• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU and Duke Football - Was History Made This Weekend?

TripleDeacon

Just Another Attorney
Reaction score
Is this the first time in history that both Wake Forest and Duke have started a football season 4-0? I think it is.

Probably has to be. We've never bowled in the same year so hard to believe this would've happened either

TD: I had this same question. But, if you read Peahead Walker book, it seemed that Wake and Duke were always undefeated before they faced each other, mid-season. So I would guess that happened in the 1950's, without going back and looking it up.

Some quick googling - looks like 1947, 4-0 Wake Forest faced 3-0-1 Duke - which is about the closest there is.

Last edited:
Hard to believe, but Duke was a power football program between 1930 and the early 1960s. During that time Duke won 16 Southern Conference/ACC Championships, and regularly were ranked in the top 20. In 1938 Duke finished the year #3 in country, and in 1941, Duke finished in the #2 spot. During that time, Duke played in two Rose Bowls (one was played in Durham), two Orange Bowls, a Sugar Bowl and a Cotton Bowl. So, when WF had its solid run under Peahead Walker, would think that there must have a been a year or two when both were 4-0.

Hard to believe, but Duke was a power football program between 1930 and the early 1960s. During that time Duke won 16 Southern Conference/ACC Championships, and regularly were ranked in the top 20. In 1938 Duke finished the year #3 in country, and in 1941, Duke finished in the #2 spot. During that time, Duke played in two Rose Bowls (one was played in Durham), two Orange Bowls, a Sugar Bowl and a Cotton Bowl. So, when WF had its solid run under Peahead Walker, would think that there must have a been a year or two when both were 4-0.

I thought the same, but it looks like it never happened. It's seems that even when Duke had an off year, they always found a way to beat Peahead/Wake. Great book by the way - every Deacon fan should read it.

I am hoping for an 11-0 Duke v 11-0 Wake in the season finale. And then a possible rematch the following weekend. I don't think my liver would be able to survive.

I am hoping for an 11-0 Duke v 11-0 Wake in the season finale. And then a possible rematch the following weekend. I don't think my liver would be able to survive.

Could you imagine, College Gameday in Winston-Salem for the undefeated matchup. Of course if we were both undefeated at that point we'd be playing each other again the next week in the ACC title game. Dare to dream!

Could you imagine, College Gameday in Winston-Salem for the undefeated matchup. Of course if we were both undefeated at that point we'd be playing each other again the next week in the ACC title game. Dare to dream!

and then for the national championship.

When was the last time, if ever, that an undefeated Wake team played a winless FSU team?

I doubt we've ever opened the season with FSU.

Wake beat fsu for its only win of the 1973 season on opening day. FSU went winless that year.

9-7
My first Wake game.
That was when FSU and Wake were on top of the Bottom 10

9-7
My first Wake game.
That was when FSU and Wake were on top of the Bottom 10

As i recall we had a juco cb who intercepted an fsu pitch to a rb and he waltzed in for thd score. We must have missed the PAT but i dont recall that. Chuck ramsey was the placekicker as well as punter.

As i recall we had a juco cb who intercepted an fsu pitch to a rb and he waltzed in for thd score. We must have missed the PAT but i dont recall that. Chuck ramsey was the placekicker as well as punter.

I thought we didn't take juco's?

73 season for FSU lead to Bobby Bowden for them, what did ours lead to?

Bobby deserves a lot of credit, but it was only a matter of time before FSU became a football power. If not him, somebody else would've done it. Too much talent in that state for it not to happen.

Duke's unbeaten season in jeopardy tonight. Down 17-6 to Miami late in the 3rd quarter.

Back