• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

There were plenty made to me when we put up the Buzz Out billboards. Tigers wood dig was a reference to one.There are some on here that just want to be absolute dicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think his post was making fun of your extremely weird wood paneled fridge, and had nothing to do with your choice of college, but continue this dumb derailment I guess

I didn’t bash Wake at all. I was pretty clear that I think Wake is a good school. And there have been plenty of posts on this board where grads have made comments like we may have lost but you will be working for me someday.

My 2 cents...

There are smart kids everywhere, including at the worst universities in the US. There are also outstanding faculty members and in several cases high quality individual departments or areas of study at many public institutions. There are a lot more of them at Wake (or at least their used to be). The "best school" lists are notoriously flawed for reasons too numerous to list, but I think a pretty good sign of how good a school is is how successful its alumni are after they've finished school. Of all my acquaintances at Wake, I'm easily the least successful as a career government flunky, but I'm content and live comfortably. Everybody else is either in the very to enormously successful range, and I hung out, by and large, with a bunch of drunks and potheads. But they were smart.

Same thing can be said for my brother, who went to Davidson. All his buddies became doctors, lawyers, and Indian chiefs.

My other brother who went to KU, not so much.

Granted, I can't speak for the quality of education since I left 30 years ago.

My 2 cents...

There are smart kids everywhere, including at the worst universities in the US. There are also outstanding faculty members and in several cases high quality individual departments or areas of study at many public institutions. There are a lot more of them at Wake (or at least their used to be). The "best school" lists are notoriously flawed for reasons too numerous to list, but I think a pretty good sign of how good a school is is how successful its alumni are after they've finished school. Of all my acquaintances at Wake, I'm easily the least successful as a career government flunky, but I'm content and live comfortably. Everybody else is either in the very to enormously successful range, and I hung out, by and large, with a bunch of drunks and potheads. But they were smart.

Same thing can be said for my brother, who went to Davidson. All his buddies became doctors, lawyers, and Indian chiefs.

My other brother who went to KU, not so much.

Granted, I can't speak for the quality of education since I left 30 years ago.
I have experience at numerous institutions in the humanities. Here is my take. Yes, all schools have very smart students and not so great students. Generally, higher ranked schools have a higher proportion of great students so you will benefit with better conversations in seminars, etc. These days pretty much all faculty went to super highly ranked programs for their PhD’s and are the best of the best because the academic job market is so bad. My take on STEM is that it’s more valuable to go to a better school because there will simply be more opportunities, i.e., more labs, etc. All of that to say, it is not unimportant where you go to undergrad at all. Better schools open more doors. It is also not as important to go to a great school as many of us were likely led to believe in HS (this has also changed as the academic job market has gotten worse and worse so great profs are everywhere).

If we go deep in the NIT are we likely to start hearing roster news while we're still playing or do you guys think it's gonna be silence until this season's actually over?

If we go deep in the NIT are we likely to start hearing roster news while we're still playing or do you guys think it's gonna be silence until this season's actually over?
My guess is we have silence from now until the season is over, unless perhaps a bench player decides to enter the portal.

I saw this pop to the top and thought we might have much needed portal prospects. Still discussing fridges though…

Back