have been the big win we needed. Our best road wins that year were breaking our long losing streaks at UVA (who was an NIT team), and GT (who sucked) and the good win at VT in early December.
My fault. I so remembered that as a game at the DD 🤦🏼‍♀️

General thoughts:

1. Wake is pretty good...really good at home
2. Wake athleticism is about as good as its ever been
3. Wake worked the Iso to perfection against an elite D, just wore it down
4. UVA isn't very good. D is still elite. Offense is about as bad as you can be with that level of talent
5. Wake is a tournament team and just needs to round out the resume, but playing the way we have, we will do it
6. Sallis is first team All-ACC
7. Reid will be close to first team All-ACC Defense - depends on how heavy they weight conference play since obviously he missed a lot of the year.
8. Forbes is damn good.
9. We retain almost everybody from this team and we're a top 20 team to start the year in 2025.

Torvik had Wake's game score at the max 99 today. Second 99 of the year after the Virginia Tech game.

Meet Virginia.

The hand checks for the entire team are off the chart.

I cannot get over how bad UVA was offensively. It wasn't even that they played poorly (they did) but they aren't set up for success. Their "good looks" are 17 footers which is just a horrible strategy.
i don’t think you can overstate the impact Reid has on our D and especially against a shorter team like UVA. 5 blocks?! I don’t think uvas O is really geared for a ton of mid range shots from their big men but they quickly realized they weren’t going to get much inside and defaulted to the mid range shot When our guards were able to force their guards to pass to big men. No Reid and I have little doubt like earlier games against Utah and lsu that uva would have gone inside more and been much more successful on O and made it a closer game. Not to mention very few O rebounds as we out rebounded them 40-27 and Carr not playing the 5 allows him to do great work on the boards with 12 today.

9. We retain almost everybody from this team and we're a top 20 team to start the year in 2025.
Was talking about this with a buddy at the game. Even if we lose Sallis/Carr/Monsanto, we’ll be getting Juke and at least one or two transfers (maybe the mystery ACC big man that’s been rumored?), another year of development for Boopie and Reid and we could explode.

Torvik had Wake's game score at the max 99 today. Second 99 of the year after the Virginia Tech game.

Meet Virginia.
What does a max 99 score mean? Clearly Wake didn't play a perfect game today.

Was talking about this with a buddy at the game. Even if we lose Sallis/Carr/Monsanto, we’ll be getting Juke and at least one or two transfers (maybe the mystery ACC big man that’s been rumored?), another year of development for Boopie and Reid and we could explode.

Rumored where?

What does a max 99 score mean? Clearly Wake didn't play a perfect game today.
99 means it's the performance against a team's rank where UVA was that you'd expect of a team ranked .99 for the season by Torvik's formula. In this case, the top ranked current team in the country (Houston at .98) you would not "expect" pre game to perform the way Wake did against UVA or VT.

TLDR; we well exceeded expectations, playing about as well as any college team would be projected to play against a team of UVA's caliber.

For comparison, Houston's only game all year lower than a 93 was their last road game against Iowa State where they were a 78. Meaning that they about the level of the 65th ranked team would be expected to performm.

General thoughts:

1. Wake is pretty good...really good at home
2. Wake athleticism is about as good as its ever been
3. Wake worked the Iso to perfection against an elite D, just wore it down
4. UVA isn't very good. D is still elite. Offense is about as bad as you can be with that level of talent
5. Wake is a tournament team and just needs to round out the resume, but playing the way we have, we will do it
6. Sallis is first team All-ACC
7. Reid will be close to first team All-ACC Defense - depends on how heavy they weight conference play since obviously he missed a lot of the year.
8. Forbes is damn good.
Go on.... 8===============>

Just got home. Great crowd. Only a few chances to really get into it since it was a beat down from start to finish. When was the last time we held an ACC opponent under 50?

Cam had an off day. If he was on today, we win by 30. And yes, Virginia is an awful offensive team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back