• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

He was always going to announce, so you're right, no surprise there. Carr would have more information than we do though, both about Sallis and what's in our incoming pipeline.

I'm open to the possibility they're completely unrelated, but my gut still says they aren't.

If Carr isn't leaving for money, then I agree, but Boopie, Sallis and basically every other player in the country are $$$ driven. There are no restraints on transferring. No obligations to finish a contract, just purely market driven and if someone will give a kid an extra $100,000 next year they will take it. There may be about 5-10 players in the country that are doing it for titles, but honestly titles don't mean anything. You are either positioning yourself for the draft or grabbing the money.

If this existed back in the 90's we would have been depleted by NIL money from bigger schools. Guys like Rutland would have left for some SEC school after a nice freshman year.
We've never been able to recruit head-to-head consistently against the Duke's, UNC's, Kentucky's, etc. in basketball, or the FSU's, Clemson's, Notre Dame's, etc. in football, but for years we could hold our own by attracting good players who also valued having a Wake Forest degree from a big-time school on a small, intimate campus. And maybe the smaller, pretty campus is still an attraction at some surface level during a visit, but I don't think the academic value/prestige of a Wake degree is a factor at all anymore outside a select few. I hope we can hang in at the highest levels of college sports, but w/o major reforms in the athletic/academic model I'll be o.k. with whatever happens.

I'm confused and frustrated. We're a top 30 NIL program, but it's still not enough and we're struggling somewhat (reading between the lines) in that regard. Sallis is going pro, as expected. Carr is now gone. We had hoped to have 4-5 starters return next year, and now we're staring at 2, assuming nothing else goes wrong.

Bummer.

Last edited:
He was always going to announce, so you're right, no surprise there. Carr would have more information than we do though, both about Sallis and what's in our incoming pipeline.

I'm open to the possibility they're completely unrelated, but my gut still says they aren't.
Ya you definitely could be right there. To me, Carr transferring is pretty damning for the program, and indicates that he does not have faith in us putting together a high level team. That would definitely be an indication he doesn't expect Sallis back and/or a good stable of transfers incoming. If he goes pro (Europe or trying his luck in the U.S.), I don't feel there's much to surmise about our program from that decision.

Agreed. Isn’t that the whole point? If you aren’t reporting then why are you getting paid to be a reporter?

He was asked by the player not to report it until it was official. Seems reasonable to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only hope with this is that State made it to the final four with all transfers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm confused and frustrated. We're a top 30 NIL program, but it's still not enough and we're struggling somewhat (reading between the lines) in that regard. Sallis is going pro, as expected. Carr is now gone. We had hoped to have 4-5 starters return next year, and now we're staring at 2, assuming nothing else goes wrong.

Bummer.
Top 30 NIL has to do with what we can pay players. If Carr doesn't want to be at Wake (no idea if that is true or not), NIL doesn't matter. NIL will matter for purposes of bringing in folks who can replace Carr.

Bummer.

Confused? We've been to the NCAAT once in 14 years. Players want to play in that tournament. We are essentially a zombie basketball program currently.

Top 30 NIL has to do with what we can pay players. If Carr doesn't want to be at Wake (no idea if that is true or not), NIL doesn't matter. NIL will matter for purposes of bringing in folks who can replace Carr.
Kind of. I'd rather play golf or do charity work, but make decent money at a career I don't really "want" to be doing. NIL money could/should be a trump card for some. We'll see if he goes pro or transfers.
Confused? We've been to the NCAAT once in 14 years. Players want to play in that tournament. We are essentially a zombie basketball program currently.
Slightly confused, yeah, but probably because I was overly optimistic about our NIL abilities, particularly when it comes to player retention. Seems like the NIL market in general is more inflated and chaotic than most expected.

Conventional wisdom that NIL resources for men's college basketball would wane after a couple of years, but so far, the opposite has happened. An increasing number of schools have well-funded collectives supported by donors that are willing to pony up to get players to attend their school.

Why do our beat reporters always say nothing and then when news drops they're like "no surprise here, knew this was coming."

