• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

The #19 women won today at #55 BC, 6-1. The women will host Miami and FSU this weekend.

There was a lot of back-and-forth talk between the Deacs and Heels in the match today, and after Wake won the team took a selfie in the middle of the UNC courts (it was as awesome as it sounds). The Heels will be out for blood if the teams play again in the ACC and/or NCAA tournaments.

#6 Wake plays #75 Duke in the final home match this Saturday, April 9th, at 3 PM. Duke is better than their #75 ranking - they started the year ranked 13 and then played poorly. They've played much better recently, beating NC State 5-2 Friday and then giving UVA a tough match today (they lost 4-1, but 5 matches went to 3 sets).

The bummer is that it is at the same time as the spring football game. I'll be at the tennis match, as this team is obviously very deserving of fan support. I hope the AD allows fans to sit on the side of Groves near the tennis stadium, so fans can easily go between the two events.

They should definitely move one of them to 12.

At this point they should just make it the Spring game to give deference to tennis, but from a logistics standpoint it should be tennis beforehand so people can go to that and then the Spring Game.

There was a lot of back-and-forth talk between the Deacs and Heels in the match today, and after Wake won the team took a selfie in the middle of the UNC courts (it was as awesome as it sounds). The Heels will be out for blood if the teams play again in the ACC and/or NCAA tournaments.

Had a friend there and he said the guy Romo beat was a "complete douchebag" throughout the entire match.

Had a friend there and he said the guy Romo beat was a "complete douchebag" throughout the entire match.

He was. That's not new for him, either. He was the same way when playing at Wake last year. It's who he is.

I didn't think Kelly was that bad. He's a typical Tarheel though. The one that I have never been able to stand is Brayden Schnur. He is a complete tool bag. He was almost intolerable after his match. It was a great match. I thoroughly enjoyed being there and beating them on their own courts.

This team is a legit national champion contender. Judging by Duke's performance yesterday, despite their record, they will not go down easily on Saturday.

I didn't think Kelly was that bad. He's a typical Tarheel though. The one that I have never been able to stand is Brayden Schnur. He is a complete tool bag. He was almost intolerable after his match.

He's the worst.

He was. That's not new for him, either. He was the same way when playing at Wake last year. It's who he is.

Loved how after he lost he couldn't get up and required medical treatment. I'm sure if he had won he would have been fine celebrating.

Yeah...he had an absolutely ridiculous comeback. Think he fought off like 5+ match points.

I actually like the way tennis does their rankings and would have no problem if football or basketball did the same thing. It removes preseason expectations as the season progresses and human bias. It would make schools think harder about the way they put their schedules together.

It probably is a really good system but I still have problems with the number 6 team beating the number one team at their place and dropping one in the rankings.

The major issue I have with it is that winning 4-3 is counted the same as winning 7-0.

Yeah but this is the same for every single ranking system that the NCAA uses for postseason selection in every sport. RPI doesn't take into account margin of victory either.

And I think for a lot of reasons, using margin of victory for the current college tennis system wouldn't add very much predictive value

1. After a match has been clinched (a team has gotten to four points), any matches that split sets plays a 10-point tiebreak instead of a full third set to decide the winner. These are not much more than coin-flips - it would be like counting PKs as a win in soccer (which the RPI does not).

2. All tournament-type competitions (like Kickoff Weekend and National Indoors, as well as conference tournaments) as well as some conferences, like the SEC, have a rule that all matches in progress stop when a team gets to four points. Other conferences routinely play all matches to completion. So teams that play in more competitions that stop at four points would be at a disadvantage because they could never win a match by more than four points.

Even if you were to try to put in a standard rule that all matches had to stop at four (would never happen for political reasons), there would still be a huge amount of arbitrariness involved because the final score would depend on which matches finished first. You could have a 4-0 win where the team was well on the way to winning 7-0 or a 4-0 win where the other team had match point on the three other courts when play was stopped. It's hard to see a reason to treat those the same if you care about MOV.

So long story short, with the way that tennis is, you're never going to have margin of victory taken into account under the current system. I don't think it actually makes a big difference because teams play so many matches over the course of the season, and in particular top teams play way more non-conference matches against other top teams than in other sports, so I think the chances are that the teams can adequately distinguish themselves on wins and losses and don't need MOV to do it.

Looks like Wake will drop in the rankings to #7. There is an explanation here http://collegetennistoday.blogspot.com/2016/04/45-oracleita-ranking-projections.html Wake will have several chances to move up, with matches against UVA (road) and likely UNC and/or UVA again in the ACC tourney. Even if you removed all of our losses we would only be ranked 5th, as explained in the linked article.

So the losses do matter. Weird.

Anyway, we are about to get a massive boost from Oklahoma moving up to #9 this week (we beat them twice), so next week the gap should shrink significantly as we'll have four top-10 wins as opposed to only two right now.

Back