• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

DeacsATS

Sam "Ace" Rothstein
Reaction score
Time for wild speculation, hot takes, and (very occasionally) actual info.

Portal opened March 13th.

OPEN SCHOLARSHIPS: ZERO

Link to list of announced transfers: Verbal Commits - D1 Transfers 2023

Current Roster:
Returnees:

Damari Monsanto - SR (?)
Andrew Carr - SR (?)
Cam Hildreth - JR
Matthew Marsh - JR
Jao Ituka - RS SO (?)
Zach Keller - SO
New Players:
Aaron Clark - FR - #154 24/7; #145 On3
Parker Friedrichsen - FR - #86 24/7; #143 On3
Marqus Mitrovic Marion - FR - #204 24/7; #129 On3
Kevin "Boopie" Miller - RS SO (?) - 3/19/23 - Transfer from Central Michigan
Hunter Sallis - JR - 4/26/23 - Transfer from Gonzaga
Efton Reid - JR - 5/4/23 - Transfer from Gonzaga (& LSU)
Abramo Canka - SO - 5/18/23 - Transfer from UCLA

Moving On:
Bobi Klintman - ??? - 5/15/23
Davion Bradford - Transfer Portal - 3/15/23
Robert McCray - Transfer Portal - 3/14/23 - Jacksonville
Lucas Taylor - Transfer Portal - 3/14/23 - Georgia State
Tyree Appleby - Out of eligibility
Daivien Williamson - Out of eligibility

Starting Point (March 1st) - '23-'24 Year:
Returnees:
Davion Bradford - SR (?)
Damari Monsanto - SR (?)
Andrew Carr - SR (?)
Cam Hildreth - JR
Matthew Marsh - JR
Lucas Taylor - JR
Jao Ituka - RS SO (?)
Robert McCray - RS SO
Zach Keller - SO
Bobi Klintman - SO
Aaron Clark - FR - #120 24/7
Parker Friedrichsen - FR - #118 24/7
Marqus Mitrovic Marion - FR - Unranked (for now)

Moving On:
Tyree Appleby - Out of eligibility
Daivien Williamson - Out of eligibility

Portal Misses: (so we can be upset next year when they blow up)
Tyrese Samuel (from Seton Hall to Florida)
DJ Horne (from Arizona State to NC State)

Last edited:
When did we hear about last year's roster?

In:
Jao Ituka - Marist; 6'1" PG - 4/25/22
Andrew Carr - Delaware; 6'10" PF - 5/2/22
Tyree Appleby - Florida; 6'1" CG - 5/4/22
Davion Bradford - Kansas State; 7’0” C - 5/11/22

Out:
Carter Whitt - Transfer Portal - 3/20/22; Committed to Furman - 4/18/22
Jake LaRavia - Testing NBA Waters - 3/29/22; Staying in NBA Draft - 5/31/22
Dallas Walton - Foregoing final year - 4/11/22
Isaiah Mucius - Foregoing final year - 4/28/22

Last edited:
Most likely scenario is Lucas and Robert move on and we bring in a transfer PG and a another big

What about the year before that?

In:
Jake LaRavia - 3/16/21 - Transfer from Indiana State
Dallas Walton - 4/7/21 - Transfer from Colorado
Damari Monsanto - 4/10/21 - Transfer from ETSU
Alondes Williams - 5/21/21 - Transfer from Oklahoma
Khadim Sy - 6/7/21 - Transfer from Ole Miss

Out:
Jahcobi Neath - 3/11/21 - Transfer to Wisconsin
Emmanuel Okpomo - 3/13/21 - Transfer to Temple
Jonah Antonio - 3/16/21 - Turning Pro
Isaiah Wilkins - 3/17/21 - Transfer to Longwood
Quadry Adams - 3/17/21 - Transfer to St. Bonaventure
Ismael Massoud - 3/18/21 - Transfer to Kansas State
Jalen Johnson - 3/23/21- Transfer to Mercer
Ian Dubose - 3/23/21 - Turning Pro
Ody Oguama - 5/4/21 - Transfer to Cincinnati

Most likely scenario is Lucas and Robert move on and we bring in a transfer PG and a another big
I continually say that all evidence looks to McCray returning. He could’ve left at winter break and he wouldn’t be tweeting about Wake NIL all the time.

