• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Marching Band

I'm a former member and would agree our band looks pretty lame right now. I suppose I'm allowed to say that. I had some friends ask a few weeks ago if Wake had a community band; their understanding was few Wake students did marching band so we had to ask other schools to fill in.

I can't say that I have sure fire solutions to fix the issue but leadership has to do better. Band director and athletic director included.

Okay, better leadership. I guess I’m just struggling with why the actual students who are out there playing music, for no glory, no scholarship, little class credit, etc warrant the criticism. They’re not “lame.” But hey, band’s not my thing so you guys solve this apparently pressing dilemma.

You’ve quoted this twice with different responses.

I didn’t start the thread but the fact that many of us pay a lot of money to attend games and enjoy a good Gameday experience means we get to have an opinion on this. The fact that they do not had to the Gameday experience is undeniable. Again, this is nothing against those kids. It is a problem in the AD and band leadership who are all being paid to have it add to the experience. Due to this money to do their job they are as open to criticism as any coach.

Okay, better leadership. I guess I’m just struggling with why the actual students who are out there playing music, for no glory, no scholarship, little class credit, etc warrant the criticism. They’re not “lame.” But hey, band’s not my thing so you guys solve this apparently pressing dilemma.
No one is criticizing the students who are out their busting their ass to keep the band going. But its undeniable that the band has shrunk. It's also undeniable that marching bands are a part of college football atmosphere and Wake is sorely lacking in that area right now.

I didn’t start the thread but the fact that many of us pay a lot of money to attend games and enjoy a good Gameday experience means we get to have an opinion on this. The fact that they do not had to the Gameday experience is undeniable. Again, this is nothing against those kids. It is a problem in the AD and band leadership who are all being paid to have it add to the experience. Due to this money to do their job they are as open to criticism as any coach.

I obviously meant “add” to the Gameday experience.

Yes, I quoted it again to point out that you've yet to give me these many non-WF people who think our band is a laughingstock, which is precisely what you said.

Glad we agree that it's the leadership, the people making money, who can address it, and not the students.

Just understand that when you say "the band is a laughingstock," the most natural interpretation of that criticism is that you're referring to the students playing the instruments.

Maybe WF should organize an All-Star band comprised of the best from local high schools? That would hopefully improve the band, at least in size, and increase community interest.

Yes, I quoted it again to point out that you've yet to give me these many non-WF people who think our band is a laughingstock, which is precisely what you said.

Glad we agree that it's the leadership, the people making money, who can address it, and not the students.

Just understand that when you say "the band is a laughingstock," the most natural interpretation of that criticism is that you're referring to the students playing the instruments.

I referenced a Reddit post which has been linked. I also have had many conversations about it with friends and family who bring it up. Would you like me to interview them on video and post it? I also said several times in my posts that it had nothing to do with the kids and said several times that it was leadership.

Maybe WF should organize an All-Star band comprised of the best from local high schools? That would hopefully improve the band, at least in size, and increase community interest.

Not sure how many kids would want to be in two bands. I'm sure the local high schools have good bands on their own merits.

High school bands compete on Saturdays. They practice during the week as well. So this would never work.

I referenced a Reddit post which has been linked. I also have had many conversations about it with friends and family who bring it up. Would you like me to interview them on video and post it? I also said several times in my posts that it had nothing to do with the kids and said several times that it was leadership.
Gyaos sounds like a millennial douche(tte). We had tryouts for section leaders each year I was there. If you want to change things, practice more and win the spot. Dont bitch and expect it to be handed to you.

Xennial out.

That Reddit post contained comments about the band that were by and large wake forest people, hence proving my point.

It’s clear that however the band is perceived by others is for some reason really important to you. You mentioned these friends and relatives several times. You’re frustrated that you think it’s a “laughingstock.“ If it’s any consolation, most people - we’re talking overwhelming majorities here - don’t care anything one way or the other about the Wake Forest marching band.

We were small during my time as a trumpet player in the '80's but we did have great sound. Seriously, we did breathing exercises to increase our air flow. And yes, I had ulterior motives to be in the marching band:

1. To be in the basketball pep band for every home game and all ACCT and NCAAT games. We were good.

2. To travel to away football games- went to every ACC school stadium over the years.

3. To marry the hot feature twirler!

...and not necessarily in that order. :eek:

I believe the marching band got a new leader recently. Perhaps that change, along with a new AD, will start improving things.

Perhaps admissions could be persuaded to once again provide the music department with the names of students who included "marching band" as part of their admissions credentials. I believe about 10% of the Wake student body has some history of playing musical instruments.

WF Band did get a new director this year. This year's band was slightly larger than last year's, when they actually got down to only 2 tubas. Give the new, young guy some time, and maybe some more resources, and I think he will improve it.

Great seats for basketball used to be a perk and now it's a detractor

This is why I joined the band for two years in 96-98. Duncan’s senior year was fun, but I quit when we were just ok the following season. With just mediocre basketball as the pay off, School work was too hard and my schedule in the fall was way to constricted to justify the effort and time.

Does Wake offer band scholarships like other schools do?

I was in the band all four years (I know, I know), from 78 to 82. Part of that was due to habit, as my high school band was very good and I just liked to play. Yes, it was a lot of work for little credit but it was fun. Being in band wasn't exactly a babe magnet but back then no guys went to Wake to meet girls anyway. The men outnumbered the women by about 2-to-1 in those days.

We were pretty pathetic in 78 and 79, but much larger in 80 after we went to the Tangerine Bowl in 79 and the hope was that we would go to another bowl in 80. To the school's credit, they treated the band very well at the Tangerine Bowl, and I got to meet Arnold Palmer for a few minutes at one of the events. They put us in a nice hotel, we marched at Disney World, got to eat at fancy alumni events, all that. I have no idea what they do for the band at bowl games these days.

The hoped-for bowl in 80 didn't happen, and we shrunk back quite a bit the next year. Better than 78 and 79 but not great.

As some have mentioned, one incentive to be in the band was that only marching band members could be in the basketball pep band. As your seniority increased, the chance that you would be able to play at basketball games also increased. And they took the band to all the tournament games. I recall my parents being excited seeing me on TV when they showed shots of the pep band. And, of course, the seats were courtside. I can't imagine that is much of a draw anymore.

One small idea: Do we invite the Salem College girls to be in the band? Does Salem even still exist?

Back