• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Rothstein’s too early top 45:

34. Wake Forest

Projected Starting 5:
G
Hunter Sallis
G Parker Friedrischen
G Cam Hildreth
F Andrew Carr
C Efton Reid
Projected Bench: Jao Ituka, Juke Harris, Abramo Canka, Tre'Von Spillers
Key Newcomers: Juke Harris, Tre'Von Spillers (Appalachian State)
Key Losses: Damari Monsanto, Kevin Miller, Aaron Clark
COVID Seniors with additional eligibility: Andrew Carr

34. Wake Forest

Projected Starting 5:
G
Hunter Sallis
G Parker Friedrischen
G Cam Hildreth
F Andrew Carr
C Efton Reid

Huge news from Rothstein that Ituka is coming back!

And if Sallis comes back (he won't), #34 is way too low (understanding that we don't have an actual PG on the roster right now).

@birdman ...this begs the question...which Big Ten schools have the best birding nearby?
Easily the new ones, Washington and Oregon. With the mountains, the coasts, the dry grasslands in the eastern part of these states, those two states have by far the best bird diversity and most beautiful places to go looking.

Didn’t it come down to Canka vs Dell’Orso for that last spot? Seem to remember Dell’Orso announcing he was going back to Campbell right after we took Canka

I was trying to put together the timeline on that. I know that Sallis joining probably didn't help w/ Dell'Orso, but not sure about Canka.

I think Dell'Orso was supposed to visit, but then announced he was returning to Campbell.

No idea if we're interested this time around, but not sure why we wouldn't at least kick the tires given the proximity of Campbell.

Easily the new ones, Washington and Oregon. With the mountains, the coasts, the dry grasslands in the eastern part of these states, those two states have by far the best bird diversity and most beautiful places to go looking.
Better than California?

Dell'Orso entered the portal on April 2nd.

Hunter Sallis committed to Wake Forest on April 26th.

Dell'Orso announced he was returning to Campbell on May 5th.

It came out that Bobi was not doing the NBA Combine AND not returning to Wake Forest on May 15th.

Abramo Canka committed to Wake Forest on May 18th.

Dell'Orso was a chucker (32.1% of shots at Campbell, #43 nationally), and doesn't fill a big positional need, but despite the volume, he was at 54.0 efFG% (#372), 58.5 TS% (279), 80.6 FT% (#327), and 38.7 3P% (#292) on 119 attempts. It seems like any kid who can shoot like that is a take, especially with two years of eligibility remaining.

Dell'Orso was a chucker (32.1% of shots at Campbell, #43 nationally), and doesn't fill a big positional need, but despite the volume, he was at 54.0 efFG% (#372), 58.5 TS% (279), 80.6 FT% (#327), and 38.7 3P% (#292) on 119 attempts. It seems like any kid who can shoot like that is a take, especially with two years of eligibility remaining.

Completely agree. Was clearly the best player on a pretty shitty Campbell team, but his numbers do jump out at you. And his tape is solid.

Way more than just a 3 point shooter. Can score from anywhere, handles the ball a bit, and looks to be a willing passer.

34. Wake Forest

Projected Starting 5:
G
Hunter Sallis
G Parker Friedrischen
G Cam Hildreth
F Andrew Carr
C Efton Reid
Aside from the Sallis and Ituka silliness, apparently Clark a bigger loss than either Marsh or Keller? Have to assume Rothstein did this little research on all but his top 10.

Dell’Orso would be great but I can’t imagine he gives us the time of day unless he’s certain he won’t be blocked by Sallis.

I like DellOrso. On top of all of the other points, he really improved during the season, and was close to unstoppable over the last couple of months. Shot 41% from three in conference; here are his point totals over the last 10 games of the season:

• 34 (against a good UNCW team)
He's also 6-6, only 20 years-old and averaged 6.5 boards a game. Expect him to be a contributor on a power conference team next season.

That’s the opposite of a nothing burger.

with only four good players coming back next year -- and one undersized big committed -- I don't see how we're in a spot to play the position-of-need game right now
If Sallis is gone, I'm expecting Spillers to start at the 3 and be in the All-ACC HM conversation. I did a detailed breakdown of all of Forbes's transfers here, but Spillers is the first Forbes transfer, possibly the first in school history, to be First-Team All-Conference at his old school, and he did it on the second-highest-ranked non-P6 team of any Forbes transfer. One of his teammates was also named first-team, but Spillers was 1A or 1B on a team that was, efficiency-wise, almost identical to Florida State or Syracuse. In addition to that, the staff clearly liked his skill set and made him an early priority. On paper, he's the best transfer Forbes has ever gotten, and I'd be surprised if he doesn't make a major impact.

I am by no means suggesting that we turn down good players based on position at this point. However, this is what we have on the roster:

Cam
Carr
Reid
Parker
Juke
MMM
Canka
Spillers

Unless we get an early decision from Sallis, that roster spot is probably dead. Two years ago, we never filled Jake's spot. Last year, we replaced Bobi with Canka, which... yeah. That leaves us with four spots. I think everyone agrees we need a big, and we absolutely need a point guard, preferably two. Again, it's early and you take the good players where you find them, but we do have bigger holes at the moment.

It's tough -- the thought of going into the season with only Cam/PF/Juke as 2/3 options isn't great either. Spillers will play plenty at the 3 along with some at the 4, but doesn't shoot, so I don't really consider him in that mold. So I think we need another "best player available" type in that mold as well.

4 spots:
2 PG
1 wing
1 big

Back