Bradford and Keller seem to be the most likely transfer candidates to me.

Worth mentioning that Bradford, Monsanto, Carr, and Ituka have all used their supposed one-time “free” transfer, and so in order to transfer again without sitting out a year, would need to graduate (or get a waiver or exemption)

I don’t see why a big would transfer looking at the vacuum we have inside. Far more likely to see a guard transfer. Bradford has already transferred once too. I mean maybe Forbes says let’s move on but beyond that why would a big leave

I think we'll know who, if anyone, is leaving within a week or so after the season officially concludes.

But, as in years past, I think Forbes will be patient in adding the player(s) he wants.

Adding Jake so early on that one offseason feels like an anomaly.

I’m not anticipating the pg addition until early May. If Mother’s Day comes and no pg, I’ll begin to sweat. If June comes and no pg, my fingernails will be gone, I’ll take up smoking, and my carpet will have a permanent paced path in it. Next season all comes down to an experienced fearless pg leader.

I don’t see why a big would transfer looking at the vacuum we have inside. Far more likely to see a guard transfer. Bradford has already transferred once too. I mean maybe Forbes says let’s move on but beyond that why would a big leave

I think you kind of answered your own question.

Bradford was kind of a project and results have been mixed, at best. Maybe he makes strides with another offseason, but I think Forbes understands he needs some sort of defensive presence at the 5.

Maybe Carr, Keller, and Marsh can grow into that role, but I doubt it. Carr seems better suited at the 4 with some minutes as a small ball 5. Marsh is what he is. We'll see with Keller... I think he fits best with our style of offense, but he needs to get stronger.

As an aside, it would be hilariously boring if nobody transfers and we already know our entire '23-24 roster.
It would be a nightmare to have the portal whisperer not being able to whisper.

i do think, at a minimum, there will be at least one departure. we need a PG and there is not a reliable one returning.

I’m not anticipating the pg addition until early May. If Mother’s Day comes and no pg, I’ll begin to sweat. If June comes and no pg, my fingernails will be gone, I’ll take up smoking, and my carpet will have a permanent paced path in it. Next season all comes down to an experienced fearless pg leader.

Now this, see, is fandom

I think you kind of answered your own question.

Bradford was kind of a project and results have been mixed, at best. Maybe he makes strides with another offseason, but I think Forbes understands he needs some sort of defensive presence at the 5.

Maybe Carr, Keller, and Marsh can grow into that role, but I doubt it. Carr seems better suited at the 4 with some minutes as a small ball 5. Marsh is what he is. We'll see with Keller... I think he fits best with our style of offense, but he needs to get stronger.

My biggest gripe with Forbes to date is he appears to be enamored with the idea of a stretch 5.

Who wouldn't want an athletic 5 with the ability to hit the 3, draw out opposing bigs, and unclog the lane?

Problem is those guys who can do that plus score & defend in the post as well as rebound don't grow on trees.

Need to increase the physicality across the board (especially on the low blocks) to take the next step, imo.

Marsh made some good improvement between his freshman and sophomore seasons. That was his first off season working with Wake's S&C staff because of his visa issues and concussion in 2021. He could use more lower body strength. And a heavy dose of "I am the biggest dude on the court" confidence so he plays like he is. Oh yeah, it would be great if he learned Cam's jump hook shot from 5 feet.

Good point about not getting that first summer of S&C. Marsh is big but he's not strong. That can change.

Great Thread! I recall someone posting a photo of Cam in January speculating he may be searching an NIL deal. I hope he stays with the team to finish his collegiate career but with this current slump he is in one has to wonder what he is pondering now.

Back