• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Boopie played what, 6 games, then got hurt?

Ten games? Some were blowouts.

Then an entire season with us. So he's just getting started as a 5'11 point guard.

disagree. like the previous poster said, if you had a checklist of characteristics you wanted in a point guard, boopie has pretty much none of them. his lack of height is what makes him a “PG” but that doesn’t mean he should be playing there.
Disagree. The notion of a locked in role of PG as distributor is outdated. Our team being near last in assisted field goals is far more a result of our current playing style and roster construction. It was very obvious that Forbes instructed the team to move the ball upcourt quickly to score on the fast break before the defense was set. Another obvious thing about our offense is that Boopie’s opportunities for assists in our half court sets would have depended on our players taking earlier 3 point shots, instead of Sallis and Hildreth so frequently putting their heads down and trying to break their man down off the dribble. Very rarely did I notice Boopie missing cutters or open shooters. Our starting roster was made up of 4 ball dominant players, that’s not a recipe for assists.

Boopie's size is fine for a college PG, he's got a great handle and made us basically unpressable, his assist numbers were down a bit compared to his freshman year but that had a lot to do with our personnel and need for him to score. Strong kid with an elite midrange game and 2 more years to improve.

I actually think my biggest question mark with him is his outside shooting. At his size and given that he's a scorer more than a distributor, his jumper is an issue. More of a set shot, has weird spin, mechanics aren't great... He got hot at times and has some range, but he also ran through a 10 game ACC stretch where he made only 4 threes shooting just over 15%. Those stretches tend to happen when you have poor fundamentals, and we lost like 4 games in single digits during that run. When Cam got hurt and couldn't shoot it, Boopie's inconsistency from outside really hurt us. To get where we want to be, it's just not talent or ceiling - it's consistency. I definitely question whether Boopie can get to "legit NCAA tourney quality PG" without fixing his shot.

Considering we wanted our starting 5 back, obviously Sallis is #1 and I'd put Reid #2 just because his presence as a true 5 is critical for us. Cam is the backbone of the team because when healthy he's extremely versatile on both ends. I think I'd give Carr the edge over Boopie even if with the potential extra year, his length and all-around game is harder to replace I think. As the 5th most important returning starter I completely understand not caving to his NIL demands. Especially considering Forbes played the Parker/Sallis/Cam combo a ton during Boopie's struggles this year. There wasn't much question at any point who the top 4 were at any point this season.

Probably the fastest growing untapped sector in sports entertainment. I suspect at least a couple of the Monday women's Elite 8 games draw fantastic numbers.

LSU/Iowa rematch of championship from last year might set a new record.

SC vs either NCSU or Texas should do quite well too. Not sure about Oregon St.

LSU/Iowa rematch of championship from last year might set a new record.

SC vs either NCSU or Texas should do quite well too. Not sure about Oregon St.

Has there been a more clear face vs. heel matchup in a college sports tournament in the last decade or so than Iowa vs. LSU?

elite 8 game in albany today is going for $6, tomorrow the cheapest is like $120

Boopie played what, 6 games, then got hurt?

Ten games? Some were blowouts.

Then an entire season with us. So he's just getting started as a 5'11 point guard.
Played a full freshman season at Central Michigan. Got hurt early in his sophomore year.

apologies in advance for this rant

i think the reason players like boopie are generally overrated is closely related to why every piece of evidence suggests european basketball is more efficient than nba / american basketball (tons of yt videos about this): points per game is by far the most overrated stat in basketball.

logically, scoring the basketball (which is more than ppg, since efficiency is a factor too) is only 10% of the game:

50% of basketball is offense, 50% is defense.

on offense, 1/5 is what you do with the ball, the other 4/5 is making it easier for your teammates (passing, spacing, not turning it over, setting picks, cutting, offensive rebounding, etc.).

that 80% of offense without the ball (plus the entire half of basketball that is playing defense) is usually gets unfortunately overshadowed
I get the point and I’m generally sympathetic to what you’re getting at but the 10% figure is wrong

shot-making is the most important skill in basketball

PPG is overrated (see: Caleb Love) but scoring (efficiently) is not overrated

Spillers & Kyle seem to fit the same role so assuming Wake can only land one, is there any personal preference? I thought Spillers looked good in NIT game.

I agree, they seem similar. Both undersized PFs…and neither of them have any outside shot. Should not take both.

Spillers appears to be a little bit better across the board - better rebounder, better FT shooter, better offensive rating. Did it against slightly better competition and numbers held up better against the comparison to ACC comp.

Neither shoots 3s.

The selling points for Kyle: he’s bigger (6’9 vs 6’7), slightly better block rate, and maybe most important, 2 years left vs 1.

Back