• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

IMHO, Ituka is still an enigma. He's been injured for two seasons. IDK if you want to keep him around to see whether the preseason flashes actually carry over or move on.

The downside of encouraging him to stay is whether or not he will stay healthy for a season and what he has after two years of not playing. Supposedly he was playable against P5 teams before being injured. IDK if I invest another scholarship year or not. Presumably Forbes and staff have more info on his rehab and capabilities.
This will be pretty harsh, but in the NIL era I don’t mind being more critical, Ituka has been a waste of a roster spot. Can’t have a guy taking a scholarship who’s played what, 4 games?

Sallis is long gone. We need to throw that money at Cam/Parker/Reid/Carr. There will be suitors for each and every one of them.
Can Reid transfer again? I assume he’s not graduating so he’s the only person that I’m basically 100% sure is returning.

Next year we should have the best team under Forbes:

Starters: Reid, Carr, Cam, Boopie, and Transfer Magic
Bench: Parker, MMM, Juke, Keller, another transfer or two

MMM will be the most improved player. Parker will one of the elite shooters in the conference once the game slows down for him some. And, for the 4th straight year, Forbes will bring in a couple excellent players from the portal.

MMM will be the most improved player. Parker will one of the elite shooters in the conference once the game slows down for him some. And, for the 4th straight year, Forbes will bring in a couple excellent players from the portal.
If we bring all those guys back and have a few spots for portal magic then one would assume we'd start the season top-25. It would be truly put up for shit up time for coach.

And we’ll also collapse for the fourth straight year. We all know it.

This will be pretty harsh, but in the NIL era I don’t mind being more critical, Ituka has been a waste of a roster spot. Can’t have a guy taking a scholarship who’s played what, 4 games?
I agree, there is no room for sentimentality in this new era. Duke is probably bringing in at least 3 5-star recruits next season, UNC has two 5 stars coming in.

Everything on the roster needs to be evaluated. Keep the guys that are or can become high-level contributors and quality ACC players - Cam, Reid, Carr, Sallis, Parker, MMM. Most of the others can go.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm open to the idea of upgrading the PG position. I think Boopie's stats can be a little misleading. He can score, but really struggles to guard at this level, and the turnovers have been an issue all season

If we bring all those guys back and have a few spots for portal magic then one would assume we'd start the season top-25. It would be truly put up for shit up time for coach.
Umm, no, we would not start the season in the top 25. Especially given that our transfers to this point have been both fantastic for us but not generally well-regarded when in the portal.

1. IMO, I think Ituka has to look for other opportunities. His knee might never be 100% after sitting for 2 seasons and how long does it take to get into ACC game shape?

2. Pretty sure Reid can't transfer again and I don't see the NBA interest. I wish he would work with an experienced big man to work on his low post offense. It is a little suspect atm.

3. Clark and Canka, why can't they get minutes? we have Juke coming in next year and you can't have 3 of the same guy (6'6" SG/SF)!

4. Keller and Marsh, I have seen more progression out of Keller and maybe a larger upside (eventually) but Marsh is a big dude. you can
t teach height! Unless we can bring in a big man with some rebounding and low post ability, we just have to stand pat.

Biggest need: PG, Boopie is a great ACC player but he is getting run down and needs a sub. Hope we can land a distributor who can get other people shots. That is also not his forte'. A true ball handler is a necessity!

one last thing, re Canka, I said it at the beginning of the season that you can't take a portal guy that will not play. There are just too many available with upside and if you take a project it should be an athletic big.

So, maybe we'll be a bubble team next year....... :p

1. IMO, I think Ituka has to look for other opportunities. His knee might never be 100% after sitting for 2 seasons and how long does it take to get into ACC game shape?

2. Pretty sure Reid can't transfer again and I don't see the NBA interest. I wish he would work with an experienced big man to work on his low post offense. It is a little suspect atm.

3. Clark and Canka, why can't they get minutes? we have Juke coming in next year and you can't have 3 of the same guy (6'6" SG/SF)!

4. Keller and Marsh, I have seen more progression out of Keller and maybe a larger upside (eventually) but Marsh is a big dude. you can
t teach height! Unless we can bring in a big man with some rebounding and low post ability, we just have to stand pat.