Like the sun doesn't come up one day and Les is on twitter saying he "knew this was in the works, not shocked." Another reason I didn't re-subscribe.

paywalls should be for behind the scenes stories, up close personnel issues, cool player biographies, details important only to fans within the org. . . breaking news should be just that, news! and its also how you establish and keep your cred as a journalist. you get the big scoop news, blast it out!!

the cryptic stuff drives me insane. . . its also just turd-like toward the fanbase you hope to entice.

Seems like when negative news hits the program many here like to take it out on the 247 WF site.

The post on the WF 247 Board breaking this news (yes, 247 offered the first hint on this) was "bad news coming". The opposite of "no surprise here, knew this was coming". Not saying 247 is staffed with pulitzer prize winning investigative journalists (far from it), but that site does break news and provides intel that isn't generally available elsewhere.

Yes, the reports on that site are slanted to put positive spins on things toward WF (would say that WF 247 posters are the worst generally grasping to turn any news into a positive spin, and there are so many there that are ignorantly counting on Sallis to return -- drives me crazy), but if you can't figure that on your own and adjust for it, that's on you, not them.

Breaking the news would be, "Carr is not returning to Wake," not "bad news coming." Reporting the news would be a story with quotes from Carr, maybe Forbes, and insight on what's next for Carr and the program.

Ya you definitely could be right there. To me, Carr transferring is pretty damning for the program, and indicates that he does not have faith in us putting together a high level team. That would definitely be an indication he doesn't expect Sallis back and/or a good stable of transfers incoming. If he goes pro (Europe or trying his luck in the U.S.), I don't feel there's much to surmise about our program from that decision.
I can't say you're wrong. But without hearing from Carr, we can't extrapolate too much about a guy deciding to do something else after four years of college ball, even if he wants to play a 5th year somewhere else.

Seems like when negative news hits the program many here like to take it out on the 247 WF site.

The post on the WF 247 Board breaking this news (yes, 247 offered the first hint on this) was "bad news coming". The opposite of "no surprise here, knew this was coming". Not saying 247 is staffed with pulitzer prize winning investigative journalists (far from it), but that site does break news and provides intel that isn't generally available elsewhere.

Yes, the reports on that site are slanted to put positive spins on things toward WF (would say that WF 247 posters are the worst generally grasping to turn any news into a positive spin, and there are so many there that are ignorantly counting on Sallis to return -- drives me crazy), but if you can't figure that on your own and adjust for it, that's on you, not them.
Now really tempted to just post a cryptic, baseless "Good news coming soon" new thread here and let the hilarity ensue. Then when our next player commits, I can just claim that's what I was referencing. Not saying that's what happens at 247, but is basically the same end result.

Now really tempted to just post a cryptic, baseless "Good news coming soon" new thread here and let the hilarity ensue. Then when our next player commits, I can just claim that's what I was referencing. Not saying that's what happens at 247, but is basically the same end result.
Understand, but Carr was identified as the WF roster loss within 12 hours.

Lucky for you, good news IS coming soon !

Breaking the news would be, "Carr is not returning to Wake," not "bad news coming." Reporting the news would be a story with quotes from Carr, maybe Forbes, and insight on what's next for Carr and the program.

I can't say you're wrong. But without hearing from Carr, we can't extrapolate too much about a guy deciding to do something else after four years of college ball, even if he wants to play a 5th year somewhere else.
For sure, without being in the program it's hard to know anything for certain, and I'm sure within the program things are very fluid right now anyways. There are so many factors at play that it'll be difficult to draw real conclusions even after we get an official announcement and details.

I always felt like WFU was a great fit for what Carr wanted and have never seen him as a real risk to transfer until now, so transferring would (right or wrong) sway my opinion moreso than him going the professional route. I guess my thinking would be, "what changed that led to WFU (school or bball program) not being the right place to finish his college career?" It very well could just be that he wants to get closer to home and we will have the money to bring in an upgrade. To me, that seems less likely than him simply feeling he needs to go somewhere else to be competitive.

At the end of the day, these guys leaving is disappointing, but they are players with which we never accomplished anything meaningful. There are plenty of upgrades out there on players like Boopie and Carr, now we need to have faith it wasn't smoke being blown up our behinds about being competitive NIL-wise.

Back