Biggest need: PG, Boopie is a great ACC player but he is getting run down and needs a sub. Hope we can land a distributor who can get other people shots. That is also not his forte'. A true ball handler is a necessity!
I mostly agree, with the exception of #4. We HAVE to upgrade there. There's a a reason both those guys don't get minutes (unless we are in foul trouble) once we hit conference play.

I watch a lot of South Carolina basketball as well and they brought in a 5th year senior from Minnesota named Talon Cooper. He has good height but not real quick. Pretty good shooter but doesn't really look to score a ton. But just smart as hell and a total team leader who just does all the small things right for a point guard. I would love to bring in an experienced guy similar to him to play point guard and let Boopie be an energy guy off the bench.

Yeah I mean he's shooting 46% from 3 on 102 shots lol - I'd take that for sure.

IMHO, Ituka is still an enigma. He's been injured for two seasons. IDK if you want to keep him around to see whether the preseason flashes actually carry over or move on.

The downside of encouraging him to stay is whether or not he will stay healthy for a season and what he has after two years of not playing. Supposedly he was playable against P5 teams before being injured. IDK if I invest another scholarship year or not. Presumably Forbes and staff have more info on his rehab and capabilities.
Ya I love Jao and think he has it in him to at least be a solid backup pg in him at this level, he is apparently incredibly hard working. My desire to get a replacement for him stems from him not being able to play the last 2 seasons, and our lack of ball handling off the bench has been a consistent theme as a result. The last 2 seasons we have not been able to bring someone off the bench who we can really trust to handle the ball, and that's an issue. Especially this season when we don't have an elite pg like Ty was. If you told me Jao would be 100% for the whole of next season then great, but I think, as we are getting to a point where excuses around the program are wearing thin, having an option with more of a recent track record in game is important. Edited to add it wouldn't completely surprise me, and certainly wouldn't disappoint me, if we didn't even look for a backup pg in this spot and rather someone who can at least give Boopie some competition for his spot. Not necessarily a different profile of player but it would be great if we didn't just settle for a bench piece here. Boopie, hypothetically, could be a pretty electric 6th man.

most of us have no information on Ituka. he hasn't played the last two seasons due to an injury. his only stats we can see was at a lower level college team (Marist) where his Ast/To ratio was 1.6/2.4! he is not the ball handler that we need, he is another SG.

I was excited about Ituka when he committed, but the list of guys who came back to be effective players after missing essentially two complete, back-to-back seasons due to knee problems can't be very long. RS'ing the rest of this year after he was cleared is, to me, a sign that he's going to transfer.

Based on current court rulings, it does not appear that there are any restrictions on players transferring as much as they choose to do so. So, every player on every college roster, including Reid, can transfer after each season. Also, courts have stripped the NCAA of barring pay for play via NIL. So, every player is available to the highest bidder after each season. So, WF will need to make meaty NIL offers to every player that it wants to return next year. Would think the market will be strong for every current WF starter, Parker and even Damari should he choose to play another year of college basketball. If returning this core is important to you, suggest you support WF's NIL collective.

Last edited:
A few months ago, I didn't think there would a lot of uncertainty about the roster for '24-25, but now nothing would surprise me.

There are a whole lot of wildcards. Forbes and staff see a lot more in practice than we do by just watching games, so I'm sure they have an idea about whom they'd like to see return out of Ituka, Canka, Keller, Marsh, Clark.

I'm most interested in:
  • Does Sallis go pro or do we break the bank to try to get him back with some NIL $$$? I suspect he's gone and there's not much we can do about it.
  • Does Carr want to use his extra year of eligibility? I hope so.
  • Does Monsanto come back? I'm not as pessimistic here as some others. If he's really hurt again and needs time to recover, I think Forbes would welcome him back. No idea what is going on behind the scenes, though.
  • Feels like Marsh is who he is at this point. Is he content to return to play behind Reid (maybe?)
  • Keller still has upside if he can get stronger... But perhaps both sides decide to part ways?
Difficult to speculate on the portal right now because we don't know who we'll be losing... But I agree that PG is an area of need (even if Ituka comes back healthy and ready to contribute).

Agree with others that a starting point of Boopie, Cam, Parker, Carr, MMM, and Reid is a good place to start. And if Juke can give 10-15mpg, that'd be great.

Back